Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i've had a bunch of 3rd gen 4x4 cummins versions. Nearly every one had a bent front axle housing. The axle is pressed into the pumpkin so it dosent take much like a curb hit to bend it at the joint. On my last truck my axle started leaking oil when parked on a side hill. This is when I learned that finding a non-bent axle housing at wrecker is very hard to find! Don Thuren had one and welded it on and braced it for me. Those big diesel blocks are just too heavy for conventional gas block front ends.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by logger
I would also suggest an alignment using Thuren specs. Made a huge difference on my 2007 3500.

Not heard of this before. Link?

Yours in Liberty,

BL
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If it's 4 wheel drive you're gonna have a blast getting the front hub assemblies removed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a fun job, it took me a couple days to beat the balljoints out of my 3500 thanks to the de-icer they use here. Moog or OEM is the probably the best option for parts, stay way from house brand stuff. I went with a redhead rebuild on my steering box. It made a world of difference after it was done.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will be doing the same to my Crown Vic soon. Entire front end and going back with CVPI springs & shocks all around and upgraded anti-sway bars front & rear.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by logger
I would also suggest an alignment using Thuren specs. Made a huge difference on my 2007 3500.

Not heard of this before. Link?

Here you go:

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/pages/2003-2009-ram-2500-3500-alignment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Hang on to the tools. You’ll be doing it again if you keep the truck very long. Dodge.

Funny.

Ignorant, but funny.................

You forgot True.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
If it's 4 wheel drive you're gonna have a blast getting the front hub assemblies removed.
And for some miraculous reason you get them off with out destroying them, never seize the $hit out of them for the next rebuild.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My advice would be to avoid chiner parts or you'll be doing the job again in under a year.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I will be having it in for an alignment check.

This is an old year 2000 truck I bought new. 320k+ on the front steering, axles, ball joints, u-joints etc. Not bad nut it had an easy life and not rough miles. The fuel system was a nightmare for years but it's sorted out. Just had the transmission rebuilt and cylinder head milled and head gasket. Compression is still same as a new truck so it's worth keeping despite the body has Dodge rot.

The reason for the high dollar ball joints is that they're a one time fix. One in the cup never wears out and they're adjustable and completely rebuildable without any more pressing. I believe why folks have issues with replaced ball joints not lasting is because they are installed off center and possibly damaged and I'd wager that they don't get greased once installed. Another offender is the shops who install them may use an abrasive flopper or small wheel inside the ball joint housing. This can change inside dimensions as it removes material. A small wire brush on a drill is a preferred method for cleanup. It's important to not damage the inside of the ball joint housing.

Old second gen dodge ram trucks suffer from weaker drag links and the architecture or design is all in the Y design. I'm going to replace with a newer T type design that is superior in geometry and substantially heavier.

Another thing to look out there when you or a shop work on your truck is to replace your hub/bearing assembly with Timken products. You can can purchase much less costly hub/bearing assemblies but they don't have the same quality and you'll be replacing in short order.

Throwing on a upgraded steering box and I'm going with much heavier adjustable control arms from Core.

I know the common consensus is you don't need upgraded parts unless your running oversized tires. Maybe. Even though my truck is stock height it I need the upgraded components because I have a massive steel bumper fabricated from 1/2" and 1/4" boiler plate with an heavy Ramsey worm drive winch inside. It's really heavy and not like anything a person can purchase. It's survived one impact from a car, one side frontal impact from an brand new SUV that it opened up like a can opener and elk, moose, untold deer. It's saved my life and the truck so it's not going anywhere.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Need photo of boiler plate bumper.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Need photo of boiler plate bumper.
My phone isn't able to do photos on this forum. Wishbit could but I've never successfully uploaded a photo here despite everyone saying how easy it is. Everywhere else it's easy peasy.

But yeah, my bumper is super heavy. The grill portion I made from 2" square tubing and 1/2" thick boiler strap

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds to me like you have thought this through pretty thoroughly. I have four Ram trucks ranging from 1996 to 2004. Two are FWD and three of them have well over 200K miles. None have as many miles as yours. They work for me and yours seems to work for you. Would like to see the bumper!

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Anyone know the deal on why Moog makes an OEM ball joint 0.006 oversized?

Not a guess... but actually why...

"MOOG K7467T006 {05086674AB, 5086674AA, 5086674AB}
Front Lower; Gear steering; Power steering; 0.006 (in) Oversize; OEM Type.

Again... DO NOT GUESS and say "wear". That is NOT the answer.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Anyone know the deal on why Moog makes an OEM ball joint 0.006 oversized?

Not a guess... but actually why...

"MOOG K7467T006 {05086674AB, 5086674AA, 5086674AB}
Front Lower; Gear steering; Power steering; 0.006 (in) Oversize; OEM Type.

Again... DO NOT GUESS and say "wear". That is NOT the answer.

Is the oversize measurement in the ball joint shaft, or the overall diameter of the of the joint itself?

In either case, I would guess maybe they make it to compensate for flame wrench removal of the originals in salt country, or enthusiastic application of air hammers that distort, or "waller out" (Technical term) the hub or hub carrier.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by badger
...overall diameter of the of the joint itself?

In either case, I would guess maybe they make it to compensate for flame wrench removal of the originals in salt country, or enthusiastic application of air hammers that distort, or "waller out" (Technical term) the hub or hub carrier.

Overall diameter of the of the joint itself...

Just did my 2011 Ram... no idea why the 0.006" over. 245k miles. Tight as a drum. 50% of the ball joints Rockauto sells are 0.006" over.

Why?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Because they put a sort of knurling on the balljoint body. That's the measurement being taken over the diameter and that's so that it stays installed once put in place.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well I started doing mine...the right side is done. But the driver side wheel hub assembly is stuck in the knuckle. Ended up having to cut the ball joints off to remove the knuckle. It's been to two shops and their presses can't get it out either. It's at a welding shop now so hopefully they can cut it out. I would just buy a new knuckle and start over but they can't be found except for one used one on ebay that I want to avoid.

Upon reassembly I will be using plenty of anti-seize.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.