24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dwayne from BC has the most polite posts on the net, I think.

My 30 calibers include an m1 semi auto 30 carbine, a 30'06 model 1895 lever action and a 300 wby accumark. I like the accuracy of the 300wby bolt action the best and shoot it the most.

BP-B6

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
GeekyDater,

If only emotions controlled Facts...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by Sheister
To be honest after wading through the BS on this thread, it matters little which one is recommended in the end. As the OP has stated, he just wants a new rifle and who are we to discourage that line of thought? In fact, this whole site is built on guys buying new stuff and bragging or bagging on it all day long...

My thought is- if you're wanting to get a new rifle, why limit yourself to the two you suggested as they are so close in performance for all intended purposes? Looking around for something a little different that would still get the job done would be the route to take if it were me. Define your needs for the rifle- shooting pop cans at 50 yards? or 500 yards? Hunting at 150 yards? or 1500 yards? Do you reload? How far do you want to carry it all day long? And, probably the most important factor- how much do you want to spend?

No need to bring the discussion to this site if you don't want to, but it does make for colorful conversation... and even though Big Stick has a knack for riling up the natives here, don't discount what he has to say without thorough examination... he lives for this stuff as anyone can easily see...

But, to keep in the spirit of this thread- if it were me I would think seriously about going with a big 7 - 7 RUM, 28 Nosler, 7 Rem Mag, or something similar in a platform with the fewest constraints for experimentation. Big bullets need big mag boxes and the proper freebore, and usually long barrels. That would be my starting point...

I’m looking at the 300 Win/300 Wby because I have a bunch of brand new brass for both. Roughly 400 cases a piece. I also have dies for both. I bought a few hundred 200gr ELD-X that I plan to try. I also have Accubonds in same weight, and 180gr versions as well. I already loaded up some 168gr TTSXs.

I have a 7mm-08, 7x57, and a 7mm Rem Mag. 7mm is actually my favorite bore size, but I kind of just wanted a 300 for giggles since I had all the stuff in hand.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That sounds like as good a reason as any to buy a new rifle... I've bought rifles with less incentive or spare parts laying around... wink

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
300 win mag would be my choice. I’ve owned both mentioned by the op.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
To be honest after wading through the BS on this thread, it matters little which one is recommended in the end. As the OP has stated, he just wants a new rifle and who are we to discourage that line of thought? In fact, this whole site is built on guys buying new stuff and bragging or bagging on it all day long...

My thought is- if you're wanting to get a new rifle, why limit yourself to the two you suggested as they are so close in performance for all intended purposes? Looking around for something a little different that would still get the job done would be the route to take if it were me. Define your needs for the rifle- shooting pop cans at 50 yards? or 500 yards? Hunting at 150 yards? or 1500 yards? Do you reload? How far do you want to carry it all day long? And, probably the most important factor- how much do you want to spend?

No need to bring the discussion to this site if you don't want to, but it does make for colorful conversation... and even though Big Stick has a knack for riling up the natives here, don't discount what he has to say without thorough examination... he lives for this stuff as anyone can easily see...

But, to keep in the spirit of this thread- if it were me I would think seriously about going with a big 7 - 7 RUM, 28 Nosler, 7 Rem Mag, or something similar in a platform with the fewest constraints for experimentation. Big bullets need big mag boxes and the proper freebore, and usually long barrels. That would be my starting point...

I’m looking at the 300 Win/300 Wby because I have a bunch of brand new brass for both. Roughly 400 cases a piece. I also have dies for both. I bought a few hundred 200gr ELD-X that I plan to try. I also have Accubonds in same weight, and 180gr versions as well. I already loaded up some 168gr TTSXs.

I have a 7mm-08, 7x57, and a 7mm Rem Mag. 7mm is actually my favorite bore size, but I kind of just wanted a 300 for giggles since I had all the stuff in hand.

