Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a friend who wants to bring his Sharps replica out of the closet and shoot it again. He wants to use modern powder and 300 to 400 grain cast bullets. Depending on availability he might shoot some copper jacketed bullets.

I have been directed to Shooters Reference but I'm open to some suggestions using 4198 , 3031 and 4895. The owner of this rifle is a former guide in Montana in the early 1970's and then went to med school and was an emergency room doctor for year. He is now retired and thinks he wants to shoot Iowa deer with his Sharps.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 06/28/22.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
BP-B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
In todays lawyers world it would be foolish giving smokeless load info for a .45-3-1/4" shell.
Too many things can happen with that long shell casing using smokeless powder in it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have a friend who wants to bring his Sharps replica out of the closet and shoot it again. He wants to use modern powder and 300 to 400 grain cast bullets. Depending on availability he might shoot some copper jacketed bullets.

I have been directed to Shooters Reference but I'm open to some suggestions using 4198 , 3031 and 4895. The owner of this rifle is a former guide in Montana in the early 1970's and then went to med school and was an emergency room doctor for year. He is now retired and thinks he wants to shoot Iowa deer with his Sharps.

kwg

What about using something like BH209 if he doesn’t wanna go full Blackpowder?

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would suggest he contact the manufacturer for advice on that.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Of course it's best to contact manufacturer.

My real beef suggesting that these single shots can't handle full power smokeless loads is ridiculous. Today an modern single shot reproduction like a falling block should be able to handle anything you put into it. It SHOULD be able to seeing that this stuff mostly starts around 3k and goes up from there.

Really any falling block made recently should be able to outperform any nitro double rifle like 450 nitro express or 470. The single shot is an strong mechanism and metallurgical materials have advanced considerably since 1900 or 1930 for that matter. Just saying a Ruger no1 or an modern Sharp's or HI Wall should be able to run anything.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
A case full of Fg Goex in Norma 3.25" basic with cci-200 primers.hard card card ,compression,grease cookie another card wad. And 45 tgbs .442" ppb cast 1 in 20 at 566 grs. wrapped in 9 lb paper.. All the recoil you want then some. with accuracy. You don't buy big cases to load down with smokeless that's called pipe bombs. Buy a 45-70 if you wanna dick around with smokeless. Hey you asked..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Couple of things to cogitate on. The 45- 120 case is a half inch longer than the venerable 458 Lott cartridge, and....
There is some smokeless data available on line, and in the Lyman Reloading handbook.
Blackpowder or one of the semismokeless with fake smoke added so called substitute powders are the best route to take with that cartridge.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

My real beef suggesting that these single shots can't handle full power smokeless loads is ridiculous. Today an modern single shot reproduction like a falling block should be able to handle anything you put into it. It SHOULD be able to seeing that this stuff mostly starts around 3k and goes up from there.

Really any falling block made recently should be able to outperform any nitro double rifle like 450 nitro express or 470. The single shot is an strong mechanism and metallurgical materials have advanced considerably since 1900 or 1930 for that matter. Just saying a Ruger no1 or an modern Sharp's or HI Wall should be able to run anything.

True the modern falling blocks are strong. It's not the action that is the problem, it's the barrel.
A Pedersoli 74 .45-70 had a problem at the Quigley shoot that had a load of 5744 that let loose and did bad damage to the shooters hand. I might have the photo's from that incident and one let loose down in AZ a friend send me those pictures.
When these rifles are loaded improperly they can detonate like a grenade.
One year I was shooting the match at the Quigley when a Ballard .40-65 blew just to the right of me about 20-30 feet that did bad damage to the person shooting it and parts were scattered around the firing line from that one.
Yes it was a weaker vintage rifle but if loaded wrong they will blow.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

There’s others at Hodgdons also

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the information. I can't tell you who made his rifle as I have only seen it from a distance. My first thought was something that burns real slow. I see 4064 listed in the Hogden guide. That seems like a great place to start.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Kurt71
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

True the modern falling blocks are strong. It's not the action that is the problem, it's the barrel.
A Pedersoli 74 .45-70 had a problem at the Quigley shoot that had a load of 5744 that let loose and did bad damage to the shooters hand. I might have the photo's from that incident and one let loose down in AZ a friend send me those pictures.
When these rifles are loaded improperly they can detonate like a grenade.
One year I was shooting the match at the Quigley when a Ballard .40-65 blew just to the right of me about 20-30 feet that did bad damage to the person shooting it and parts were scattered around the firing line from that one.
Yes it was a weaker vintage rifle but if loaded wrong they will blow.
Why are there problems or issues with barrels? Is it inferior materials or metallurgy? Maybe it's the thread pitch and engagement to the receiver? It doesn't make sense to me because we're living an Era where materials and the strength of steels shouldn't be an concern.

My Ruger No1 is an cast receiver rifle as is the C. SHARPS 1875 I used to have. Both are cast by Ruger so whats the real difference? I'd like to know. Its not like I want to hot rodneverything or that it even needs to be ran at the ragged edge but being an falling block single you'd think it could digest anything with ease.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The rifles I seen except for the Ballard the receiver held with minimal damage but the barrels ruptured.
One 74 Shiloh was loaded with a full load of Bullseye because it was black in color and the guy thought it was black powder. The action held but the barrel split wide open.
All the rifles I seen were loaded with 5744.

