Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have. I have gutted skinned and cut up deer for many people. If someone kills one I am hunting with unless they want to do it themselves I help.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Always the 1st one for friends, family & Newbs, use as tutorial for moving forward.

Always, if someone asks.

Always for my wife, the deer killing machine !

Deb always helps, holding legs etc.

Once I've gutted & hung, she will help skin & then get in there & clean out the cavity.

Butchering is a social event, we all participate in & thoroughly enjoy !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have helped many times, my fee is the inner loins the rookies don't think that is to bad it's just a few scraps from the inside I tell them.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I did a cow elk for a good buddy. He was ready to heave watching me. After our AZ hunt in the Cocinino NF, he stopped hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. For my wife and son when he was young. Now he owns a meat cutting business.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Never a deer but I field dressed a bear once for another hunter. He said he didn’t know how to go about field dressing the bear so I did it. I used a Carbonne Opinel No.8 and told him just remove everything you don’t want to eat. I ended up with some bear meat that I turned into sausages.

Nick

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yep. Few hundred times. As others have said, elk too. Antelope, mule deer too.

No possum tho

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Yes

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Many times for the older over 70 crowd that was on the last lease. Just too easy for me to do it than watch them struggle.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yep, and it made for a good story too. My buddy’s son was along on his first deer hunt and he was eager to learn, so when we had a deer down I gave him the knife and told him that I’d instruct him how to field dress one. He turned the deer on its back and I said that the first thing we should do is cut around the as-hole He got to work and then thinking to myself that the kid is only ten years old and as-hole was probably not the clinical term that I should have used, so I said rectum. The kid squirreled up his face, dropped the knife and burst out “Wrecked ‘em, how’d I do that?”

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Circumstances would have it that I've never had to dress a deer for anyone thus far.

Saying that, most newbies (by far) carry a knife that is far too long for dressing deer. I had one of those sporting bayonets as a kid as well. Never once stuck it in an animal.

These two Barkies are about perfect, with the bottom one with the lead. I don't think I've used a better field knife. Would not be the best for skinning, have others for that, but 2nd to none for hauling guts.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes.

I'm gutting less and less. Even for deer, if it is a tough haul to the truck, I'm practicing the gutless method.

Last edited by AB2506; 06/29/22.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Circumstances would have it that I've never had to dress a deer for anyone thus far.

Saying that, most newbies (by far) carry a knife that is far too long for dressing deer. I had one of those sporting bayonets as a kid as well. Never once stuck it in an animal.

These two Barkies are about perfect, with the bottom one with the lead. I don't think I've used a better field knife. Would not be the best for skinning, have others for that, but 2nd to none for hauling guts.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have big hands and like longer blades. I have cleaned many deer with Schrade and Buck folders but much prefer to use knives with 5 or 6 inch blades. Just easier for me to see what the end of the blade is doing.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B.C. Good story. It reminded me of one similar years ago.

In the early days of Pennsylvania muzzleloader hunting, our group of seven only had three muzzleloaders between us all. We were passing the rifles around and taking turns. Deer were numerous back then so everyone was getting shots and learning about the variances of each weapon, each being a different model.

I was taking a turn with a borrowed Hawkin when a herd of about six or seven came busting down the mountain right at me, splitting up, some going on each side of me at close range. I proceeded to miss one at point blank range as the big doe blew by. I was pretty disgusted with myself and the next buddy I came across I passed off the rifle to him and commenting I didn't deserve to carry it after missing one so close. i would go on moving deer for everyone else.

I must add that the night before at camp, a good friend had tipped me to the distance his muzzleloader was tuned to hit where with his open sites. I took good note of that as it was a very nice rifle and was hoping to get a turn with it on game.

So back to me wandering around pushing deer. I came across one of the new guys standing on the crest of the mountain looking down the other side. I eased my way up to him and he pointed to a big doe bedded on a rock looking down the mountain. I asked him why he hadn't taken a shot and he said it was too far. I said just sneak down through the rocks and belly slide out to where he could get a shot at half the distance. He said he would screw it up and handed me that rifle that I had received site instructions. Here, you do it.

Down through the rocks I went and slid out on that rock and shot that deer in the spine, it never moving. The new guy came down all excited at witnessing the whole affair. He was curious as to what happened next. I said this is where the work started. I told him I could talk him through the whole gutting process, as he was interested in learning. He did as instructed. Now what he says. Now we drag it back to camp.

I hooked up a length of cord and he grabbed it and started dragging it off in the direction of camp. That night, after a couple of beers, he went on to tell the whole camp the story of the day.

After his very detailed telling, one of the other guys asked if he heard it all right. So let me get this straight. You gave him the rifle, to let him shoot the deer, and you gutted it for him and then drug it back to camp for him. Is that right? Yep, he says. My bud spoke up to ask if he would hunt with him tomorrow.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 3,012 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.