Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Any good ideas on how to get rid of the “read the instructions” warning on Ruger revolvers?

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Draw file and a barrel spinner. Or rebarrel from a blank.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I should have stated it better….. on a GP100…..

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It’s on the bottom correct? If so and it’s SS it shouldn’t be a big trick to draw file it off and sand the file marks out while keeping the same contour. Finish it up with a medium Scotchbrite pad to match the factory finish.

2hr job

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I used the above method on my 45 Colt Bisley a number of years ago. I also did the same to get rid of the scribble on the cylinder. I made up a little jig so I could spin the cylinder via drill.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I thought of making a guide out of some old brass. Use a Drexel to cut a groove then use it to guide a small grinding stone…..

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would still draw file it and finish up by using a piece of stiff leather to back my sandpaper. All the while being very careful to keep the original contour and not put a flat or facet on the side.

99.5% chance anything you do with a Dremel will turn into a train wreck.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Why

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Because…… it’s there…..

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid
I would still draw file it and finish up by using a piece of stiff leather to back my sandpaper. All the while being very careful to keep the original contour and not put a flat or facet on the side.

Absolutely on the train wreck!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Good grief!…..And I thought I was OCD!😁

Leftybolt

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
For various customers, I have removed a lot of roll marked "made in Italy" and cartridge inscriptions/designations by peening the displaced metal back into the groove, filing, smoothing with emery. Very time consuming, but much better than just removing metal. The key is the judicious use of a light hammer like a gravers hammer and a selection of punches ground to a slight convex and mirror polished. You gently "push'' the displaced metal from the roll marking back into the divot from whence it came. Draw filing must be done with sharp files, well and frequently chalked. For final emery work, it is hard to beat the quality of the fingernail emery boards found at beauty supply stores...very good quality. Blending blueing or browning is the hard part to approximate the original finish. Several pre war gunsmith how to books describe this method in detail.

Last edited by flintlocke; 06/26/22.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I’m very OCD!!!!
Thanks for the information flintlocke!
The Ruger lettering doesn’t look very deep like older style lettering. It appears to be either laser cut.
I had actually thought of doing that, or stippling. That’s why I’ve asked for old barrels to test / practice on.

Last edited by John_Boy; 06/26/22.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You could slab side the barrel like David Clements did on my 10mm GP100

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by TheKid

Absolutely on the train wreck!

laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Because…… it’s there…..

I'm with ya, John_Boy, I hate it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That’s at least two of us skeen!!!

I like pacecars solution!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
For various customers, I have removed a lot of roll marked "made in Italy" and cartridge inscriptions/designations by peening the displaced metal back into the groove, filing, smoothing with emery. Very time consuming, but much better than just removing metal. The key is the judicious use of a light hammer like a gravers hammer and a selection of punches ground to a slight convex and mirror polished. You gently "push'' the displaced metal from the roll marking back into the divot from whence it came. Draw filing must be done with sharp files, well and frequently chalked. For final emery work, it is hard to beat the quality of the fingernail emery boards found at beauty supply stores...very good quality. Blending blueing or browning is the hard part to approximate the original finish. Several pre war gunsmith how to books describe this method in detail.

Sounds like your method is the method I’d like best. But I’ve never worried about factory lettering.
I bought a 700 Classic 300 H&H. I was pleased with the purchase until I removed the action. Someone deeply engraved, in true Bubba style, his Minnesota Hunter ID number which seemed quite long to me. If it could have been repaired economically I’d have kept it. But I returned the rifle and was giving the previous owner the feeling that this matter was an urgent matter on my part.
If you do the repair as you describe with SS guns I’d feel very pleased.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Keep in mind fellas, peening will not work with lettering that has been inscribed by actually removing metal, engraving. Peening only works with metal that is roll marked or stamped where the steel is displaced, just run your fingertip over the lettering, it's easy to feel the raised edges. Some figures are problematic ...numeral 8, upper case E and H, start with the easier figures until you get the hang of it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,165
Posts18,465,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.