Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#17376446 06/28/22
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
With all the doom, gloom, panic, click bait, on & on in the nation/world, I just don't pay much attention to a lot of it. Amplify all the problems when the west coast is involved, so I really let a lot of those stories get by me.

But... I've been watching vids of the Lake levels & it doesn't look like it's one of scare stories that; if this rate it'll be dry in 10 years. Heck, at the the rate Mead is dropping it'll be dry a lot sooner, way sooner.

Not trying to preach doom but this looks to be a very serious situation for all that are served water & electricity from it. Are there many, if any, plan B's & C's in place?

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Nuclear power and desalination plants would make Lake Mead an afterthought. But they won’t do it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Nuclear power and desalination plants would make Lake Mead an afterthought. But they won’t do it.

Desalination on the az ca border?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Much of Lake Mead’s water goes to California.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

How much you know about the CAP?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they say it will be at deadpool stage in less than 8 years at this rate

I understand people have varied levels of sympathy for western water tables and water rights, but that is the bread basket of this country.

I am surprised congress hasn't proposed a water pipeline, say from the mouth of the Mississippi thru a series of lakes with giant pumping stations in an attempt to maintain levels. Maybe that is pie in the sky and the cost would be outrageous, but we do it with oil pipelines.

I see all that flood water in the spring along the Mississippi and wonder why we don't try to capture it in some way.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From what I read the lake is almost 200 feet down from its high water mark in 1983. How many surface acres less is it? How many acre feet (325,851 gallons) of water is it down if anyone knows? Just curious.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If went below 1050 last week, which is the old inactive pool level. Another year or so of this and it will not be able to generate.

A YouTube channel call Sin City outdoors has some really cool videos on it. It is amazing how much it is going down and how quickly.

They had a guy on there the other day who had a houseboat breakdown. He pulled up to the bank and before he could get a mechanic out to fix it, he was stranded. He was ten feet from the water within a week or so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA

I understand people have varied levels of sympathy for western water tables and water rights, but that is the bread basket of this country.

I am surprised congress hasn't proposed a water pipeline, say from the mouth of the Mississippi thru a series of lakes with giant pumping stations in an attempt to maintain levels. Maybe that is pie in the sky and the cost would be outrageous, but we do it with oil pipelines.

I see all that flood water in the spring along the Mississippi and wonder why we don't try to capture it in some way.
Reckon it would be possible to transfer Great Lakes water over the divide? There is a fairly low elevation pass up around the area of West Yellowstone. Surely if we can spend trillions on the crap we already do we could move lake water in huge aqueducts.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
You have a growing population in the southwest combined with a decline in water supply. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Cue the pink elephant.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings

Reckon it would be possible to transfer Great Lakes water over the divide? There is a fairly low elevation pass up around the area of West Yellowstone. Surely if we can spend trillions on the crap we already do we could move lake water in huge aqueducts.

my way of thinking - and admittedly it could be very wrong is, if the water in the Mississippi - down at the delta before it flows into the ocean - hell, its lost water at that point anyways right? capture it there and pump it into Lake Charles and just keep going west.

I wouldn't want to pump water from the great lakes or wherever but river water running out into the ocean, have at it.

I mean we give 40billion to Ukraine, I'd rather see a rancher or farmer get water to feed this nation with that money

Last edited by KFWA; 06/28/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunzo
With all the doom, gloom, panic, click bait, on & on in the nation/world, I just don't pay much attention to a lot of it. Amplify all the problems when the west coast is involved, so I really let a lot of those stories get by me.

But... I've been watching vids of the Lake levels & it doesn't look like it's one of scare stories that; if this rate it'll be dry in 10 years. Heck, at the the rate Mead is dropping it'll be dry a lot sooner, way sooner.

Not trying to preach doom but this looks to be a very serious situation for all that are served water & electricity from it. Are there many, if any, plan B's & C's in place?

Yeah, buy an EV... Wait...We are f'd!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Or stop watering the grass?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Simple

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Hastings

Yeah. After screwing up one watershed, we could jump right in and try to screw up the whole continent. Holy crap. Turn the Corps of Engineers loose though and they're game for anything. They have a history to live up to. GD

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

They also say Phoenix wouldn't exist without Lake Mead supplying power. Things do not look good at all. 10 years is laughable. More like 5 and it's going to be dry as a bone..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

I have always wondered this myself

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not Mead. Lots of lakes. Like I said anyone know CAP?

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
A 2 week comparison.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Worry about Powell

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.