Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
DustyOne,

This particular diesel engine like pretty much all diesel engines have some form of an injection pump. These are high pressure pumps. This is common on all diesel engines for the injectors to feed the cylinders properly. How the diesel gets to that high pressure injection pump varies. In this case the raw fuel is fed by gravity from the tank above the engine. A very simple set up.

There isn't a high pressure line between the tank and the injection pump on this engine. Badger and the others know more about these engines than I ever will, but I do know quite a bit about them. Other diesel engines will require a fuel pump to feed the injector pump in most all cases if the tank is in the same or lower horizontal plane than the engine. Basically any set up that the fuel cannot be delivered to the injector pump at a consistent pressure. A gravity fed tank can provide the consistent pressure needed if there are no obstructions.

All diesel engines have high pressure lines between the injector pump and the injectors. The OP and none of the other responses that I read suggested otherwise on this engine. I think you are confused on this distinction.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Longbob
DustyOne,

This particular diesel engine like pretty much all diesel engines have some form of an injection pump. These are high pressure pumps. This is common on all diesel engines for the injectors to feed the cylinders properly. How the diesel gets to that high pressure injection pump varies. In this case the raw fuel is fed by gravity from the tank above the engine. A very simple set up.

There isn't a high pressure line between the tank and the injection pump on this engine. Badger and the others know more about these engines than I ever will, but I do know quite a bit about them. Other diesel engines will require a fuel pump to feed the injector pump in most all cases if the tank is in the same or lower horizontal plane than the engine. Basically any set up that the fuel cannot be delivered to the injector pump at a consistent pressure. A gravity fed tank can provide the consistent pressure needed if there are no obstructions.

All diesel engines have high pressure lines between the injector pump and the injectors. The OP and none of the other responses that I read suggested otherwise on this engine. I think you are confused on this distinction.

LongBob,

I know you have the best of intentions, but to paraphrase: “ You can lead a jackass to water, but you can’t make him think”.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad it worked out for you!!! Damn on the price......Sad part is a basic rebuild kit is going for $50-100; but if something was cracked, that opens the can of worms.

Rust inside the pump means you have/had water in the fuel. Bad stuff can and will happen. Change the filters and might also want to see what is in the tank, water-wise.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Johnsclist
Well flintlocke, 45_100, and sackett were pretty much all correct. It took a while to get this project completed, but we put the new injector pump on today and it fired right up. The old pump had rust inside, a failed ring, and a crack somewhere - all leading to clogs on the return side. FYI a rebuild is $1700 and a rebuilt pump with a core exchange is $1900 these days. Thanks all for the help!

At least you got 'er going. Man, schit sure has gotten expensive.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Trash in the line from running it dry.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Have not read through all this just the first post and a little of the first patch you give a real good description of a pump that just shot the s***. Running it out if you might have been the final straw hope you find the problem hope I'm wrong

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Change the fuel filter (making sure that it is absolutely full of fuel when installing). Then once started put some air pressure to tank with an air hose (sealing with clean rag wrapped around hand). If it doesn't start running smoothly then you either have an obstruction or a leak in the injector pump body. It doesn't take much to stop the flow of fuel with a gravity system.

Phil

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
He rebuilt the injector pump.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,464
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.