Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Most people don't realize this, but there are modern dog breeds that had actually disappeared before the end of WWI, but were restored in the years after the war. After WWI, for example, breeders literally couldn't find a single pure specimen of the English Mastiff. There were no breeders who maintained them during the war. They had to actually go back to the drawing board, do a little mixing here and there with the Mastiff mixes they could locate, and recreate the breed.

Same with the Irish Wolfhound. It had completely disappeared by the middle 19th century. Only some mixes of it with other breeds were still known to exist. Breeders took those mixes, added in some other similar purebred dogs (to include Russian Wolfhounds and Giant Schnauzers), and eventually got a breed that looked like the old paintings of the Irish Wolfhound.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Nice looking dog. Wife wanted an stumpy english and I said no. We got a boxer instead. Similar to yours in the sense taller and athletic. These short little blobs the breaders are cranki g out are not healthy and fairly useless.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MtnHiker
Nice looking dog. Wife wanted an stumpy english and I said no. We got a boxer instead. Similar to yours in the sense taller and athletic. These short little blobs the breaders are cranki g out are not healthy and fairly useless.
Agreed. It's actually cruel to breed AKC English Bulldogs. They are almost destined to have all sorts of medical issues connected to breeding for short squatty bodies and faces.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My sister is a vet tech and has a lot to say about some of the dog breeding trends these days and all the surgeries they have to do. At the end of the day, function is more important that form, which dooms some of these novelty breeds with their built-in health problems. The OP's pup looks like a cool example of a breed that makes some sense.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
He's an amazingly powerful dog, considering he only weight 70 pounds, but he's a very compact 70 pounds. I'm convinced he could break a grown man's legs if he charged into him. You can really feel the power in his body by trying to play tug of war with him.

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Nice looking dog TRH. I can see how my boxer got his appearance. They are a descendent of the OEB.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Impressive animal, no question. Still a scary looking mofo.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by luvrifles
Nice looking dog TRH. I can see how my boxer got his appearance. They are a descendent of the OEB.
Yes, there is a theory that the German Boxer is simply the English Bulldog that was imported into Germany a couple of hundred years ago, or perhaps a mix of those with a native German breed of mastiff.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Impressive animal, no question. Still a scary looking mofo.

🦫
They are very effective at crime deterrence for that reason.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like bulldogs. He's a handsome boy.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
70lbs of stocky dog is still a heck of a lot of dog. I'd not want to wrestle one.

In my opinion, the following two look like dogs that are capable of living a normal and healthy life, being the product of sensible breeding of various bully-breed selections. Square-headed and strong, but athletic.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These two look like they'd be lucky to make it to 50 in dog-years without a lot of vet visits.

Now with even more aplomb
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yes, there is a theory that the German Boxer is simply the English Bulldog that was imported into Germany a couple of hundred years ago, or perhaps a mix of those with a native German breed of mastiff.
From what I can find, they are a mix of the OEB and the German bullenbieser. The latter breed is now extinct.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
From what I can find, they are a mix of the OEB and the German bullenbieser. The latter breed is now extinct.
Yep. That's the native German mastiff I was talking about.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good looking dog, TRH.

He looks like a badass that would keep ne'er do wells at bay while we are at work.

How is his overall temperament towards people? Kids?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Good looking dog, TRH.

He looks like a badass that would keep ne'er do wells at bay while we are at work.

How is his overall temperament towards people? Kids?
He's actually friendly to people I introduce him to. He will bark at those who approach the fence, though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
AKC has ruined several breeds.
Mike, AKC may not have helped, but generally the Breed Club sets the standard and AKC enforces it at their sanctioned events. The breed club can even change the standard if it gets the votes to do so. Recently accepted by AKC breeds already have standards in force when allowed to compete in AKC events.

https://breedingbusiness.com/who-creates-dog-breed-standards/

What likely screws up breeds the most are the damn judges. Nearly every Best in Breed whippet at the shows we've attended is a white and brindle, hardly ever a tuxedo (black and white) or a fawn dog or bitch. And they for some reason tend to like them "pretty", for lack of a better term. It's mostly easy to tell whippets that come from racing/working stock against pure show dogs. Those are generalities of course, but I've seen it hold true in other breeds too. And, competitive show breeders are a copycat bunch, as you likely know. If a dog wins a lot of shows, ends up doing well at the Westminster and such, other breeders will try to get the traits they think won into their lines.

The breeders/judges combo has screwed up a couple of breeds for sure. Poodles from hunting lines are pretty cool dogs. Poodles from a long line of show dogs might hunt a Scooby snack, but likely be afraid of a wild duck!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
TRH,

I love your dog!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
TRH,

I love your dog!
Thanks.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Yo, G.

What likely screws up breeds the most are the damn judges.

Absolutely. Same for horses in halter and for a while, western pleasure “peanut rollers”.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I’m confused here. I thought Pits were on the 24HCF hate list?
😏

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
708 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.