Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
This was a week ago... Getting bigger now...

Interesting plant... 100 gifted from a friend.

No idea ho this will go.

Post hole dug them 8" down in a 12" diameter hole. Great soil.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never heard of planting potato plants.... or did I read this wrong.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Next is to figure out which technique you are going to use to preserve them.

I prefer pressure canning myself.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Old friend of mine used to grow potatoes in straw inside old tires. He'd keep adding tires on top and more straw as the plants got taller.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
you need to dirt hill up every potatoe plant for them to produce well and water them alot. good luck

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Our clay soil doesn’t work well when planting them using post hole diggers. Got to have soil a bit fluffier around here. Keep mounding dirt on the plants as they grow. Our taters are ready. Dug my first plant up yesterday. Don’t dig them up until the plants die. Save some for seed potatoes next year. Build yourself a root cellar up there in West Virginia to store them in. Something tells me you would enjoy that kind of project anyway! smile wink

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Our clay soil doesn’t work well when planting them using post hole diggers. Got to have soil a bit fluffier around here. Keep mounding dirt on the plants as they grow. Our taters are ready. Dug my first plant up yesterday. Don’t dig them up until the plants die. Save some for seed potatoes next year. Build yourself a root cellar up there in West Virginia to store them in. Something tells me you would enjoy that kind of project anyway! smile wink

This. When I was a kid we had an independent potato patch from the garden. Always saved back a bunch for the winter in tater bins in the basement. The rest got canned.

I'm glad I know how to do it but equally glad my potatoes come from the store now.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
We have heavy clay soil as well, so to loosen, we add all the leaf rankings we can find. I also bag when mowing and dump that on the garden. The leaf piles in the fall are mounded up and then tilled in. Slowly, this has worked after a couple years and we have an awesome potato patch. The soil is much looser and is greatly helped by adding and tilling in organic matter. Weedseed free straw would also work. Avoid hay as it has seeds

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suppose you can plant and/or "transplant" potatoes. Never heard of transplanting them?

First off, potatoes don't do well in tight soil. You need a well drained, soft, sandy loam or conditioned soil.
You don't water potatoes. They'll rot in the ground.
When the plant comes up from the slip, start piling hay around the plants. The plant will stretch up to get out of the hay and form potatoes in the hay instead of underground.
Some folks use old tires to form raised beds to plant potatoes.
Taters love cooler weather.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dude270
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

This. When I was a kid we had an independent potato patch from the garden. Always saved back a bunch for the winter in tater bins in the basement. The rest got canned.

I'm glad I know how to do it but equally glad my potatoes come from the store now.

Potatoes "used to" (?) be so cheap, growing your own was a waste of time and money.
Harvesting and storing potatoes is a lot of work and takes specialized locations.
Canning them is okay, but canning is a LOT of work....especially when you can buy a few at a time from the store.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Never heard of planting potato plants.... or did I read this wrong.

I said it wrong... or goofy.

Put the potatoes in holes about a month ago... set a whole potato (... or two) about 8" deep in a 12" hole... backfilled about 1/2 the dirt...

They SEEM to be doing well... pushing the dirt up to even now.

I honestly have no idea what I am doing regarding potatoes.

Pretty fair on other stuff (propagation and growing), but potatoes are a new effort.

Thanks for the pointers guys.

10-10-10 fertilizer on hand... OK?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2
Old friend of mine used to grow potatoes in straw inside old tires. He'd keep adding tires on top and more straw as the plants got taller.
Are there any potatoes that are more like Yukon Golds that works with? From what I understand, that only works with bakers, like Idaho's.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eight inches is WAY too deep.
I don't plant whole potatoes. Just cut the "eyes" off. You get a lot more plants that way.
Your fertilizer is fine, in limited amounts.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dude270
When I was a kid we had an independent potato patch from the garden. Always saved back a bunch for the winter in tater bins in the basement. The rest got canned.

LOL, I helped my dad in his garden when I was a kid, he grew up on a farm and always had a big one. I remember digging potatoes, the trick was to get close enough so you'd get all the spuds with one forkful of dirt, but not so close that you'd spear a potato and ruin it.

Spearing a potato and getting "the look" was a no-go, so I probably dug twice as much dirt as I had to.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Being Ukrainian Slavyanka insists on planting potatoes. I don't have a root cellar but have a large landscaping pot that we bury them in sand in the garage.

How do you guys deal with the potato bugs? We've been hit hard a couple times and there a no (legal) pesticides for them here in Canada.

I've found that if I search the plants I can find one leaf that they've laid eggs on with each plant (on the underside). Pick that leaf and destroy the eggs and it seems to cut them back a lot.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by joken2
Are there any potatoes that are more like Yukon Golds that works with? From what I understand, that only works with bakers, like Idaho's.

Sorry but no idea what varieties he grew and never tried it myself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watch out for ants!

They got in my taters….

Yukon gold worse than red / new taters.

Some were unusable by the time i dig them.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Kennebec whites do OK in clayey soil.. I've been growing those for many years. Norland or Pontiacs for reds do well also. I still have about 10# left over from last year.. It's usually mid-July when they're all gone. Then it's 'store-bought' crap for a month until I begin digging the reds..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pinch the flowers off .. more power to the taters... fluffy soil = more and bigger... hill the dirt around the base will k3ep the sun off the taters..

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Being Ukrainian Slavyanka insists on planting potatoes. I don't have a root cellar but have a large landscaping pot that we bury them in sand in the garage.

How do you guys deal with the potato bugs? We've been hit hard a couple times and there a no (legal) pesticides for them here in Canada.

I've found that if I search the plants I can find one leaf that they've laid eggs on with each plant (on the underside). Pick that leaf and destroy the eggs and it seems to cut them back a lot.
Not sure which bug you folks call "potato bugs", but have you tried dusting with diatomaceous earth? Spraying with a soap or nicotene based spray? Neem oil legal up there?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.