A lot of the issues start with a "Magnum" mentality. There are people out there that think a .45-70 or other black powder cartridges can be pushed to the magnum velocity's of the HP rifles.
I see posts that make me shake my head with what they are telling some shooter just starting with these rifles looking for starting loads.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
kwg,
Most of these guys have never shot the 45/120 3-1/4".
All you will ever need to know about the cartridge is in these two booklets. Volume I is 106 pages and Volume II is 71 pages.
Send me $45.00 (what I paid for them on 11/19/2009, I will include the receipt) and they are yours.
Chris
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]svg image hosting
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Sharps1874; 06/30/22.
kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hello Sharps
I am heading out of town tomorrow at 12 noon or close to that and will be back on Tuesday. I'll get back to you when I get back home. The guy that needs the loading information is a former guide in Montana in his youth. He later went to med school and was an emergency room doctor for years. He now has some farm ground just up the road from our little place and he wants to shoot deer with his rifle.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 06/30/22.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Straight case in the "Shotgun Season" I assume?

My son is on an acreage between Adel and Earlham, IA. He is using a 375 Winchester and a 444 Marlin for Deer these days, both in Marlin lever guns.
I keep after him about taking one of my Shiloh Sharps (a real rifle) home with him to use........maybe one day.......

The 120 should do the job with horsepower to spare. Maybe your friend can come up with a lighter bullet "Express Load" for his rifle, depending on the twist rate in his Sharps.
I had a Farmingdale made Shiloh with a 1:20 twist that shot a 350.00 grain bullet well.

Received and returned your PM.
Thanks,
Chris

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Well I been with a .45-3-1/4 since Cabela first stocked the Quigley rifle it's no stranger with me.
I still have the rifle but it now has a .45-2.4 barrel on it laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Killed an antelope with a C Sharps Rocky Mountain Rifle in 45 3 1/4 shooting a 550 gr patched bullet in 1978...

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Killed an antelope with a C Sharps Rocky Mountain Rifle in 45 3 1/4 shooting a 550 gr patched bullet in 1978...

That 550 grain bullet should of put it right down. The guy who is bringing his back out wants to shoot Iowa deer with it. He wants a 300 to 400 grain bullet.

kwg

kwg020 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sharps1874
Straight case in the "Shotgun Season" I assume?

My son is on an acreage between Adel and Earlham, IA. He is using a 375 Winchester and a 444 Marlin for Deer these days, both in Marlin lever guns.
I keep after him about taking one of my Shiloh Sharps (a real rifle) home with him to use........maybe one day.......

The 120 should do the job with horsepower to spare. Maybe your friend can come up with a lighter bullet "Express Load" for his rifle, depending on the twist rate in his Sharps.
I had a Farmingdale made Shiloh with a 1:20 twist that shot a 350.00 grain bullet well.

Received and returned your PM.
Thanks,
Chris
I think Iowa just changed the law to allow .357 bottle neck rifle cases and above. I'm old fashioned and shoot 12 ga. slugs,

I just loaded some 200 and 225 grain bullets in a 35 Whelen for the guy who leases the ground of the guy who wants to bring his Sharps back out. We are about 5 miles east of Winterset. Earlham is in northwest Madison county and Winterset is in the dead center of the county.

The guy who owns the land; we call him Doc since he was an ER doctor for years, got the urge to bring the Sharps back out after his lessee started shooting the 35 Whelen. Actually, I don't see a thing wrong with the .375 or the .444 for Iowa deer. Most shots are under 75 yards. Although, Doc has a pretty big valley on his place that is several hundred yards wide. I don't know that Doc has the eyesight to make a 300 yard shot anymore.

He does have some stories of guiding in Montana as a young man and using a converted Eddystone in 35 Whelen to finish off wounded grislys for clients. He claims he lived with the Crow or the Cree indians (I don't recall which) and since he was white he would guide the white clients. This would of been in the late 1960's. I did see the Eddystones. One he had in 35 Whelen and one he said was a 35 Whelen Ackley improved. I don't really know how you can improve a 35 Whelen.

The guy is a character and lives somewhat like a mountain man when he is in Iowa. He does all of his cooking on a wood stove. His wife makes him go to Florida for the winter so he either shoots the first season or he needs to get a land lord/tenant license.

I'll have to get a better look at his Sharps to see just what it is. I doubt he knows what the twist is. He wants the 300 to 400 grain bullets so I assume he has shot them before and was happy with the results.

kwg

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
keg,

From the sound of the guy I don't think that he would have a problem shooting the 120 with a full load of black.
I used around 115 grains of 1F with I think was a 550 gr GG or a 400 gr flat nose and they played down Michigan UP bucks in fine shape. Recoil is stiff but manageable shooting game off hand and with the right bullet shape he will shoot several follow up shots with out fouling control.
Heck I'm 82 and still shoot my Shiloh .50-2.5 with a 700 gr bullet or the .44-90 bn with a full load of black.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.