-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're ever in a jam, hammer a 12 point socket on and spin it off. Watched a ruski get all the nuts off a car except the locking lugs. He pinched the crap out of his fingers with channeloks trying to spin off the locks. When he gave up.....I nabbed them in 2 minutes.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IT took a cutting torch when it happened to me.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Somewhere I have a reverse easy out set. Spiraled socket thing. Those tires guys, no never sieze, impact set to about 1000 pounds. I have seen some dandy butress threads except the butress is wrong way.

Dont even mention left handed old Dodges or lug bolts

Speaking of Ford, you see those 7 hole wheels, or 6 hole but not chevy 6?

Last edited by kennyd; 06/25/22.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by kennyd
Somewhere I have a reverse easy out set. Spiraled socket thing. Those tires guys, no never sieze, impact set to about 1000 pounds. I have seen some dandy butress threads except the butress is wrong way.

Dont even mention left handed old Dodges or lug bolts

Speaking of Ford, you see those 7 hole wheels, or 6 hole but not chevy 6?

Saw a 6 hole Chevy Black Widow once.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, they do bulge out of shape over time. It can be better to replace them.the Ford lug has a threaded steel piece inside, covered by a shroud of another metal that forms the lug flats. It's the shroud that bulges out shape and can look like it will separate from the steel threaded piece.

I replaced mine after the years with solid steel lug nuts.

I'd say if they are bulging, replace them. Not only do the steel ones look better, they're not going to fail you.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Dodge had the same crap for lug nuts on it.

It didn't show and I never realized they were trashed until I attempted to remove them and found there wasn't a sockett made that'd fit them.

Fortunately the truck was in my shop at the time and not sitting beside the road with a flat.

Hammered on a impact sockett, one by one and took them all off and replaced them for 20 some-odd bucks via Amazon.

I doubt any auto manufacture makes their own, they buy them all from the same Chink, no vehicles immune.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
None of that crap on my 1995 Taco!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
There was a thread here last week about this. It’s caused by the aluminum shell on the steel lug nuts corroding and distorting, sometimes to the point your lug wrench won’t fit. Check them out, replace with all steel nuts.
Any engineer who would spec an aluminum cap on a steel lug nut is an idiot.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by elwood
Tell me about "Warped Lug Nuts". Took my truck to Ford dealer last week for an oil change and tire rotation. They called and told me I had warped lug nuts and wanted an additional $125.00 to replace them. I asked if this was like "blinker fluid" and they said No...its a real thing. I declined the service. Ever heard of such a thing? It's an F -150.

It means the monkey they have doing the tire rotations used the wrong tool, screwed up the lug nuts, and now they want you to pay to replace them. An ethical company would say "sorry we screwed the job up but we'll make it right" then they'd fix it right on their own dime. This is a car dealership we're talking about though, so ethics don't apply.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was 60 miles out in the boonies last fall on one of Cookie's photo runs. A young couple camped nearby with a spiffy new lifted truck wearing custom wheels. One went flat and the owner found out none of his equipment would fit the lugs and no one else had equipment that would work either. Local tire shop drove down and changed his tire. Never did hear what the cost was.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/25/22.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just had to change these crappy lug nuts on my 2014 Silverado.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by elwood
Tell me about "Warped Lug Nuts". Took my truck to Ford dealer last week for an oil change and tire rotation. They called and told me I had warped lug nuts and wanted an additional $125.00 to replace them. I asked if this was like "blinker fluid" and they said No...its a real thing. I declined the service. Ever heard of such a thing? It's an F -150.
It means the monkey they have doing the tire rotations used the wrong tool, screwed up the lug nuts, and now they want you to pay to replace them. An ethical company would say "sorry we screwed the job up but we'll make it right" then they'd fix it right on their own dime. This is a car dealership we're talking about though, so ethics don't apply.
Did you read the thread identifying the problem?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pay $60,000.00 or more for a new truck and they put on lug nuts not worth a democrat. Got it.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pounding a tight fitting socket on the stripped out stamped cover nuts does work to get them out, had to do it on four of them on that Focus. I think that the covers are stainless steel, a least on the ones that I've dealt with.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Al.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
If Ford wasn't the first, they certainly strive to be the best at screwing up something as simple as a lugnut. This is why I absolutely HATE Fords. They engineer failure into every vehicle and I won't buy another.

Sounds a lot like a certain maker of rifles - make something with a defect, and everyone who likes the brand will try to deflect the fault to the users or other outside factors.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
None of that crap on my 1995 Taco!

So since then Toyoda has apparently forgotten how to install lug nuts on new vehicles! Consider yourself lucky!

---Toyota recalls new bZ4X electric vehicle after wheels start falling off---

If you paid $42,000 for a car, the least one might expect is to have its wheels remain firmly attached to the vehicle instead of, say, falling off at a moment’s notice. And yet here we are, Toyota.

The Wall Street Journal reports that the Japanese carmaker has been forced to recall every single bZ4X sold since its recent release earlier this year — around 2,700 cars globally. The cause? Well, it’s the darndest thing. You see, the wheels keep popping off at the exact worst times. Hell, anytime it pops off after exiting the factory floor is probably the worst time.

Click Here

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Also, several posters here don't know [bleep].

Ha! You just now realized that?? grin

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Once had a jeep that had the caps eventually come off of the nuts. The caps loosened up early on and eventually came off. A metric socket fit perfectly on the bare nut. I think it was 17mm but the jeep is long gone now. I thought that the caps were chrome.

I have had a toyota now for as look as I'd had the jeep and the nuts are just fine.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Warped Lugnuts" loosely translated means we cranked your schit down with an impact wrench and no anti seize.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 64 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.