Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I messaged Henry requesting they make their single barrel shotgun in 28 gauge. I'd like to have one for squirrels and general dicking around. If you're like minded, send them a request and maybe they'll consider it.

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
That would be a darn good squirrel gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The TSS turkey crowd would eat that one UP !!!!! Especially if it were threaded for tubes and had a D&T, optics-ready, receiver.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If they get enough requests Henry might just offer it...they are a great company to deal with, one of the best πŸ‘....Hb

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
If they get enough requests Henry might just offer it...they are a great company to deal with, one of the best πŸ‘....Hb

That's why I posted it here. I asked for a .350 Legend LONG before they made them, and it happened. Not saying they did it for "me', but enough "me's" must have asked for it. A 28 single with nice wood would be a good seller me thinks...

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If some would tell me the advantages of a single shot...I would be interested. Especially when most go out with more than one shell or have a shell sleeve on the butt stock. They may carry well, but when the Bird takes a hit and keeps on going, I don't understand the why or any positives.

I know they make you bear down and make that one shot count....what's next?

Last edited by battue; 06/29/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
If some would tell me the advantages of a single shot...I would be interested. Especially when most go out with more than one shell or have a shell sleeve on the butt stock. They may carry well, but when the Bird takes a hit and keeps on going, I don't understand the why or any positives.

For me..........it's the weight, compactness and trigger for the most part.

Now........ I only use a single for turkey hunting. It's a highly tuned gun/choke/optics system and is a "one shot and done" proposition. I don't take shots that aren't the proverbial "can of corn". Over my 43 springs in the turkey woods, I've used singles, doubles, pumps and autos of many descriptions. In all that time, I've only ever needed a second shot on two occasions. One was on my second gobbler ever.........and my gun/shell/choke were not the best. AND I shot too far. Rookie mistake. The other occasion was with a better setup. But, again............rookie mistake........misjudged yardage in a wide open field.

I have a wonderful 20 gauge single setup now that suits my own hunting style and needs. Others' mileage may vary. But I can't see me ever going back to any of my other guns for primary turkey duty. If I were to go pheasant hunting.........one of my doubles would DEFINITELY get the nod.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
g

Got a 301 Stevens single shot in a 20 ga, and have been hunting these ole warriors a long time and only have needed a 2nd shot one time. Was with a 870 12 gauge and misjudged the distance. Bird took off running, took flight and circled and came back to me....flew directly over head and I dropped him mid air. Had I been shooting a single shot would have plenty of time to load another round and shoot. Think most will say they only need one shot turkey hunting and for me, if I miss he got another day to live and I got another day to hunt him. Never crosses my mind using a single shot and if you are worried about it you will probably miss the next time you go hunting. Just something about pulling that hammer back on a single.....kinda takes me back to younger days hunting squirrels with ole 12 gauge single.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I get it....however, if I'm going to carry a pocketful of shells, there are better places for a few of them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get it....however, if I'm going to carry a pocketful of shells, there are better places for a few of them.

My turkey hunting arsenal generally consists of 5 rounds of 3" 20 gauge. One in the gun. Two in my left pants pocket. Two in my belt pack. Generally figure one round for a turkey.........one round if something goes wrong shooting the turkey........and 3 rounds for coyotes, bears, meth-heads..........whatever might ail ya in the woods.

Doesn't bog me down too bad.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Had one Pa spring Turkey Bear encounter....when I ended up between her and the Cubs. Didn't know about the Cubs until her teeth were snapping and then I heard them making some kind of squealing noise behind me. Backed away and they ambled off.....but I would have felt more insecure with only one.

Another time a Bird Dog put a Cub up a tree. Dog wouldn't leave the tree, so I had to go get him. The Sow was kind enough to sit and watch from around 30 yards away, while I nicely explained my situation to Her. Only had two, but it most certainly felt better than one.

Last edited by battue; 06/29/22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only had one bear encounter while actually hunting spring turkey.

