Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Theoldpinecricker,

With the 1-4x 20 Leupold it weighs seven pounds exactly. With the scope detached it weighs six pounds, one ounce.

Mule Deer,
Did it come with the scope and rings or did you have the rings fabricated? I am interested in sourcing a 1" set of claw rings to update my 98 Mauser 8x68s.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If the 9.3x72R kicked a lot, my wife Eileen wouldn't own one--and kill deer with it. She started getting recoil headaches around 15 years ago, but finds her "no name" combination gun works fine.

[Linked Image]

Lucky guy!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by MikeS
[
Mule Deer,
Did it come with the scope and rings or did you have the rings fabricated? I am interested in sourcing a 1" set of claw rings to update my 98 Mauser 8x68s.

No, it didn't come with the scope and rings, but had bases for claw mounts. Melvin Forbes of New Ultra Light Arms made the rings as a favor to Eileen--before starting NULA he was a general gunsmith and did lots of stuff. He'd worked out a system of machining Talley steel bases to fit claw bases, and then the gun's owner could use steel Talley rings to mount whatever scope they wanted to.

Should also mention Melvin gave us permission to show his system to top-notch local gunsmith John McLaughlin 2-3 years ago, because I had a 16x16/6.5x57R Sauer drilling that came with a scope--but I didn't like the scope much, a Hensoldt 4x with a typical heavy German reticle that made it difficult to aim at big game beyond about 150 yards. So had John do the same Talley job on the drilling, and I mounted a 1-4x20 Leupold with the standard Duplex reticle--and killed a pronghorn buck last fall last fall at 230 yards. (Would have been comfortable at 300-350.) I dunno how much John charges for the job now, but his website is https://www.mclaughlinmetalworks.com/

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the detailed info John. I've been eyeing extra high Leupold rings thinking they may have enough material to machine the hooks for the AKAH claw system bases on my rifle. With a 1" objective scope it seems like I might be able to keep it low and still have barrel clearance to take it on and off. The Idea of putting claws on a modern base has a lot of merit. The rifle's original scope is an old Zeiss 4x with that heavy post type reticle favored at the time and is mounted quite high. A good friend has a mill and the skills to go with it, so this may be an interesting project, although I have too many of those already it seems.

I'll have to make time to post some pictures of an early 1900's era 9.3x72r x 20 Gauge German combination gun (SxS) my wife inherited recently. Gathering up the bits to get some loads started for that one.These posts of yours, catinthehat and Cascade are getting me inspired.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 11point, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 83 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.