That sounds like as good a reason as any to buy a new rifle... I've bought rifles with less incentive or spare parts laying around... wink

I like that picture of the 300wby. It has been one of my favorites for quite a while now. If you can shoot and handle one, by all means get it. If you have 400 pcs of new brass, I'd suggest selling half of it because you are likely not going to need the full 400 pcs. I probably have a few hundred pcs myself and question why I have so damn much. I'll never wear it out!! I don't shoot my 300wby all too much. This quote from shrap about sums it up on brass use for me as well:
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Jason280
I've been looking hard at an older W German Mark V in .300 Wby, but brass seems to be much harder to source than Win Mag right now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=300%20Weatherby%20brass&Sort=13

Have you really looked?

300 Win or 300 WBY brass, who shoots a 300 enough to wear out 100 rounds of brass.

I have the WBY and haven’t had any problem getting brass and I haven’t worn it out in over 15 years of hunting with it. Whatever a 300 Win can do, the 300 WBY will do it a little better…

I also have 2 new boxes of Norma ammo that I just got with a rifle for free. I'll be selling that at half price at my clubs next gunshow. The prices on Weatherby ammo is damn ridiculous and always has been. The reason I got into handloading my own ammo. The 300wby is fun to play with, but up to a certain point. You won't be shooting 100 rounds in a whack. The other day I fired off 40 rounds from my new rifle:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That pad is solid. Still contemplating pulling it and putting on a red pachmayr decelerator, but I may sell the rifle just the way it is and let someone else deal with it. I did my part by glass bedding it and making sure it's a great shooter...

That's with a load I had laying around. Actually worked up in this rifle a few years ago:
Shot the other day after putting the new Brown PoundR on:

Still performing pretty well, but a slight change in POI with the stock change. I have a 300wm as well, but never shoot it. I also have a 300WSM and 308 Norma. They are all great, but the WBY beats them by a slight margin in velocity. I also have to add that I've had a few 300WBY rifles and they have all shot great. Easily getting sub moa results out of them. YMMV..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
DooshMike,

You are sucking the wrong ass...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
It's easy to see who actually hunts and who just pontificates about BC's, headstamps and other blather.
Yup

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Well boys, I picked up a rifle to go with the ammo I just loaded up. I thought real hard and decided to go full-goatphuq! 9-lug Weatherby Mark V Weathermark, Leupold DD mounts/rings, VX3 3.5-10x40 CDS, and a Claw sling. Only thing I can think of to make this even worse is one of those barrel de-resonators. Maybe I can get open sights and see-through rings later down the road.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Well boys, I picked up a rifle to go with the ammo I just loaded up. I thought real hard and decided to go full-goatphuq! 9-lug Weatherby Mark V Weathermark, Leupold DD mounts/rings, VX3 3.5-10x40 CDS, and a Claw sling. Only thing I can think of to make this even worse is one of those barrel de-resonators. Maybe I can get open sights and see-through rings later down the road.
Take the rifle and kill game the world over. Ignore what anyone else says.

GreggH

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The situation I find myself in is I ended up with 400 brand new 300 WBY cases and nearly as much 300 Win cases. I also have a ton of 30 caliber bullets.
You could sell the 300 wby brass ,and use the money to buy a new 300 win. rifle and not spend any extra money.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Congrats on your new rifle!! I hope that you enjoy it. Welcome to the 300 <insert your favorite magnum brass stamp here> club!

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by wyoming260
The situation I find myself in is I ended up with 400 brand new 300 WBY cases and nearly as much 300 Win cases. I also have a ton of 30 caliber bullets.
You could sell the 300 wby brass ,and use the money to buy a new 300 win. rifle and not spend any extra money.....

I think I’m gonna buy both in the long run.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wise man!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Smart move Gooch

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Very nice rifle, Gooch! An elk killer for sure.

My Mk V Fibermark .300 Wby has accounted for several one-shot flops and a couple of one-shot stagger-flops.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sweet!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Berry berry nice

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Nice rifle! I have a 300 Wby MkV Weathermark as well. Has shot best with 180 Accubonds this far, but I’m going to try a few other bullets before it goes to Africa.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (12344mag, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.