Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No trees, buildings, etc.......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hog spreader on a chain from front end loader at Dads.

Skin them on the tailgate if doing it here.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RIO7

We don't hang ours we use a skinning and gutting saw horse, once they are skinned and gutted,we hang them and wash them down, then put them in the cooler.

Just noticed there 3 campfire guy's in this picture, we were having a great time.

Rio7
I see some people in there that I know.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use a couple of steel gambrels, one of which my late Father-in-law had the welder on the Mississippi river tow boat that He worked on make. Scaled from a drawing in a magazine, but heaver metal. I use them with ATV winches fastened to an large oak in the back yard. Cable running up to a pulley on a large limb. Have two to use, so can hang two deer at a time. Seldom cold enough to let them hang except for overnight, but I have a fridge in my shop where I can quarter and cool for a few days. Made a skinning rack, from pictures and measurements made from RIO7's place. miles

Last edited by milespatton; 06/28/22. Reason: Somehow fil became stepfather

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If it has to be moved any distance, my llamas will be doing it. In that case, it gets skinned and quartered on the ground. If it gets home intact, I have a large locust tree in the yard with a big limb at just the right height. The 1st time I used that tree, my wife objected to having a dead deer outside her kitchen window. I said it's not a deer. A deer is walking around on 4 legs. This is meat, just like you cook for dinner. When she thought about it that way, she totally accepted it and never objected again.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gambrel and chain block in the shed

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
at my deer camp we have a pole with a guy wire steel bitch arm attached to the shed, that`s on the shaded side of shed and wide enough to drive the wheeler with the small trailer with the deer in it.we always skin the legs out before we hang the deer -bear or what ever with block and tackle. out west either a decent tree or my reciever hitch steel post set - up with block and tackle, for elk and deer shot in the ruffer country we ground skin and quarter our animals .

Last edited by pete53; 06/28/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
At deer camps I use their skinING rack. This one utilized a boat winch to hoist the deer up.
If you look close, above his L antler is a scale to weigh on.

At home I simply use a tree.

L O L

In my back yard.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/29/22.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a large capstan boat winch with rope bolted to the side of the garage and a rafter in the garage with pulleys. Speaking of pulleys, we were hanging three deer at the cottage and the guys were using a single roller pulley off the rafter and struggling. I’m no mechanical engineer, but I taught the guys that using two multiple roller pulleys makes lifting a deer way easier. I dropped a 12 point way back and hung him high off a tree limb to quarter him with the two multiple roller sailing pulleys and 50’ of rope that I keep in my pack. Look at any industrial crane and they always use a pulley on the hook end, never a single line pull.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Throw them on the tailgate of the truck. Skin one side and put meat on ice in cooler. Flip them over, skin the other side and put meat on ice in cooler. Toss whatever isnt needed to make the animal legal (head, evidence of sex etc...) into the bushes.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
After a good washing out and cleaning - they are transfered to
the front porch (hung head down) to be aged- and later processed in camp

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wldthg
After a good washing out and cleaning - they are transfered to
the front porch (hung head down) to be aged- and later processed in camp

Man, wldthg, that front buck is a big ol' fatty. wink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Everybody makes fun of my butchering coat but I don't care, lol. Been happy with this setup when it is hot out...

Yes, I know those aren't deer.

Otherwise I prefer to bring them home to skin them mechanically

And chill in a pop cooler I got for free

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Skeen----- yes it is---- I've been stumped by this one ever since the photo was taken ---- We all throw in a dollar and guess the weight of our bucks. Then weigh it. (Field dressed ) ---- Our scales always are within a pound or two of the offical check in scales the state of Vermont uses. ---- this big hog only weighed 157 lbs. on our scales. I wished we double checked the weight of this one. His neck alone weighs as much as some of the spikehorns I've shot. The same hunter holds the camp record of 186 lbs but this one seems larger. The first 50 bucks we shot in the 1970's -80's camp record was 126 lbs.
----------thanks Web

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm usually in rough country in the sagebrush hills. In recent years I've skinned most of my deer on a plastic tarp. I know it's easier to have them hanging, but I don't have a good setup for that where I'm hunting.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Whatever will hold steady long enough to get
the skin off. Everything is gravy after that and
just takes a few minutes

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big pecan tree with the hoist hooked to a horizontal limb. Been a lot of venison cleaned right there.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
Throw them on the tailgate of the truck. Skin one side and put meat on ice in cooler. Flip them over, skin the other side and put meat on ice in cooler. Toss whatever isnt needed to make the animal legal (head, evidence of sex etc...) into the bushes.
I know that it is not always feasible, but I much prefer my meat to stay on the bone for a few days, before deboning. Seems to make the meat much more tender. If I have to put it in the fridge, everything stays on the bone except the tenderloins. miles

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Windfall
I use a large capstan boat winch with rope bolted to the side of the garage and a rafter in the garage with pulleys. Speaking of pulleys, we were hanging three deer at the cottage and the guys were using a single roller pulley off the rafter and struggling. I’m no mechanical engineer, but I taught the guys that using two multiple roller pulleys makes lifting a deer way easier. I dropped a 12 point way back and hung him high off a tree limb to quarter him with the two multiple roller sailing pulleys and 50’ of rope that I keep in my pack. Look at any industrial crane and they always use a pulley on the hook end, never a single line pull.

Used a snatch block with a truck winch.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.