Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by jwp475
You don't have to use the extra windage marks, just ignore them

The issue is the appearance off the FFP reticle on the lowest power when all that can be seen in lower light is the solid post.

I love FFP but wouldn't consider one without illumination.

With a properly designed reticle, illum wouldn’t be needed.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by jwp475
You don't have to use the extra windage marks, just ignore them

The issue is the appearance off the FFP reticle on the lowest power when all that can be seen in lower light is the solid post.

I love FFP but wouldn't consider one without illumination.

With a properly designed reticle, illum wouldn’t be needed.

John

Exactly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the great write up. I truly enjoyed my conversations with Jon at the Great western Hunting Expo and the international sportsman’s expo. Jon is very knowledgeable but is an extremely humble guy. It’s unfortunate more people you talk to at those shows aren’t like him.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Interesting. The scope shows promise and I'm glad to see it. Did I read that correctly that Tract provided this scope for testing? And they knew you were going to be doing some drops and durability testing? If yes, I find that even more interesting. And promising. Maybe they are coming around on the idea of testing for zero retention? That sure would be a good thing. I say that because on the other site that was doing controlled drop tests, the Tract person there avoided every durability conversation like it was the plague. This is good to see. Thanks for doing the test and posting results.

Some of the folks on Rok Slide requested the Formidilosus style zero retention test. I called Jon Allen and he was absolutely on board, so I will be holding on to the scope for a while longer to conduct those test.

John

So then why didn’t he (or whoever the Tract rep was/is on Rokslide, JWTract) join the party over there and offer a scope to test? That guy did the opposite. He got incredibly evasive once the questions started. So evasive that many folks said they’d no longer consider a Tract scope due to the way questions were dodged. Whatever the case, thanks for taking the time to post your findings here.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 06/25/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And I see this post over there now too. Good stuff.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bill_Davis
John,
Did i miss it or did you forget to include what the power range was for this scope? 3-10, 4-14..fixed power..?
Good write-up just curious which scope you used.
Thanks,
Bill

I neglected to mention it because this scope model is only available in 2.5-15.

https://tractoptics.com/riflescopes/toric-30mm-hunting-scopes

John

In this series of rifle scopes you have 4 different reticle choices, my personal preference was the SFP BDC reticle. the mrad/mrad used in the test would have been my last choice of the 4.
Great write up

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice workup, sir.

For anyone serious about scope performance, a reliable, solid bench mounted scope checker like the one pictured is a tool that will pay for itself many times over.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Interesting. The scope shows promise and I'm glad to see it. Did I read that correctly that Tract provided this scope for testing? And they knew you were going to be doing some drops and durability testing? If yes, I find that even more interesting. And promising. Maybe they are coming around on the idea of testing for zero retention? That sure would be a good thing. I say that because on the other site that was doing controlled drop tests, the Tract person there avoided every durability conversation like it was the plague. This is good to see. Thanks for doing the test and posting results.

Some of the folks on Rok Slide requested the Formidilosus style zero retention test. I called Jon Allen and he was absolutely on board, so I will be holding on to the scope for a while longer to conduct those test.

John

Awesome. Thanks for doing the 3' drop zero retention. Looking forward reading the results.

Visiting the reticle again... If someone likes the reticle and wants a 9 mils of windage hold or likes the 18+ mil spacing between the outer post, then great for you. The closer heavy bars are beneficial for the hunting I do, both long and short. On a target it's fine to ignore the extra hashes. While hunting in low light, broken backgrounds, or faster target acquisition, the extra spacing hurts...this can't be "ignored".

After using a lot of reticles, the following is really, really good for a FFP hunting reticle....I think the only improvement I'd recommend is limiting illumination to only the inner .5 mil plex...or even removing illumination to lighten the scope and simplify:

[Linked Image from images.eurooptic.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
GOOD illumination,is NEVER a "compromise" and is rather soothing in The Jungle. Hint.

The TT above,is very 1-6x FFP Lit Bitch HD-esque,though shy of same. Hint.

1x here. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

6x here. No big deal to stretch it to 1000yds++ or gun it like a RDS. It is an amazingly handy bitch. Hint.

The 2-12x Gen2 FFP Mil/Mil Lit Bitch's reticle is squarely sensational for killing. That again,no matter the distance. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great review John. Regarding your suggestions for the reticle, I concur with the following additional modification—I would add a relatively small 0.05mil floating center dot instead of the intersecting crosshairs at the center. This would allow for a fine aiming point on paper and small targets.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Very good review. I have 3 of the new\ scopes with SFP/T plex reticles and for a hunting scope I feel they are ideal.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I like the TT reticle, but it could be improved. I have the SS 1-6HD and it’s reticle is probably the closest to the do it all FFP reticle out there but I’d still change a couple of things for a long range capable hunting scope. I’d remove the CQB circle and probably the upper post to declutter the FOV for spotting your own impacts and in a higher magnification application like the Toric Hunter, I’d thin up the center portion to probably .05 or maybe .07 mils, and I really like what the THLR reticle does with its bottom post. It brings it up to 1.3 mils below center so you can use it for a dead on hold for close range, so I’d do that.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hondo
Thanks for a very comprehensive and thorough test.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent review - thank you for taking the time (and sharing).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't know how in the hell anyone is supposed to take this test seriously when there is no nail polish on the screws and pretty colored tape.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I don't know how in the hell anyone is supposed to take this test seriously when there is no nail polish on the screws and pretty colored tape.
It’s the shooting equivalent of spandex.
grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I place no credence in any scope review that wasn’t conducted in a public park with the optic clamped to the ramada support post.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I place no credence in any scope review that wasn’t conducted in a public park with the optic clamped to the ramada support post.
No candy for you …

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

That was a great review. On a separate note, do you miss the Stick that much you need to invoke him to review the review?

Why not just review the review?

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like to be rather thorough,in a critique. Hint.

Brokedick Crying Karens,will never not Whine. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,149
Posts18,465,009
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.