B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 99guy
I'd leave the way it is and stuff that thing with 175 grain NPs and rain death and destruction....

I don't know if I'll ever by anymore partitions though since SPS thinks they have to price gouge the fu ck out of us.

I love the 175 NP with its great BC, but true dat...

Yeah, it sure is an excellent bullet. I'll run across some eventually on a closeout deal or something like that..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by LightninHopkins
Thank you buddy, love the red and I know what to get now.

Originally Posted by LightninHopkins
What brand of red recoil pad you using on them brown rifles?

pre fit limbsaver?

Red pachmayr 1" decelerators on the brown PoundR's shown in the first pic.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That's always my "go to" red pad and works well on magnum rifles. ^^^^^

The "pre fit" Limbsaver is also a great recoil pad for reducing recoil on magnum rifles. I do favor the looks of the Pachmayr more though. The fit up on the Limbsaver was excellent: That doesn't always happen with those. Just a warning. Limbsaver makes them for some of the wood stocked model 70's and tupperware stocked model 70's. I threw away the packaging, so I don't have the part number on that one.

Here's a better pic of the Limbsaver I'm talking about:

You are welcome. Check Midsouth. They should have more, but shipping takes forever!!!!
Cough cough …
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Oh no. Does it actually say "out of stock". I bought the last 3 they had in the nation.. ha ha.. OOPS..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It does. You did, ya bastid!

But if anyone feels inclined to enrich Larry’s coffers, they actually have them in stock.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

But if anyone feels inclined to enrich Larry’s coffers, they actually have them in stock.

I got time.

“That you will become way less concerned with what other people think of you when you realize how seldom they do.”

But, I have it on good information that "There are no ATM machines in hell".
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Phew!! I was starting to get worried.. grin

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm going to go to the store and look for a good paint to use. Tmitch had a great idea with the OD green color..

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Maybe throw a little black speckle in, I kinda like the way my .358 came out.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
Maybe throw a little black speckle in, I kinda like the way my .358 came out.

That's a beauty. I wish I had some black webbing paint.. I just went with the typical very light texture paint I have. Gives it a good feel and adds a little color. I do like your stock though. I recently bought a Tikka that is very similar:

My new 22-250 resides in that stock now. The 204 may get sent down the road..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, it's painted. Should be really dry by tomorrow. Hot here today!! I think it will look a little better now. Not quite so plain tupperware looking anyway..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not exactly what I was wanting, but it will suffice for now:

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I like green myself. I think it looks sharp on 70’s for some reason.

I agree with the others. Chop the BOSS. Good downrigger weight.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I like green myself. I think it looks sharp on 70’s for some reason.

I agree with the others. Chop the BOSS. Good downrigger weight.

ha ha..

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Came close to buying a Boss Braked SS Classic in the smaller 300 win mag smile but it got sold a few days before but was still displayed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Came close to buying a Boss Braked SS Classic in the smaller 300 win mag smile but it got sold a few days before but was still displayed.

Have you sent your 300wby in for a new red decelerator yet? I'm contemplating putting one on my new to me 300wby XTR Sporter. Still up in the air about selling that one though. If I do, I'm going to leave the original pad on it and let someone else worry about it. She's a kicker with the solid red pad.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Have you sent your 300wby in for a new red decelerator yet? I'm contemplating putting one on my new to me 300wby XTR Sporter. Still up in the air about selling that one though. If I do, I'm going to leave the original pad on it and let someone else worry about it. She's a kicker with the solid red pad.

No I have not sent it in yet. Probably this week or next. My first MK V 300 wby was a Saco Maine SS fluted barrel gun, going to say just a few ounces over 7 lbs . It was a handful at first but 1 year later later not a thought about recoil with it. It was boringly accurate, did not matter what I fed it. I hope this 70 is as accurate.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 06/28/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What say you Winchester guru's?

Sorry, I had to paint my new Brown PoundR and install a red pad on it.. eek I'm pretty happy with how my $350.00 classic synthetic 7mm rem mag turned out though.. She's a shooter and a looker. Had to also install a pre fit limbsaver on that one. The old pad was too ratty.

These are nice looking rifles. Really like the short barrel with sights on the rifle at Top. The second rifle from the Top looks like everything goes together, rifle, stock, scope, etc. What stock is 2nd rifle from the top wearing?

Last edited by mwarren; 06/28/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mwarren
What say you Winchester guru's?

Sorry, I had to paint my new Brown PoundR and install a red pad on it.. eek I'm pretty happy with how my $350.00 classic synthetic 7mm rem mag turned out though.. She's a shooter and a looker. Had to also install a pre fit limbsaver on that one. The old pad was too ratty.

These are nice looking rifles. Really like the short barrel with sights on the rifle at Top. The second rifle from the Top looks like everything goes together, rifle, stock, scope, etc. What stock is 2nd rifle from the top wearing?

Thanks. The rifle on top is a recent purchase. I bought it 2 months ago: it is a 1961 30-06 featherweight in a Mcmillan stock. The second one down is my pre 64 338WM semi custom with Gretan stainless barrel, and midnight blue cerakote. It sits in a Brown Precision PoundR. Its a favorite of mine. One of my favorite elk rifles, since it only weighs about 8 pounds all up. The rifle below that also wears a Brown Precision PoundR. A recent purchase of mine. I have $180 (total) in the stock, after selling the wood stock that it used to wear. That rifle is a very good rechambered 300H&H, now a 300WBY. Shoots lights out and is nice and light as well. Very similar to the 338wm, except for the 2" longer barrel and factory irons. All of these rifles have been glass bedded, and fine tuned, so they shoot very well.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Really like those Brown Precision stocks...especially with the red pads...very nice. I've seen pics of Brown Precision stocks but I guess they have always been on a Rem 700. 8# all up is amazing for a rifle like that in my book.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If Thor were a hunter then I imagine the second rifle from the top would be his hammer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mwarren
If Thor were a hunter then I imagine the second rifle from the top would be his hammer.

Ha ha, yeah. It is a hammer. A pretty precise one at that. One of my favorites for sure. These guys probably get tired of me posting pictures of it...

It's lightweitht, holds 4 magnum cartridges in the box and 1 in the pipe. Pretty good fire power. It balances perfectly. Really a very good combination, like you said. I don't think I'd change a thing on it. The scope is an older Zeiss Conquest that has very nice glass. I went with the 3.5-10x44, since it is one of my main elk rifles and most shots are fairly close:

That 300WBY is pretty much the same way, but with a cheaper Zeiss scope on top. It will work out well enough though.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.