Colorado 3.88 23.5%
Arizona 2.8 17.0%
Utah 1.72 10.4%
Wyoming 1.05 6.4%
New Mexico 0.84 5.1%
Nevada 0.3 1.8%
Mexico 1.5 9.1%
Total 16.5 100%

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Or stop watering the grass?

Watering the grass isn't the issue. Residential consumption accounts for (last I heard) about 6% of water use in SoCal.

Agricultural is the big user at 80% use of all water brought in. And of that, almonds and walnuts use a ridiculous amount of water. Instead of brown lawns, perhaps they should focus on restrictions and improvements on agricultural water use where it could really have an impact. But they don't. They're gonna let the reservoirs run dry so people can snack on almonds.

Yes, there are farmers that need the water. But this isn't the "bread basket" of the country. There are many farms here. Many livelihoods depend on it, but why not a shift on WHAT is being farmed given the current situation? This continues, and there won't be anyone around in the area to buy those water gobbling walnuts and almonds. And when the population moves because there is no water, there will be no support systems for those farms (people), and they'll go tits up in short order. In many areas of the country the farming industry is what supports the community. Maybe not the case in SoCal entirely, but run SoCal out of water, and what do you have left? Farmers with dried up walnut and almond farms.

I likely understand not a lot of it, but what I do know leaves me shaking my head. Or maybe I'm off base and someone will correct me. I can live without almonds. Can't live without life sustaining type crops and water.

Last edited by DaveR; 06/28/22.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by KFWA
they say it will be at deadpool stage in less than 8 years at this rate

I understand people have varied levels of sympathy for western water tables and water rights, but that is the bread basket of this country.

I am surprised congress hasn't proposed a water pipeline, say from the mouth of the Mississippi thru a series of lakes with giant pumping stations in an attempt to maintain levels. Maybe that is pie in the sky and the cost would be outrageous, but we do it with oil pipelines.

I see all that flood water in the spring along the Mississippi and wonder why we don't try to capture it in some way.
Reckon it would be possible to transfer Great Lakes water over the divide? There is a fairly low elevation pass up around the area of West Yellowstone. Surely if we can spend trillions on the crap we already do we could move lake water in huge aqueducts.

my way of thinking - and admittedly it could be very wrong is, if the water in the Mississippi - down at the delta before it flows into the ocean - hell, its lost water at that point anyways right? capture it there and pump it into Lake Charles and just keep going west.

I wouldn't want to pump water from the great lakes or wherever but river water running out into the ocean, have at it.

I mean we give 40billion to Ukraine, I'd rather see a rancher or farmer get water to feed this nation with that money

They have been trying to get a project done called the Garrison Diversion since the 1970s. It would pump water from central North Dakota to Eastern North Dakota.

This project is all within one state and can’t be completed, trying to cross what 5-7 states at a minimum. Good luck.

The other thing is that you would be digging 1500+ miles of a river, underground pipes aren’t gonna cut it. How do you approach Mr Landowner all the way along the chosen route and tell him his ram is now going to be at the bottom of a 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide river?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Government has been working on an irrigation system across the Grand Prairie of Arkansas for a long time. Well water is about gone, and lots of rice, corn and soybeans need water. Idea is to pump from the White River, or the Arkansas River, which ever has the most water at the time. Been working for 10-15 years on the project that I know of, and still no water pumped. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Well, I think this thread just gave Whoopi another reason for more abortions! Less people , less water consumption, and with fewer babies , no need for more almond milk dairy farms!

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Matt's Off Road Recovery......

I only just discovered their videos. Lizzie intrigues me.

That's Lizzie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kool beans

Thought she was a rodeo girl

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by DaveR

Watering the grass isn't the issue. Residential consumption accounts for (last I heard) about 6% of water use in SoCal.

Agricultural is the big user at 80% use of all water brought in. And of that, almonds and walnuts use a ridiculous amount of water. Instead of brown lawns, perhaps they should focus on restrictions and improvements on agricultural water use where it could really have an impact. But they don't. They're gonna let the reservoirs run dry so people can snack on almonds.

Yes, there are farmers that need the water. But this isn't the "bread basket" of the country. There are many farms here. Many livelihoods depend on it, but why not a shift on WHAT is being farmed given the current situation? This continues, and there won't be anyone around in the area to buy those water gobbling walnuts and almonds. And when the population moves because there is no water, there will be no support systems for those farms (people), and they'll go tits up in short order. In many areas of the country the farming industry is what supports the community. Maybe not the case in SoCal entirely, but run SoCal out of water, and what do you have left? Farmers with dried up walnut and almond farms.

I likely understand not a lot of it, but what I do know leaves me shaking my head. Or maybe I'm off base and someone will correct me. I can live without almonds. Can't live without life sustaining type crops and water.

And they Zoned all Golf Courses as Agricultural and give them water over the true Farmers growing our Food.Commyfornia is so screwed up nothing will fix it until people start dying in the millions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Can you just imagine the audacity of some people eating, no, SNACKING, on walnuts and almonds?

They should just quit that and eat cane sugar and wear cotton. That’s a much better use of water….