Killed a nice bird early. Called my Mrs and told her camo up and bring her gun to meet me. Left my gun and bird in the truck and we went up a ridge on a woods road. A big sow and 4 last year's cubs popped up over the bank and on to the road we were on at about 50 yards.........and turned......walking straight down the road toward us. She handed me the gun (very quickly) and we started waving our arms and shoo-ing them. Luckily, they complied in a cooperative manner. Pretty sobering when you've got 3 in an 870 Turkey and you're STILL potentially 2 shells short for the herd of approaching bears. LOL !!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
β€œGeneral dicking around” is a fine reason for buying any gun😜

I like the .410 for its wide range of specialty loads that may or may not be available for the 28. A quick peek shows 28ga hunting loads run about the same as .410 loads of all sorts, as in pretty dang high. Still, I’ve been impressed by the 28 in the hands of guys I shoot clays with. No doubt at all about it being better for wingshooting. I’m pretty sure the .410 can hold its own for squirrels and bunnies.

Good luck with your cajoling! I contacted them not long ago suggesting they d&t all the SSs, not just the rifles, and also add swivel studs. We shall see. Meanwhile, I’m having a good time with my new .357, mounted with a vintage K4, and wearing the nicest wood I’ve seen on one so far. Might lose the scope for portability sake after ammo development is over, might not.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
β€œGeneral dicking around” is a fine reason for buying any gun😜

I like the .410 for its wide range of specialty loads that may or may not be available for the 28. A quick peek shows 28ga hunting loads run about the same as .410 loads of all sorts, as in pretty dang high. Still, I’ve been impressed by the 28 in the hands of guys I shoot clays with. No doubt at all about it being better for wingshooting. I’m pretty sure the .410 can hold its own for squirrels and bunnies.

Good luck with your cajoling! I contacted them not long ago suggesting they d&t all the SSs, not just the rifles, and also add swivel studs. We shall see. Meanwhile, I’m having a good time with my new .357, mounted with a vintage K4, and wearing the nicest wood I’ve seen on one so far. Might lose the scope for portability sake after ammo development is over, might not.

Yeah, no doubt the .410 will do just as well. I have a Stevens .410 single that I like to shoot squirrels with, but have long wanted a Savage 220 hammerless in 28. I've about given up on that quest, but like you, I recently got a Henry .350 Legend that has great wood. We've had a couple Henry .410 come through the shop and I just think that would be a great gun in 28. My 28 auto and two-barrels get the nod for feathered targets, but I just NEED a 28 single for squirrels and woods loafing. You understand...

There are a few specialty loads out there in 28. A couple years ago I found an online store with some South American lead BB loads with 25 pellets and bought several boxes for the hell of it, and I recently found a source for 28ga buckshot with 12 pellets of #2 Buck. Haven't ordered any yet but intend to.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The Savage 220 is one of the best single shot shotguns of yesteryear. I have one in 410 and have been looking for a 20 forever. Didn't realize they made them in 28, what a gem that would be !

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TraderVic
The Savage 220 is one of the best single shot shotguns of yesteryear. I have one in 410 and have been looking for a 20 forever. Didn't realize they made them in 28, what a gem that would be !

Yeah, I've got one in 16. The 28s are scarce as hen's teeth. There was a rough one on Gunbroker not too long ago.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

They make great starter gun for youth hunting squirrels. Mason Ray started with a .410 single shot. I get your point......Birds, not so much. Although they work ok as a dove gun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Excellent...I absolutely agree!!!!.....Never thought of it in that way....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
They make great starter gun for youth hunting squirrels.

AND...........with the help of TSS shotshells............ turkeys.

I have a beautiful little H&R Topper 158 in .410 factory fixed full choke set up with a Burris FF3. It's a pretty amazing little pocket-sized gun. TOTALLY adequate for gobblersto 30 yards with regular 3" shell in lead #7 1/2 shot. Add some TSS #9 or #9.5 and 40 yards is a slam dunk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TraderVic

I bought a .410 that had been nicely refinished. The downside was that it lacked a draw bar, so cocking was via the top lever. Pretty stiff on that one, and lube helped not a bit. The Henry isn’t quite as sleek, but easier to use and I like the hammer. It sure tosses the empties! I shot a round of clays with it and the trapper was in mortal peril until I realized what was happening.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (1973cb450, 808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,389 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.