Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I've always done most of my new ground scouting out of an airplane. Personally I don't know why it's not recommended on the Campfire, especially for public land hunting. You'll learn more from the air in a couple of hours than walking around for a week.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I've always done most of my new ground scouting out of an airplane. Personally I don't know why it's not recommended on the Campfire, especially for public land hunting. You'll learn more from the air in a couple of hours than walking around for a week.

Don’t forget to take a camera/cell phone for aerial photos.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Legality, for one thing. State laws concerning scouting from the air vary but some consider any looking for animals for hunting purposes as “hunting” and may be illegal to do so from the air, regardless of how long before you actually hunt the area.

Cost is likely another. Flying gets expensive fast and sometimes a person has a lot of ground to cover.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would bet big money that the #1 reason people don't talk about it is that they don't want to give up their "secret" method.

Plenty of places where it's the only practical way to see anything.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not many ,but several small airplanes have augered in over the years trying to fly around 12,000 + mountains in the west. Plus I' d bet the average hunter does not have the means to do it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used to scout by air years ago. Locals were quite hostile and shot at me a lot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Google earth is a hell of a lot cheaper….

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Airplane hunting falls in the same class as long range shooting at animals as far as I am concerned. A bit beyond what I consider fair chase.

Of course, I can't afford it, either...... smile

So called "scouting" from the air during season deserves a good round or two. I'm tolerant if you do it before season opens.

Much as I'd have liked to, I've never loosed a round at a low-flying, scouting" plane while hunting/ during season. I have unloaded the rifle, completely, and "scoped" two.

I love to see those SOB's hang their plane on a wing.

Last edited by las; 06/28/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well, that's pretty stupid. But I guess we all do stupid things from time to time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Used to scout by air years ago. Locals were quite hostile and shot at me a lot.

LMAO

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The was an outfitter that did that years ago here in SW Colorado. Plane crashed killing him, his brother & the pilot. Small plane in the Rockies with the thin air----looking for trouble IMO.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Mountain flying in hot weather at anything over 4,000 ft MSL but less than 500 AGL (above ground level) is asking for trouble - even if you're trained for it - at 8000ft a whole other world - " scouting"at 12,000ft make sure you're 'crash beacon' works and you have good hiking boots, cause the odds are you'll be walking out with your rescuers . . . if you survive the 'landing'

Last edited by Offshoreman; 07/06/22.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Mountain flying in hot weather at anything over 4,000 ft MSL but less than 500 AGL (above ground level) is asking for trouble - even if you're trained for it - at 8000ft a whole other world - " scouting"at 12,000ft make sure you're 'crash beacon' works and you have good hiking boots, cause the odds are you'll be walking out with your rescuers . . . if you survive the 'landing'

As a private pilot I built up time towards my commercial license flying surveys of feral burros and bighorn sheep down in the tight corridors of the Grand Canyon at elevations of 4000 to 9000 feet and temperatures as high as 100 degrees.
The pilot just needs to know what they are doing and to pay attention to the flying.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If one is doing it very near hunting season I am mostly against it.
During season I am FULL ON AGAINST it.

Looking over a hunting area from the air in the months before season just gives one a feel for the area.

Last edited by LouisB; 07/09/22.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you have the means, by all means then, get in that plane and look around. Doing it a few weeks before season or during the season and I'll think you're a cheatin' crappy hunter, probably fat and out of shape too. I've heard drones flying over us during elk season in CO. It's 100% illegal in CO as an aid in hunting, and I'm quite certain they weren't using it to find a lost dog. Drones during hunting season are fair game IMO.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Google earth is a hell of a lot cheaper….
This, I've used to find game trails and choke points.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Can't say I've used that practice but have hunted and lodged from the comfort of an yacht. Spotting from a private deck is pretty awesome and so is coming back from land to have fresh 5 star meals and a jump in the hot tub at the end of the day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ethics are always difficult to enforce legally.
Game cameras, spotting from the air , long range shooting, continuing to hunt after wounding animals, etc, etc.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it's legal - have at it and good luck.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't like the idea but it's legal in Idaho. You just can't fly and hunt the same day, either with manned plane or a drone.
I've been in the high mountains and had pilots from the Mountain Home AFB fly over a VERY low altitudes, practicing mountain flying. That would be spooky flying through a deep draw at 300 to 500 mph. Man do those engines roar in the mountains.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

343 members (1lesfox, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 33 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,643
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.