Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I didn't buy it, but am researching it to see what it is worth. Wondering if anyone here has or have seen a Ruger m77 mk2 stainless laminate short action chambered in 300 SAUM. From what I hear, they were only made in 2004 in the Ruger m77 mk2. That could increase value due to its rarity. Rifle is in very good condition with a great bore. I realize the SAUM cartridges are about dead or dying these days. Anyone have any input as to what they are worth? I saw one sell on gunbroker for $1,195.00 and that was a blued walnut model. The one I'm looking at is less than that and also has a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on top. What say you guys? Thanks.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B6

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just me, but if you can get a good deal on it, I’d say buy it BSA. JMan has a 7 SAUM in the same rifle and said it’s excellent.

I know they aren’t super popular but I’d bet it’s a right handy rifle. And somewhat rare. Not some peoples bottle of beer but to me that’s rare enough to be neat to have. Other than a set of dies and some cases I don’t think you’d be into all that much to make it run. Pretty much a 30-06 Improved.

Ask Dave7mm about the 300 SAUM. It’s his cartridge of choice for 1000 yard silhouette and from what he’s shown me, I’d not be a bit scared to try one out.

And those SS/Laminates are freaking cool!

Last edited by beretzs; 06/29/22.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
In a NY second.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Great cartridge for one who reloads. Not so much for the man who doesn’t.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. I was checking out the ballistics of that little cartridge and it is pretty impressive. I'll have to think it over, but the way I figured it out it's like this:

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 in excellent condition: $400.00

Rifle $700.00.

Shop owner said he'd sell it to me for $1,100.00 "out the door" total price. That would also include taxes and background check... I realized the rifle is worth more than that, but when I look at a rifle I have to break down the essentials before I buy. Knowing the older Conquests are demanding good money right now I start with the value of the scope first. Then the remainder is what I'm basically paying for the rifle.. One thing I have to add about the scope is that warranty is pretty slick. If anything does happen to the old Conquest, they will most times replace it with a V4. Having experienced that last week with a 4.5-14x44 I sent in. Kudos to Zeiss by the way!!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks guys. I was checking out the ballistics of that little cartridge and it is pretty impressive. I'll have to think it over, but the way I figured it out it's like this:

Rifle $700.00.

Shop owner said he'd sell it to me for $1,100.00 "out the door" total price. That would also include taxes and background check... I realized the rifle is worth more than that, but when I look at a rifle I have to break down the essentials before I buy. Knowing the older Conquests are demanding good money right now I start with the value of the scope first. Then the remainder is what I'm basically paying for the rifle.. One thing I have to add about the scope is that warranty is pretty slick. If anything does happen to the old Conquest, they will most times replace it with a V4. Having experienced that last week with a 4.5-14x44 I sent in. Kudos to Zeiss by the way!!!!

I hope you grab it. It’s like a 30/06 Improved. Same same as the 280 Ackley and 7 SAUM. Case capacity is generally the same or close enough to not matter.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Rifle $700.00.

I hope you grab it. It’s like a 30/06 Improved. Same same as the 280 Ackley and 7 SAUM. Case capacity is generally the same or close enough to not matter.

Scotty, it looks like it has the same ballistics as the wizzum. Yes, basically an improved 30-06, but on a short action. Cool little rifle. It does have a 22" barrel, but I'm assuming that cartridge does well with that length? Does anyone know where to get brass for one of these bad boys?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, I’d be A-Ok with the 22” barrel myself on that cartridge.

I’d assume it would be a quite handy rifle as well. I’m odd in that rare ducks like that are neat to me. I can almost figure out a place in my brain where that rifle would work excellent for some sorta niche I’ve developed in my head… grin

I’d guess off the top of my head with the right powders you’d be in the 2800+ range pretty easily with 200 PTs or around 2900 or so with the 175 LRXs you’ve got. Pretty good places to be with either bullet.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I’d assume it would be a quite handy rifle as well. I’m odd in that rare ducks like that are neat to me. I can almost figure out a place in my brain where that rifle would work excellent for some sorta niche I’ve developed in my head… grin

I’d guess off the top of my head with the right powders you’d be in the 2800+ range pretty easily with 200 PTs or around 2900 or so with the 175 LRXs you’ve got. Pretty good places to be with either bullet.

