Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tomorrow, my best bud Mark and I fly out to Kodiak to do some fishing. Mark's a good dude. Funny as hell. I always joked that he's a confrontation looking for a place to happen though. When he's driving and I am talking to him on the phone, if the conversation goes for more than 10 minutes, I'll hear his horn honk along with some cussing. He also likes to do things to provoke or gauge response.

In fact that's what he was doing when I met him. We were both stationed in Kodiak with the Coast Guard. I took a part time job at the Coast Guard exchange working ithe gun counter and sporting goods. I was behind the counter. He walks up and starts BSing. He asked about one of the guns. Without hesitation, I handed it to him. Before everything was said and done, he had asked to handle about every gun we had. When he ran out of steam, I quipped that we had some in the back in boxes that I'd let him fondle. He laughed. And thus it began. Two coastal Mississippians in a far away land became best hunting and fishing buds. His 15 year old son is joining us.

We'll be staying with an old friend who has a nice offshore boat. Halibut and salmon should come back with us as checked baggage. If I have service where we'll be, I'll post some pics. Damn, I need this getaway.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'll look forward to the pics.

We deal in lead, friend.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't get et by a bear.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reds are running, just find a good creek mouth and snag a home pak then go fishing.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
They're probably not in any danger- - - - - - -There's a few things even a bear won't eat.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JeffA
Reds are running, just find a good creek mouth and snag a home pak then go fishing.

They're running in some creeks. Haven't seen them in Pasagshak and Buskin is closed. I didn't well at Afognak last week.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nice, enjoy…….very jealous in the middle of this heat wave here….

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Don't get et by a bear.

I spent a crap ton of time afield when I was stationed there. I saw very few in the wilds and never had any show any kind of aggression. I was driving down the main highway after dark one evening and saw a sow with two cubs cross. I stopped in the road beside them, rolled my window down and growled at them. Mom wheeled around lightning fast, huffed and popped her teeth at me. That gave me the cold willies.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

They're running in some creeks. Haven't seen them in Pasagshak and Buskin is closed. I didn't well at Afognak last week.

He lives way out in Chiniak. Of all the end of the road places in Kodiak, I spent less time there. I have no idea what's close for creeks/rivers. When are the sea run silvers in close? Seems like they show up offshore well before they migrate in.

Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a great trip! Holler if you need another Coastie!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Sounds like a great trip! Holler if you need another Coastie!

Active or retired?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Have a great time Paul and take lots of pics.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PB,

Look into a hunting outfitter while you’re up there talking to the locals. It would be pretty cool to have a direction to pursue for a hunt should you want to do a bucket list hunt for big game in AK.

Hope you have a great trip.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When we were stationed there, it was pre-911. Our base was basically wide open. We had a front gate to the main base, but the guard arms were rarely down and guards were rarely on duty. Mark got drunk at a party 5-6 miles down the road in Bell's Flats. He decided to ride a Honda ATC 90 back to the base. He wheeled off of the main highway into the base, throttled up and was immediately peeled from the little three wheeler by the guard arm right across the chest. Luckily the guard knew him and helped see him back to the barracks.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
PaulBarnyard: Enjoy yourselves!
Sounds like you may have an "insider" and already know where to fish but in case you don't theres this.
My friends and I have fished for King Salmon two different years off of a live aboard fishing vessel.
We caught King Salmon to 72 pounds across the way from the town of Kodiak in Marmot Bay of Afognak Island!
There was/is a small lumber camp with sheltered tie-up for over nighting there. And we fished right out in front of it.
I wish I could remember the name of the huge plugs we were using to catch these monsters - I'll make a phone call and see if I can retrieve that info.
Hope the weather "holds" for you and again enjoy yourselves.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Leave the spandex and the bike at home.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
PaulBarnyard: Enjoy yourselves!
Sounds like you may have an "insider" and already know where to fish but in case you don't theres this.
My friends and I have fished for King Salmon two different years off of a live aboard fishing vessel.
We caught King Salmon to 72 pounds across the way from the town of Kodiak in Marmot Bay of Afognak Island!
There was/is a small lumber camp with sheltered tie-up for over nighting there. And we fished right out in front of it.
I wish I could remember the name of the huge plugs we were using to catch these monsters - I'll make a phone call and see if I can retrieve that info.
Hope the weather "holds" for you and again enjoy yourselves.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Leave the spandex and the bike at home.

We will be a long haul from where you fished. Kinda the opposite side ofthe island. I think we'll be pretty well set.

Thanks for the reminder. I knew I was forgetting something!

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Nice!
Been a long time since I was on Kodiak. Pretty cool place.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

He lives way out in Chiniak. Of all the end of the road places in Kodiak, I spent less time there. I have no idea what's close for creeks/rivers. When are the sea run silvers in close? Seems like they show up offshore well before they migrate in.

It's a bit early for much Coho action, it'll be Kings and Reds.
Just be sure to snag your Reds in the mouth.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Have a great time Paul and take lots of pics.

When I was there, it was before digital cameras became common, and a decade before cell phone cameras got decent. I have a few pics from my days there, but they aren't very good quality. I hope to fix that this time.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Have a great trip! Pm me when you get back with some tips. I'm heading there in Aug w a group of guys for our first time.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.