Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Is a valve similar across the board or are there good brands and ones to stay away from? I am replacing all quest pipes in my home and will have the wall behind ghe shower (single handle) opened up to replace the lines with Pex.
The valve was replaced 10 years ago but it’s never worked that well in my opinion (Drips from tub faucet some when shower is on) it’s a Kohler valve and trim. Any recommendations or ones to stay away from?

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anything from a Big Box Store is junk.

You want it to last and function properly, you gotta pay.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have Deltas in 2 showers. The handles feel loose but they don't leak and parts are easy to replace.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Deltas are fine like RC said parts are readily available

Romans 5:1
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In general, there are 2 types of valves. The lowest priced and much more common is the pressure balancing valve. It balances the pressure from hot and cold so if someone flushes the toilet when you're showering, you don't get a blast of hot water. When the cold pressure drops from the flush, it instantly reduces the hot to match. With these, when you turn on the valve, you get full pressure from the start. You turn the valve to control the temp but not the pressure. It's full pressure or none.
The Thermostatic type is considerably more expensive. It allows you to control both temp and pressure.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
When I looked into it a few years back, Moen and Delta were the two “biggies”. There’s plenty of other cheaper ones they you may, or may not, be able to get parts for. I know there’s some more expensive, as well, but Delta and Moen can be found at most any plumbing supply store.

Of the two, “most” of what I read seemed to give the nod to Delta. Some seemed to think the Moen valve cartridges were more likely to be a removal problem. We’ve got a Moen in the house, that had a cartridge swap with no issues 2-3 years ago.

With that said, I used Delta in the cabin when I renovated it 2 years ago.

Obviously, I’m no plumbing expert. Just giving you the info I came across when I was researching it for myself a few years back.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I’d buy it at a supply house vs a box store but probably not a big deal.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Delta or Moen are good,
You really do get what you pay for.
I like those brands as mentioned,parts are pretty available,most of the time they will send out replacement parts no charge.(sometimes)

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
As Rock Chuck discussed the pressure balance shower valve is how I would go. Also Kolher, Delta, Moen, T&S Brass, etc. all have residential grade and commercial/premium grade. It is worth the extra expense to go with the good stuff, in my opinion.

Go to your local Ferguson Enterprises, there will be one near you in NC somewhere, and ask to speak to one of their inside salesmen and get him to show you the good stuff.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Replaced an old corroded Delta about ten years ago with an American Standard from Lowes. Works great, no complaints.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Moen posi-temp, easy to swap cartridge every ten years or so. I like them, put them in the houses I did.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Moen posi-temp, easy to swap cartridge every ten years or so. I like them, put them in the houses I did.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Koehler is good to, As well has Delta.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kohler, Delta or Moen. Moen Posi-temp valves have a bad habit of cartridges sticking and breaking when extracting, but otherwise are GTG.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
First thank you for all the great advice, I really do appreciate it. Second if I go with a commercial type can it be universal or does it need to match the shower lever/handle?

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve4102
Anything from a Big Box Store is junk.

You want it to last and function properly, you gotta pay.
This.

Go to a Ferguson, Neenan, Winnelson or other plumbing supply house.

Junk from box stores may look the same but put a blend valve from each in your hands and you can immediately just tell the difference.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 06/27/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My suggestion would be pay a little extra and stay away from the chain stores like Lowe's, Home Despot, McCoys, etc.
Find an established plumbing supply store.
Get your finish parts there. If one goes bad, you KNOW where to find parts.

Analogy - you don't NEED a Rolls Royce to get to the prom....but Granny's '64 Ford Falcon ain't the chariot of choice either.
Moen, Delta and Kohler are all acceptable. Just be sure the faucets have a brass body.

The longevity of washers and seals depends on the source of your water.

I went to Morris Supply in Wichita Falls, Texas..
Showed the guy my valve body and he reached onto a pegboard and handed me the valves.
"Are you sure? Mine don't have that little gasket."
"Yes it does."
"No, it doesn't."
"Trust me. It does!"

Guess what?
I needed those little gaskets! LOL!

Don't buy plumbing supplies from a multipurpose store.

Always puzzled me!
Lowe's sells those little sheds out front for $2150. You can go inside and spend $2150 and have nearly twice the building!
In today's lumber prices, that may be $21K! LOL!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Kohler, Delta or Moen. Moen Posi-temp valves have a bad habit of cartridges sticking and breaking when extracting, but otherwise are GTG.

I put heat proof grease on the cartridge when I installed the valve, good puller helps a lot.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
If you buy Moen, if anything ever goes wrong, you get free replacement parts. This includes cartridges, handles, trim, anything. If the finish gets crappy or starts chipping, they will send you replacements.
I have used their warranty many times and they are always helpful and efficient. They never question it or ask for proof of purchase.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Grohe thermostatic, if you want something that works well and lasts.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Delta. Never had a problem with them. However, parts are everywhere. Get it from a plumbing supply house.

GreggH

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

726 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 3,074 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,922
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.