Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Oldman03
What ever you decide to buy, stay away from any compressors that do not use oil. Oilless sp? compressors are junk.

Spot on They last about`1/2 as long

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
The 60 ( or maybe 80) gal Quincy upright that Nrothern tool sells gets great reviews.

Used to be $1199. Prolly $1500+ now.

Tractor Supply has a $1399.99 2 stage upright 80 gallon Ingersoll Rand with 5hp, 220v/30 amp and 175 psi. Cast iron compressor is supposed to last 15,000 hours. Comes with synthetic lubricant that is good for 2000 hours. If you order it from the store in person (not on their website) you get free shipping to your home/shop. I'm going to buy one as soon as I have room for it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ingersoll-rand-80-gallon-5-hp-reciprocating-air-compressor

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Cast Air. They have cast iron compressor pumps. Most smaller compressors use aluminum.

https://castair.net/compressors/industrial-series/

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is a lot of good stuff guys. Thank you all. I went and checked out a Campbell Hausfield 30 gallon vertical oilless that was for sale by a local private party. He was asking 350 which seemed a little steep. He said it was 6 years old. It seemed to run fine, but tripped the breaker twice as I gave it a practice run with an impact driver on full throttle. 6.5hp motor. The outlet it was plugged in to was no more than 2' from the breaker box. So, that didn't make me feel comfortable and I didnt buy it. An air compressor is among the most used tools in my posession so I'm leaning towards a new one, a quiet one, and one that will last. Thanks again for the input, I'm happy to hear more.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why don't you get a full sized compressor if you use it so much?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
You literally couldn't beat me hard enough to buy an oilless compressor.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BC30cal
One thing I would do however is run the first say 20' off of the compressor black iron or something metal to act as a heat sink for the hot compressed air coming out of the compressor. We learned that one the hard way.

Actually you could run reinforced high pressure rubber too, which we did on a 40HP variable drive Kaeser in the last shop and that worked too. Just something to absorb and dissipate the hot air.

Don't forget a couple water traps there and then drain valves on the drop lines work well too.

If I need dry air from a rotary vane or screw, I run compressed air through hydraulic coolers with fans attached. These are followed by big drops\water traps.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Fiddy
This is a lot of good stuff guys. Thank you all. I went and checked out a Campbell Hausfield 30 gallon vertical oilless that was for sale by a local private party. He was asking 350 which seemed a little steep. He said it was 6 years old. It seemed to run fine, but tripped the breaker twice as I gave it a practice run with an impact driver on full throttle. 6.5hp motor. The outlet it was plugged in to was no more than 2' from the breaker box. So, that didn't make me feel comfortable and I didnt buy it. An air compressor is among the most used tools in my posession so I'm leaning towards a new one, a quiet one, and one that will last. Thanks again for the input, I'm happy to hear more.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You buy a compressor like that I’ll bet it comes with a free bowl of soup..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Certifiable
You buy a compressor like that I’ll bet it comes with a free bowl of soup..

LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by victoro
The 60 ( or maybe 80) gal Quincy upright that Nrothern tool sells gets great reviews.

Used to be $1199. Prolly $1500+ now.

Tractor Supply has a $1399.99 2 stage upright 80 gallon Ingersoll Rand with 5hp, 220v/30 amp and 175 psi. Cast iron compressor is supposed to last 15,000 hours. Comes with synthetic lubricant that is good for 2000 hours. If you order it from the store in person (not on their website) you get free shipping to your home/shop. I'm going to buy one as soon as I have room for it.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ingersoll-rand-80-gallon-5-hp-reciprocating-air-compressor

That IR is a better deal now vs the Quincy.

Just looked. Quincy is $1899 now. 😳. Damnit boy. I shoulda bought one a couple years back when it was $1199.

Doesn’t The IR has a made in USA compressor ?

Or at least, assembled in USA?

I’ll admit, i don’t use air near as much now that cordless impacts are as good as they are….

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by BC30cal
One thing I would do however is run the first say 20' off of the compressor black iron or something metal to act as a heat sink for the hot compressed air coming out of the compressor. We learned that one the hard way.

Actually you could run reinforced high pressure rubber too, which we did on a 40HP variable drive Kaeser in the last shop and that worked too. Just something to absorb and dissipate the hot air.

Don't forget a couple water traps there and then drain valves on the drop lines work well too.

If I need dry air from a rotary vane or screw, I run compressed air through hydraulic coolers with fans attached. These are followed by big drops\water traps.

kingston;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's behaving itself thus far for you.

Your statement is 110% spot on in my experience.

We ran one of these for years - holy smokes that is the actual one we had because the two Denray downdraft sanding tables on the left were ours too - cabinet shop I ran went under so these are auction photos. Small world! shocked

[Linked Image from coastmachinery.com]

Anyways that's exactly what Airtek is selling you and I - a high pressure radiator, a fan and a drain valve with a bit of a condensation tank.

The Kaeser variable drive we ran was a screw with more or less that as part of the unit.

Wow that's weird that I found the very one we used for likely 20 years.

All the best and thanks for making me do the ether webs search.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/29/22.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Currently using a Speedaire 240V 2 stage......22+ years now

Although not verticle....great machine

I should replace the drain valve.....):

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fiddy;
Morning sir, I hope things are going more than less you're way so far today.

The Campbell Hausfeld in the photo wouldn't be something I'd personally recommend for much.

They're pushing the truth suggesting that they've been able to get 6.5HP on 110V and as you've seen it'll be on the ragged edge of not very happy electrically if the duty cycles are ever required.

If you have 220V power available that's a far better route for a shop compressor if you're running an impact.

Also as others have mentioned a bigger tank will give you more flexibility as well, but for sure the initial cash outlay will usually be higher.

That said, up here when shops go under there's sometimes tons of stuff that goes cheap. I forget now what the Airtek sold for exactly, but I recall thinking I couldn't buy the fan motor for that.

Good luck whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll admit, i don’t use air near as much now that cordless impacts are as good as they are….

Same here. Installed new struts on the daughter's car this past weekend and never even broke out the air tools. I still occasionally use them on bigger stuff, but most of the time the battery operated stuff is just fine.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.