Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by EdM
I replaced the factory trigger on my Bergara B-14R with a TT Diamond and the result is night and day better.

Have you used Jewell triggers? They're the only model of the triggers discussed to far where I've definitely noticed a difference in "pull quality."
But am not crazy about them for general big-game triggers.

The one Bergara I've owned so far had a Trigger Tech, though it was not the Diamond model. They use both TT and Timneys.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have two Jewell's on 700's for a varmint rifle and also a "beanfield rifle" both set at 16 oz and I think they are excellent, on two hunting 700's I have a Walker at 2 3/4 lb and an X Mark Pro Adjustable set at 2 3/4 lbs ...both I am very happy with and won't be changing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Somebody do work on the X Mark Pro?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All I did was adjust the screw that goes through the top of the trigger (just above where your finger sits)...it's the adjustable version.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 06/27/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have mine almost all the way out.

Not much of a change from most of the way in.

Been thinking about a TT.

This is on a Custom Shop NA Custom which supposedly had a 40X trigger in it.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 06/27/22.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Have mine almost all the way out.

Not much of a change from most of the way in.

Been thinking about a TT.

This is on a Custom Shop NA Custom which supposedly had a 40X trigger in it.
Do you know what poundage it breaks at?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Guess 3.5#+

More than I care for. Prefer 2-3#.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In that case, as the adjustment screw won't get you where you want, then rather than spend money on it, I'd get a Timney or TT in that situation.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What I figure I will do.

Wonder if the Trigger Tech has a good wide face like the Walker style? Much preferred over skinny triggers.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Trigger Tech has a shoe similar to the Timney THIN model.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
10Guauge, to get the weight down to 2 3/4 pounds on the X Mark Pro Adjustable trigger, the barreled action can be taken out of the stock after checking that there is no ammunition in the chamber. At the front of the trigger there is an allen screw covered in (blue?) epoxy. If you take this barreled action to a competent gunsmith, he may take off this epoxy, to expose this allen screw. If the gunsmith decides it is safe to do so, he may turn this allen screw counter-clockwise slightly to reduce the trigger weight. The gunsmith (and not anybody else) should only adjust slightly, perhaps 1/4 of a turn then measure trigger pull and he should not try to get below 2 3/4 lbs for safety. To be safe only a gunsmith should do this, and he should check that the trigger and safety mechanism is safe after he does the adjustment, there is a reason why there is epoxy on this. The other screw on the trigger shoe can be turned in by the gunsmith to be flush with the trigger shoe, before the adjustment is done (this will make the trigger slightly heavier) so it's not interfering with your finger when you pull the trigger. I repeat the warning; only a competent gunsmith should do this adjustment for safety reasons.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 06/28/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I love them! I really like the ease of adjusting pull in the field. I.E. I like a very light pull "until" it gets really cold, then my old hands get stiff and I have had a light trigger go off before I was ready. I can crank up that TT to 3+ pounds and carry on. BUT, I had a beautiful Shilen Trigger in my old Mod 700 Classic 35 Whelan AI lock up on me just out in the high desert where I go to shoot. I had just got out of the truck, but it was dusty, kind of hot, and it bumfuzzled me. I take it straight to to my gunsmith, it had a "tiny piece of Sage Leaf" lock it up! Trigger Techs are almost impossible to gum/crud up due to their design. So, it depends on how OCD you are about reliability...I am waaay over the edge on that subject, ha.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've transitioned to TT triggers in my rifles, exclusively, and I've owned and/or used all sorts of Timney, Shilen, Jewell, RB, etc. The quality, user-friendliness, and service support I've received is all first-class.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have one 700 left that doesn't have a trigger tech. I've put them in a lot of 700's, Sevens, and 700 clones over the last couple of years. I like the closed design, ease of installation, ease of adjustment, different options (color/bolt release), the availability, and the frequentness of sale prices....oh yeah, the "pull" is nice as well. I wouldn't rate the "pull" as that much better than others (for hunting rifles), but when taken together, the things I listed previously have made them my preference.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
10Guauge, to get the weight down to 2 3/4 pounds on the X Mark Pro Adjustable trigger, the barreled action can be taken out of the stock after checking that there is no ammunition in the chamber. At the front of the trigger there is an allen screw covered in (blue?) epoxy. If you take this barreled action to a competent gunsmith, he may take off this epoxy, to expose this allen screw. If the gunsmith decides it is safe to do so, he may turn this allen screw counter-clockwise slightly to reduce the trigger weight. The gunsmith (and not anybody else) should only adjust slightly, perhaps 1/4 of a turn then measure trigger pull and he should not try to get below 2 3/4 lbs for safety. To be safe only a gunsmith should do this, and he should check that the trigger and safety mechanism is safe after he does the adjustment, there is a reason why there is epoxy on this. The other screw on the trigger shoe can be turned in by the gunsmith to be flush with the trigger shoe, before the adjustment is done (this will make the trigger slightly heavier) so it's not interfering with your finger when you pull the trigger. I repeat the warning; only a competent gunsmith should do this adjustment for safety reasons.
Sounds a lot like the same screw on a Walker style trigger.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
Shilen makes an excellent trigger for the 700
Thats the way we went. Of course keeping the old Walker triggers. But thats another story

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Walker trigger has two slotted screws at the front, the X Mark Pro Adjustable has a single allen screw at the front in approximately the same place. There is also a sear engagement screw at the back of the X Mark Pro Adjustable trigger that the gunsmith should not touch.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 06/28/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Walker trigger has two slotted screws at the front, the X Mark Pro Adjustable has a single allen screw at the front in approximately the same place. There is also a sear engagement screw at the back of the X Mark Pro Adjustable trigger that the gunsmith should not touch.
Correct. I always adjusted the bottom screw, the one closest to the trigger.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have converted about 6 rifles to TT. I really like them and the ease of adjustment is unreal.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have a Bix n Andy, TT Diamond and Geissele 700. They are all great but the BixAndy is my favorite. I can adjust the sear and it greatly improves the smoothness of the bolt. The TT breaks like glass but has zero over travel. I like the slightest over travel after the break. The Bix is everything I like in a trigger. Every trigger will be an upgrade over a factory rem x mark tho.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.