Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A stack of sandbags inside the pulpit a little above waist high would offer the speaker enough cover to shield himself in the event he becomes the target, and wouldn't cost the equivalent of several months' pay for a couple of discreetly armed professional guards out in the pews- - - -which is also a good idea. Sandbags have been protecting combat troops in fortified bunkers for a few hundred years.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gkt5450
I think I’d just lay 2x6” sxs double layered then mount a 1/4” steel plate atop it. Not many are going to bring anything “hot” enough to pierce that. Plus returned fire is probably going to be the downfall of shooter this day in church. Heavy sure but quite inexpensive all things considered. Easily mocked up and tested in the field.
I like that idea with the steel plating behind the lumber to minimize deflections.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Had a friend that owned a bunch of buildings in town. We held beer brewing meetings in one of them that used to be some type of business. When he was rentevating he had to remove a receptionist area wall. First sledge hammer hole in the dryway dumped a hundred pounds of pea gravel on the floor. Between each 2x4 stud was filled with it. Turns out the office used to be an abortion center.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We just need to be ready to meet our maker at any time.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’d think AR500 panels would be the simplest. Possibly a mini gun mounted on a swivel underneath?

Now we're getting somewhere!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
A stack of sandbags inside the pulpit a little above waist high would offer the speaker enough cover to shield himself in the event he becomes the target, and wouldn't cost the equivalent of several months' pay for a couple of discreetly armed professional guards out in the pews- - - -which is also a good idea. Sandbags have been protecting combat troops in fortified bunkers for a few hundred years.

Yup, two sandbags thick will stop just about everything in small arms.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sako
Being a preacher I certainly have NOT. I would rather the church pews be done if anything would be done... We have people in strategic places and all of the door as locked when the services start.... We have safe practices in place and review with the congregation quarterly what they are to do (basically hit the ground and stay down and let the others take care of the shooter)...

With this... I would NEVER do something for myself over the congregation.

Right answer IMO
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Being a preacher I certainly have NOT. I would rather the church pews be done if anything would be done... We have people in strategic places and all of the door as locked when the services start.... We have safe practices in place and review with the congregation quarterly what they are to do (basically hit the ground and stay down and let the others take care of the shooter)...

Right answer IMO
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Strategically an armed pulpit with the pastor facing out towards the congregation makes the most sense and would save the most lives for the least cost IMO. A lot of churches today use folding chairs rather than pews for ease of being able to use the space for multiple purposes. Bringing in Kevlar armored pews or retrofitting old ones wouldn’t be realistic and most pews have relatively low backs offering minimal cover.

A pulpits shape would be much more affordable and with the pastor being in a position to return fire from cover along with a concealed carry usher or two at each entrance as our church has would make the most sense for dollars spent and forming a triangle of armed men that are able to see anything going on and react almost instantly.

It will obviously probably never be needed but just like schools churches are sometimes a preferred target for headlines and it’s to late to have been prepared after something happens.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Congregation is armed here....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okie
Congregation is armed here....
Same here. Our church believes in 2A as a God given right and encourages being armed both in and out of church as part of basic preparedness and good citizenship.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Well, this is the last time I ask a question up here in the freak show.

Come on man...

The Campfire is like Biotics in your gut...

ProBiotics... and nasty Biotics.

It's all OK... roll with it... flush when done.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Our former church installed some 1/4” steel plates inside the pulpit. Probably stop most threats. My biggest worry when I was on the security detail was other armed congregation members if there was an emergency. Perimeter security and layered defense inside is the solution.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Lumber sand concrete steel, layers. Very cheap low tech. NOT sexy nor portable. Younger faster preacher would help too. If catholic line it with stacked bundled $100 bills?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I told you I’d have to kill you.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by gkt5450
I think I’d just lay 2x6” sxs double layered then mount a 1/4” steel plate atop it. Not many are going to bring anything “hot” enough to pierce that. Plus returned fire is probably going to be the downfall of shooter this day in church. Heavy sure but quite inexpensive all things considered. Easily mocked up and tested in the field.
I like that idea with the steel plating behind the lumber to minimize deflections.

Yep

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
JC Steel would probably fix you up reasonably.
A Bully Pulpit might require more attention?

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

All this in a church ..... What a world we live in.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Nothing new about Church service being interrupted by a trouble maker.[video:youtube]The Reverend Mr. Black - Johnny Cash[/video]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,266 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.