Print Thread
Hop To
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Had a new 700 action in the vault too long. An RR that was purchased a year or 2 before the bankruptcy. Took it & a new Krieger blank to my bud with instructions.

Part of my instructions concerned the action & to recut the threads only if really necessary, maybe skim cut the face. He said let's put it in the lathe now if ya got time. The truing mandrel was very snug in the action, & after truing the mandrel in the lathe we saw a .0003" total indicated runout on the face. The, .0004" TIR on the threads. Awesome. No truing necessary IMO. Time & money saved.

This being an example of one I thought, my bud said he'd recently done 2 of the new Remarms actions & they had a low runout as well. They now seem to be up in price by 30% but may be worth looking at if not wanting to go full blown custom, or pay for a truing job that might not be needed.

YMMV

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gunzo my 6.5-300 Wby,300 prc and 22 cm are on RR prefixes, all were tits. Got $250-$300 apiece in em. šŸ‘ŠšŸ»

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, Iā€™d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ainā€™t easy havin pals.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have built on 4 or 6 of the RR actions, and mine have been very close to what gunzo has. I have built on several older 700's and they were no where near as good as my experience has been with the RR as far as the receiver goes. I think they still have a hit or miss on bolt timing even with the RR

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Iā€™ve had a couple built on RR actions. There was no truing of the action. Theyā€™re excellent accuracy wise.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have about a dozen rifles built on 700 actions, all have been trued or blueprinted, most were not bad and didn't need much. the worst was a custom shop 40X that was bad, I even had to send the bolt to GreTan to get bushed.
Worst truing job I ever had to get done was not a Remington but a Vaunted F'n Tikka, one locking lug on the bolt was .018" from making contact with the receiver.....garbage!!! now I shoot real Tikka's called Sako's

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've got alot of Remington actions I've built rifles on sure there accurate enough for my purposes but the new RR
primary extraction sucks big time, while they are truer im done messing with them.
By the time you have the primary extraction fixed, bush the bolt your into just about what a Tenacity costs and more than a Mac bros action.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I picked up a a couple of those going out of business Remy actions.

One was 3 thousands off - this is fairly normalā€¦

The second was 6 thousand offā€¦. WOWā€¦

I recut both single point wiseā€¦

Itā€™s actually pretty cool if you are doing this because you re-cut up the ā€œbackā€ side of the thread first, then you simply clean up the front side..

The back side is mating surface in the action.

Donā€™t EVER let anyone tell you that using one of those ā€œtruing taps ā€œ rigā€™s workā€¦ God..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Theres a difference in smiths " truing"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Donā€™t EVER let anyone tell you that using one of those ā€œtruing taps ā€œ rigā€™s workā€¦ God..[/quote]

Not sure they build on Remington much anymore, but wasnā€™t that how GAP trued them? They turned out some good shooting guns based off the 700.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very easy to take a "crooked" receiver,grind a crooked lug,throw a positve headspaced James spout aboard,hacksaw the crown and have it fhuqking HAMMER,with magfed smooches. Hint.

Myth's and Wives Tales die lingering deaths,fueled expressly by them who shoot the least. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Very easy to take a "crooked" receiver,grind a crooked lug,throw a positve headspaced James spout aboard,hacksaw the crown and have it fhuqking HAMMER,with magfed smooches. Hint.

Myth's and Wives Tales die lingering deaths,fueled expressly by them who shoot the least. Hint.

After 20 years thereā€™s finally something we agree on. Your still a bacon throated sawed off rat turd though. šŸ˜˜šŸ˜‚šŸ‘ŠšŸ»

Ainā€™t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Big Stick

After 20 years thereā€™s finally something we agree on. šŸ˜˜šŸ˜‚šŸ‘ŠšŸ»

Finally! LOL

Get a room you two! Haha!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I know everybody says they are garbage, but the last 700 I bought new was leftover inventory made just before the bankruptcy. I bought a 700 AAC-SD Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor for $450 new in the box. I sold the stock off it for $100. It also came with a $75 rebate. I put it in an H-S take-off stock from another project that I had $100 in. For $375, I have the best shooting 700 I've ever had with a factory tube. With leftover ammo tuned from my old Tikka CTR, it was shooting .2s and .3s. I did a little load development for the gun, and averaged five groups of five of sub .3 MOA. I bought it planning to use just the action for a build, but I don't think its one to trash. They may not all shoot like this, but the claims of definite garbage seem unfounded.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Itā€™s the ā€œleupoldā€ contagion. Some folks could fuuck up a lead ball. Alotta those same folks are bandwagon biitch boys that have probably never had a ā€œfailureā€ but will say they did just to talk shiit. Iā€™ve a pile of 700ā€™s, builds, factory yada yada yada with nary a hiccup for 35 years. I suppose Iā€™ll keep ghostin shiit with for another 35. šŸ‘ŠšŸ»

Ainā€™t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is the deal boys an girlsā€¦.

You can take almost any rifle and find a node with it to get it to shootā€¦ but it may be with one load only at one speed onlyā€¦.

IF.. IF you true the rifle to minimize the vibrations from Crocked parts, and put a good barrel on it, and have a good smith chamber it .. You will end up with a rifle that likes multiple bullet weights, and has fairly predictable nodes.

smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.