Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Well I got one of those Cuisinart ice cream makers…

It said to mix the ingredients and then chill and then do the machine thing…

I didn’t have a hand mixer so I used a hand held food processor thing with a Whisk on it…

OOPS … it frothed / foamed the cream (Put a ton of air in it)…..

When I put it in the machine later it worked but the ice cream came out as airy or fluffy…

Aw hell…

Well try it again soon.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of those too

bought it on a lark, thinking I would make ice cream all the time. I think I used it twice and its collecting dust in the garage.

Just too many good tasting brands you can buy at the store

but the few times we tried, it turned out pretty good - nothing special, mostly vanilla, heavy cream and fresh fruit . The only time I want homemade ice cream is when fruit is fresh like strawberries or peaches

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They dont make a store bought ice cream, that is as good as homemade.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What color soup did you make ???

Grandma and Grandpa used to make home made ice cream ALL THE TIME. Always came out like a milkshake. Sadly.......... I much prefer a decent store-bought ice cream to home made ice soup.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nothing like fresh peach or strawberry homeade ice cream.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Yoder409
What color soup did you make ???

Grandma and Grandpa used to make home made ice cream ALL THE TIME. Always came out like a milkshake. Sadly.......... I much prefer a decent store-bought ice cream to home made ice soup.

No, your grandparents DID NOT know how to make ice cream.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Hand cranked it for years, good stuff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even when you mess up homemade ice cream you've still won.

The ice cream 'soup' I've found mostly caused by overfilling the container, trying to maximize yields, results in the product not being fully frozen. Based on our White Mountain maker testing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hint: do NOT use real vanilla. It has alcohol…antifreeze. If you want it low cal and use a sweetener to reduce the sugar, do NOT use Xylitol. It’s a crystalline alcohol…antifreeze. I have discovered these things.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The classic ice cream recipe is called M E S S- - - - -Milk, Eggs, Salt, Sugar. I use either half and half or heavy cream with a little whole milk added to get the consistency right. Some people prefer to cook the mix a little to avoid any problems with using raw eggs, but nobody who has eaten my raw egg mixture has croaked from food poisoning yet. I use a motorized freezer with holes in the canister lid and add chunks of fruit just before mixture freezes all the way. Putting the fruit in at the beginning of the cycle usually ends up with it getting completely pulverized- - - -I like peaches, strawberries and especiallty home grown blackberries a little chunky in the finished product. One of my friends has a 3-gallon hand cranked freezer that he powers with an antique single cylinder "hit and miss" pony engine. It's very popular at the car shows he attends.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
And you'll never get it done without plenty of hard ice not the bagged stuff with air bubbler. If you cant get block ice then freeze your own in mild cartons. It's also hard to use too much rock salt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen those hit n miss units at county fairs and other places. They are very popular. I like homemade ice cream as well as anyone but I would rather just buy it already made and get right to the eatin' part.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I like to mush up ripe blackberries and mix in the hand crank freezer

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Even when you mess up homemade ice cream you've still won.

The ice cream 'soup' I've found mostly caused by overfilling the container, trying to maximize yields, results in the product not being fully frozen. Based on our White Mountain maker testing.

Yup. So good

MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
The classic ice cream recipe is called M E S S- - - - -Milk, Eggs, Salt, Sugar. I use either half and half or heavy cream with a little whole milk added to get the consistency right. Some people prefer to cook the mix a little to avoid any problems with using raw eggs, but nobody who has eaten my raw egg mixture has croaked from food poisoning yet. I use a motorized freezer with holes in the canister lid and add chunks of fruit just before mixture freezes all the way. Putting the fruit in at the beginning of the cycle usually ends up with it getting completely pulverized- - - -I like peaches, strawberries and especiallty home grown blackberries a little chunky in the finished product. One of my friends has a 3-gallon hand cranked freezer that he powers with an antique single cylinder "hit and miss" pony engine. It's very popular at the car shows he attends.

I made the mistake of putting cutup strawberries in too soon the first time I tried making homemade ice-cream with fruit. While the strawberries didn't 'pulverize' they instead froze hard as a rock and was like eating pebble ice cream. Wound up having to spit the strawberries out one by one so as not to risk chipping a tooth.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you want more like store bought ice cream you can add cookie dough, crumbled cookies, choc chips, caramel, nuts ,etc, etc.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cantaloupe ice cream is the bomb.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Cantaloupe .. What the hell..

I’ll give it another shot in the morning once the bowl freezes up hard… but it isn’t going to be with Canaloupe - Good God man !!

What is your favorite ice cream recipe ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

51 members (808outdoors, 2500HD, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, BALLISTIK, 5 invisible), 1,192 guests, and 751 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,121
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.