In all seriousness, in my last “real job” our fish farm was attacked for “using absurd amounts of water”. I never could get a number on exactly how much water those fish drank!

But, many people will believe anything they read, and too many of those will regurgitate it as fact.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
They gonna get thirsty in California

I always flush twice. Doing my part for Californians. 👍

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
google foo says this

Over a third of the country's vegetables and two-thirds of the country's fruits and nuts are grown in California

now maybe that can shift to somewhere else, but for the time being, that's reason enough to me anyways to make sure they get enough water

Its easy to point to water being wasted but if you're feeding the nation, you should get some consideration.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
Early 90's or thereabouts there was talk of caliotoe wanting to pipe Snake River or Columbia River water south.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Add icebergs from AK and even a pipe from AK to the Columbia to refill what CA was taking.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch

Can you just imagine the audacity of some people eating, no, SNACKING, on walnuts and almonds?

They should just quit that and eat cane sugar and wear cotton. That’s a much better use of water….

In all seriousness, in my last “real job” our fish farm was attacked for “using absurd amounts of water”. I never could get a number on exactly how much water those fish drank!

But, many people will believe anything they read, and too many of those will regurgitate it as fact.

Well, yeah, them fish drink a whole lot of water, especially them fresh water ones ! whistle

Here's something for folks to chew on. This is America, land of the free, right? Let's say you own (or even lease) land in CA, and want to make a living off it? You have rights to "X" amount of water, and want to maximize your return on investment in your farm.

There's a reason almond production has gone up in Cali, almost year over year for the last 10 years or so. From 1.6 Billion lbs (yes, with a B) to 2.5 Billion lbs in 2019-2020. They are money makers.
Now, do we as a society want to tell a money making American farmer to farm broccoli, or carrots, or even tomatoes and lettuce instead of making better money farming almonds? Or walnuts? Or any other higher value crop?

Here's another thing to think about.........................

2/3 of those almonds are an EXPORT product.

and the almond producers are pushing for more exposure in foreign countries

And the work continues. In the past year, the Almond Board expanded its areas of nutrition research with its first study in the area of beauty. To ensure consumers are keeping almonds top of mind, the Almond Board is also continuing its efforts to build demand through consumer marketing programs in 11 countries, from India and Japan to the U.S. and Mexico. The past year’s programs included launching new advertising campaigns in multiple markets, including in the United Kingdom and India to continue building demand globally for California almonds.

And I didn't make those numbers up, or get them from .gov even. Straight from an industry source, read the article if your interested.

https://pacificnutproducer.com/2020/09/10/ca-almonds-global-shipments-trends/

Show we as a society, tell those almond producers we are going to cut their water because most of their production goes to foreign countries and our citizens need the water more than India, China, and even the United Kingdom need almonds???

Read that paragraph closely. Read that second sentence carefully. Notice the "expanded its areas of nutrition research with its first study in the area of beauty." part of the sentence? Is "beauty" part of the "areas of nutrition", any link to nutrition at all? Maybe if those almonds are more beautiful they will be more nutritious? Or, is the Almond Board more interested in boosting sales to certain consumers? (look into cherry exports to Japan for instance, HINT)

Hopefully some of the Cali farmers that play here will chime in, I'm pretty sure a couple of them at least have looked into water saving measures as their allotments get reduced, or just for the purpose of saving money.

Money might be the answer to the problem. But it opens a whole other can of worms. Start charging more and maybe some folks in areas of the water starved west will stop taking 2-3 showers a day, stop washing their cars at home every week, stop letting the water run in the sink while washing dishes, stop letting water rund down the street when watering their landscaping, farmers might have to start looking into more efficient irrigation systems if they haven't already.

The problem is......................the West is, and has been for a very long time, addicted to CHEAP WATER.

For those proposing schemes of bringing water from some other place to places that need it, look into what happened in Owens Valley when LA acquired the "rights" to their water. If we start pumping water from the Columbia, the Mississippi, the Great Lakes etc, the outcome is likely to be less than desired, especially for folks where the water is being taken from. Well, maybe not the ones there with the water rights they can sell for a profit.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Nuclear power and desalination plants would make Lake Mead an afterthought. But they won’t do it.

At some point they're gonna crack. Nuclear energy is going to be critical if we're not going to rely on fossil fuels. It's fantasy to think we can power the world with windmills and solar farms.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Dutch

Well, yeah, them fish drink a whole lot of water, especially them fresh water ones ! whistle

Here's something for folks to chew on. This is America, land of the free, right? Let's say you own (or even lease) land in CA, and want to make a living off it? You have rights to "X" amount of water, and want to maximize your return on investment in your farm.

There's a reason almond production has gone up in Cali, almost year over year for the last 10 years or so. From 1.6 Billion lbs (yes, with a B) to 2.5 Billion lbs in 2019-2020. They are money makers.
Now, do we as a society want to tell a money making American farmer to farm broccoli, or carrots, or even tomatoes and lettuce instead of making better money farming almonds? Or walnuts? Or any other higher value crop?

Here's another thing to think about.........................

