Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JeffyD Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I have owned sidelock percussion and flintlocks for years, but want to try a modern inline.

Local shop has a used T/C Encore (not Pro Hunter). It ain't cheap, and I know parts and service will be non-existent (that's my main concern), so I'd like to hear about any suggestions for a quality, preferably stainless, gun that can be had for somewhere south of $1,000.
Or should I grab that Encore?

Last edited by JeffyD; 06/26/22. Reason: darn autocorrect

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Omegas are nice but so are Encores

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ruger #1.

Not as "modern" as the plastic stocked inlines that load from the muzzle---- but a lot classer, prettier, more accurate, having longer range, and just as much in keeping with foundational ideas from which muzzleloading seasons were established.

In fact a sharps 1874 is a lot more "primitive'" then a plastic stocked, scoped inline, and so is a lever action 30-30. Or any iron-sighed revolver.

They should all be allowed in primitive weapons seasons long before the newer types of inlines

If using inlines in regular rifle seasons I am in full support.
But they are more modern then any of the weapons I listed above ------------ and so I can't see any reason to give them special seasons of licenses.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Knight Ultra-lite can be "had for somewhere south of $1,000."

Supposed to weigh 6lbs, Bell & Carlson Kevlar stock, drilled And tapped, jeweled bolt, and has Knight's "Guaranteed MOA Accuracy to 200 yards."

I've been using a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader for the last 3 years, or so. Great gun, shoots great, but I was tired of lugging 10+ lbs. around.

Just got a Knight delivered a couple months ago, and haven't even gotten around to mounting a scope yet or shooting 'er. blush

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Aside from more bells and whistles most inlines are perfectly adequate for deer or elk hunting unless you are talking 200-300 yard shots. Most will be 100 yards or less. I shot a TC Hawkin for years,killed a few elk with .Then bought one of the eraly inlines. Killed a few elk with it .Then bought a TC Impact. Killed a few elk with it.

Stay away form plastic sights like theTraditions have and such.

With BH209 being almost impossitble to find at present and $70 /8 ounces, I may go back to my Hawkn and balck powder if I go this fall.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by szihn
Ruger #1.

Not as "modern" as the plastic stocked inlines that load from the muzzle---- but a lot classer, prettier, more accurate, having longer range, and just as much in keeping with foundational ideas from which muzzleloading seasons were established.

In fact a sharps 1874 is a lot more "primitive'" then a plastic stocked, scoped inline, and so is a lever action 30-30. Or any iron-sighed revolver.

They should all be allowed in primitive weapons seasons long before the newer types of inlines

But they are more modern then any of the weapons I listed above ------------ and so I can't see any reason to give them special seasons of licenses.
TFF!!🤣🤣🤣

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Encores are getting support - there’s enough parts support in the non-TC commercial market that you’ll probably wear out - before the Encore does.

That said - Knight Disc Extreme, CVA Accura, CVA Optima - under $1k options are there. If you are worried about support, I’d opt for CVA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen
A Knight Ultra-lite can be "had for somewhere south of $1,000."

Supposed to weigh 6lbs, Bell & Carlson Kevlar stock, drilled And tapped, jeweled bolt, and has Knight's "Guaranteed MOA Accuracy to 200 yards."

I've been using a Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader for the last 3 years, or so. Great gun, shoots great, but I was tired of lugging 10+ lbs. around.

Just got a Knight delivered a couple months ago, and haven't even gotten around to mounting a scope yet or shooting 'er. blush

I’ve had two of those. Gave one to my son and sold the other after I decided it was a lot of money to have tied up in a rifle for a season that only lasted a week. Good shooters, and easy to carry, but kind of a pain to clean. Now I have an old Renegade and a Parker Hale 1858 Enfield, which can also be used for our January sidelocks-only season. Since our seasons occur after a couple or three months of other forms of deer chasing, even seeing one on public land is an accomplishment, so might as well carry something that feels old-timey.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ruger #1.

Guess I missed where he said he wanted to use it in a special season, just "want to try a modern inline". Seems the mere mention of "inline" gives some folk the vapors.

Last edited by tmitch; 06/26/22.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
^
^
^ A good point to be sure Tmitch.

But I also touched on the fact I am NOT against them for hunting or pleasure shooting. I am only against the use of them in "primitive weapons seasons" as if they were some sort of handicap, needing a special season
Copied and pasted from my 1st post >>>>> If using inlines in regular rifle seasons I am in full support.

Last edited by szihn; 06/26/22.
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Gee the guy asked about wanting to try a modern inline and the "Bucksinners" are about to have a tantrum again. As if a deadly accurate ML didnt exist over 100yrs ago. Such as a Gibbs rifle which will out shoot many "modern inlines".