Yeah, I'm with you on that too buddy. I like rare rifles. This one in particular only being made for 1 year (in the Ruger m77) is appealing. At least that is what I found during a search on this particular rifle. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong. I also heard the SAUM's feed better than the WSM's because of the different shoulder angle. I know I'd have to glass bed it and work a little magic on the trigger, but the nice thing about these Rugers, is they are quite functional and easy to work on. Triggers don't need to be replaced, just fine tuned and accuracy has always shrank by 1/2 with a good glass bedding job.. I am down to 1 Ruger m77 mk2 in the safe right now and it is chambered in 300wm. The first 300wm I owned. Its also in a laminate stock, so the little rifle would fit in well with it. At one time I was collecting 300 magnum rifles, but didn't even think about the 300 SAUM. Thanks for your input.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I didn't buy it, but am researching it to see what it is worth. Wondering if anyone here has or have seen a Ruger m77 mk2 stainless laminate short action chambered in 300 SAUM. From what I hear, they were only made in 2004 in the Ruger m77 mk2. That could increase value due to its rarity. Rifle is in very good condition with a great bore. I realize the SAUM cartridges are about dead or dying these days. Anyone have any input as to what they are worth? I saw one sell on gunbroker for $1,195.00 and that was a blued walnut model. The one I'm looking at is less than that and also has a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on top. What say you guys? Thanks.

I think you should by it. Those are great actions unless you want a lightweight. Lightweight it ain't.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Is is the gray coated stainless or just stainless?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tzone
Is is the gray coated stainless or just stainless?

Just stainless. Not the teflon coated..

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I do the same damn thing.

My pea brain has spots picked out for a particular rifle. grin Even if I'll only be there once every few years.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I think you should by it. Those are great actions unless you want a lightweight. Lightweight it ain't.

I agree buddy. It is a nice cute little package. What caught my eye first was it was a short action Ruger 77 in a laminated wood stock. I could only see the floor plate side facing me while it was in the rack, but knew it was a Ruger 77. I asked to see it and was surprised by its heft. Probably 9.2 pounds all up, by my best guess. While not bad for a 300 magnum, a lot heavier than the Tikka's I've been playing around with lately..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

My pea brain has spots picked out for a particular rifle. grin Even if I'll only be there once every few years.

Well, I'm running out of room in the damn safes because of friends like Scotty!!!! ha ha.. I am going to have to start hanging them on the wall or peg board in the shop.. Probably not legal anymore to do that though!!! My thoughts are now to maybe use one as trade bait. I had to take one of my AR10's to a shop in town and put it on consignment. Got an offer the other day on it for $300 more than I paid for it. I have a great shooting 204 Ruger Tikka T3x that I'm thinking about sending down the road. I pulled every piece off of it that was an "upgrade": B&C Stock, Mountain tactical bolt handle, Mountain tactical aluminum bottom metal, Mountain tactical rail, and swapped with my new 22-250. That new Tikka is a shooting machine and I like the 22-250 cartridge more than the 204 Ruger. Gave it a fair shake though, but it may get traded for this Ruger?..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hell yes. I’d trade the Tikka 204 all day long for that Ruger.

You can always get another 204, you aren’t going to see many of the 300 SAUMs in a Ruger.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I agree buddy. It is a nice cute little package. What caught my eye first was it was a short action Ruger 77 in a laminated wood stock. I could only see the floor plate side facing me while it was in the rack, but knew it was a Ruger 77. I asked to see it and was surprised by its heft. Probably 9.2 pounds all up, by my best guess. While not bad for a 300 magnum, a lot heavier than the Tikka's I've been playing around with lately..

Their laminates are tanks. But if you’re good you can drill a few deep holes in the butt to get rid of some weight if you wanted. If it ain’t checked that was always a nice touch too.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I’m glad I’m in good company!

Semper Fi
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The rare of the rare are 325 WSM’s in the ruger 77. Followed by 7 wsm. Followed the rsaum chamberings. I never seen a ruger chambered in a 270 wsm. But I seen 325, 7wsm, 7 Saum and 300 saum over the years.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
The rare of the rare are 325 WSM’s in the ruger 77. Followed by 7 wsm. Followed the rsaum chamberings. I never seen a ruger chambered in a 270 wsm. But I seen 325, 7wsm, 7 Saum and 300 saum over the years.

I haven't really been looking for Rugers lately. Made it a mission to sell off some of the ones I did have and keep the win model 70's. I do appreciate the utility of them though. The same shop has a beautiful Ruger number 1 (shop owner says its a number 3) 6.5x284 varminter. Very nice rifle as well. Can probably get that one for a killer deal. Back to the 300 Rem SAUM, I have been checking prices on dies, brass and double checking what that zeiss sells for. The best deal I found was $425. So $400 is pretty close for a quick sale. $50 for a good die set, and a dollar a piece for brass. Everything seems to be available, but online prices for ammo is freaking ridiculous!! Also my best guess on the weight of the rifle may be off by a bit. It looks so small, I don't know how it could be in the 9 pound range. I'm curious to get it on a scale...

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,929 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.