Ignore the morons that dont want to share the season. Use whatever is legal and makes you happy. Knight Ulite in a 45cal 1-20 or the Mountaineer 45 1-20 twist are great shooters and well built. Want to pretend to be primitive?...Thats easy, load it up with big ole lead conical, wad and 70-85gr or powder. That is basically the same load them old fashion things were shooting too. 350-460gr lead at 1200-1400fps is simple, cheap to shoot and very very lethal.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If you can find a good old TC Firehawk you won't be disappointed.
I put mine together from parts and it my most consistent and accurate rifle. Sabots and full calibers do very well. I think the 1-38 twist is superb for 99.99% of muzzleloading tasks.
I shoot 70 grains of 3f Swiss with:
250grain .45 Hornady XTP in a Harvester crush rib 1575fps
300 grain non- mag .45 XTP, same sabot 1500 fps
400 grain Lyman Plains, cast, SPG lube and a .54 cal o.p. wad. 1350 fps
These are chrono'd. She wears a bead foresight and aperture rear. Being a striker fired, she's also legal EVERYWHERE. .50 caliber btw.
Really SUPERB rifle.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a TC Pro Hunter FX. Its really easy to maintain and shoots great.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Knight Vision is just over $200 and a real bargain.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^
^
^ A good point to be sure Tmitch.

But I also touched on the fact I am NOT against them for hunting or pleasure shooting. I am only against the use of them in "primitive weapons seasons" as if they were some sort of handicap, needing a special season
Copied and pasted from my 1st post >>>>> If using inlines in regular rifle seasons I am in full support.

Believe as you wish, but the bird has flown on this in most places. After some years, it’s pretty clear that at least in the case of whitetail deer, weapon choice has had no effect on the population, though harvest figures may have shifted from one weapon category to another as peoples’ notions of fun changes. So long as that’s the case, I’m in favor of letting folks hunt as they wish, with whatever winds their clock. Other game or other other locales might make different rules necessary.

No dog in this fight myself as all I own are sidelocks now. I do wish that WV would allow underhammer rifles in the Mountaineer Heritage Season, and suspect that they simply overlooked them when the regs were written.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I started out with a Knight MK-85 and migrated to a Savage 10-MLII about 10 years ago. I have since purchased a CVA Optima v2 nitrided. In all of them, they have pros and cons. I like the break action muzzleloaders these days as they are easier and quicker to clean. I love the fact that the Optima is nitrided and has a lifetime factory warranty against corrosion in the barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a new Knight Mountaineer .50 "bare primer" rifle that I am pleased with. I haven't developed a hunting load yet, but am pleased with what I have seen so far. I do wish I had purchaed an Ultralight instead. The Mountaineer is kind of heavy and the flat bottom surface of the stock makes carrying it less comfortable that a rounded bottom. But since I anticipate this being principally a tree stand gun, I think it will be fine. I replaced the stock breech plug with a Lehigh breech plug with replaceable vent liners.

As far as inlines and the spirit of primitive seasons, if we only use sidelocks then we have to decide how primitive is primitive. My Pedersoli Hawken Hunter has a 1:24 twist, faster than my Knight, and will shoot sabot rounds as well as, or better, than my Traditions Pursuit XL .50 1:24.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Knight Ulite or Mountaineer with a bare primer plug and properly head spaced is very easy to clean. Virtually nothing gets into the action. Main thing is to replace the factory bare primer plug with a Lehigh less than $25. Better yet a Bestill Creations plug and have him set it up. You can set it up yourself also for around $80 just for the plug. I strongly suggest a 45cal 1-20 unless you are hunting states that require a 45cal for elk. The 45 fast twist is far more versatile with the addition of a adjustable sizing die.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ruger #1.

Except that it loads from the breech with a cartridge......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Some may have plastic sights, but certainly not all. But my Traditions Pursuit XT came with the same Williams metal sights on it as the Knight above. The only muzzle loader I ever had with plastic sights was a T/C Black Diamond. I replaced those sights with the metal ajustable sights that cam standard on the T/C Hawken.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Some may have plastic sights, but certainly not all. But my Traditions Pursuit XT came with the same Williams metal sights on it as the Knight above. The only muzzle loader I ever had with plastic sights was a T/C Black Diamond. I replaced those sights with the metal ajustable sights that cam standard on the T/C Hawken.

LOL Strange. My Black Diamond had iron , but I did change it to Williams peep. My buddy's Tradition has plastic and the clamp that holds the elevation adjustment has broken twice.I guess it has to do with different models

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
233 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.