2/3 of those almonds are an EXPORT product.

and the almond producers are pushing for more exposure in foreign countries

And the work continues. In the past year, the Almond Board expanded its areas of nutrition research with its first study in the area of beauty. To ensure consumers are keeping almonds top of mind, the Almond Board is also continuing its efforts to build demand through consumer marketing programs in 11 countries, from India and Japan to the U.S. and Mexico. The past year’s programs included launching new advertising campaigns in multiple markets, including in the United Kingdom and India to continue building demand globally for California almonds.

And I didn't make those numbers up, or get them from .gov even. Straight from an industry source, read the article if your interested.

https://pacificnutproducer.com/2020/09/10/ca-almonds-global-shipments-trends/

Show we as a society, tell those almond producers we are going to cut their water because most of their production goes to foreign countries and our citizens need the water more than India, China, and even the United Kingdom need almonds???

Read that paragraph closely. Read that second sentence carefully. Notice the "expanded its areas of nutrition research with its first study in the area of beauty." part of the sentence? Is "beauty" part of the "areas of nutrition", any link to nutrition at all? Maybe if those almonds are more beautiful they will be more nutritious? Or, is the Almond Board more interested in boosting sales to certain consumers? (look into cherry exports to Japan for instance, HINT)

Hopefully some of the Cali farmers that play here will chime in, I'm pretty sure a couple of them at least have looked into water saving measures as their allotments get reduced, or just for the purpose of saving money.

Money might be the answer to the problem. But it opens a whole other can of worms. Start charging more and maybe some folks in areas of the water starved west will stop taking 2-3 showers a day, stop washing their cars at home every week, stop letting the water run in the sink while washing dishes, stop letting water rund down the street when watering their landscaping, farmers might have to start looking into more efficient irrigation systems if they haven't already.

The problem is......................the West is, and has been for a very long time, addicted to CHEAP WATER.

For those proposing schemes of bringing water from some other place to places that need it, look into what happened in Owens Valley when LA acquired the "rights" to their water. If we start pumping water from the Columbia, the Mississippi, the Great Lakes etc, the outcome is likely to be less than desired, especially for folks where the water is being taken from. Well, maybe not the ones there with the water rights they can sell for a profit.

As I understand it Most Farmers in Commyfornia do not have water rights for the water under their Farms.
Those Rights have been auctioned off to the highest bidder.
I personally know of several Ranches that have been around for well over 100 years. These were Family run Ranches that had their water rights stripped from them with not having a say in the matter.

The Water Rights in Oak Glen Commyfornia were stripped away from the Ranchers and given to Redlands Commyfornia some 40+ miles away.
We Camped at one of the Ranches and got to know the owner quite well. When he tried to fight them he was run out. His Family owned that property for 3 or 4 Generations well over a 100 years.

I met a Contractor that has property in Ontario Commyfornia his family owned over 1000 acres over the years they were forced to sale off chunks to pay the Tax the guy is down to around 150 acres and Ontario gave him a Date to Sale or have his property taken away from him for what they call Community Improvement a fancy name for House Developments to take over. He Lost his water rights about 30+ years ago with no say.
This guy is the very last Rancher to hold out before he is forced to sale all of his neighbors and friends have been forced out. They offered the guy 100K per acre he told them to Shove it where the sun does not shine.
The Developers are now trying to give him 1M per acre and he is telling them to shove it.

When he gets what he wants he will leave and take his money and move to some remote area in Arizona where he can live in peace for the remainder of his life.

I tried to get the water rights when I purchased my home. I live in SBDO County I found out that Redlands owns my water rights and they are Bastards at making sure you know that fact.

The Owens Valley Water Rights were sold to Los Angeles way back in the 1800 or just after the turn of the century 1900s 100s of miles away from LA and they sucked every drop of water they could out of that Valley with no concerns over the Habitat or People that live out there.

Some years ago LA was forced to leave some of the water out there because the dry lake created so much dust it was effecting our Air Force jets. Now the dry lake has been turned into a giant mud pit to reduce the dust.

Commyfornia could care less about what go's on with the Water. It is all about CONTROL. CONTROL over the ones they want to CONTROL that is the bottom line in this Communist State

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most folks don't own the mineral rights under their houses either.

Guess what happens if someone finds a pool of oil/gas under there?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another couple of years and they'll be able to just bluetooth the water there. From anywhere. Anytime. Just wi-fi it. Next problem?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Most folks don't own the mineral rights under their houses either.

Guess what happens if someone finds a pool of oil/gas under there?

Yep
I shut down 2 escrow company's when I asked them to find out whom owned my water rights and whom owned the mineral rights to my place here in Commyfornia & in Arizona
I found out on my own whom owned the water rights in Commyfornia and the Realtor handed over an Arizona State ordinance that stated that I own the water rights for my own personal use in Arizona.

No one has been able to come up with whom owns the mineral rights.
I would suspect that it would be the Railroad because of what the Feds did for the Railroad giving them 100 mile of each side of the tracks if the built the lines way way back in the day. but I have no proof.

The Realtor in Arizona told me that if I found Gold or Silver tell everyone that I found it in Commyfornia and any Turquoise was the Indians and Never by any means let anyone know that I found it on my property.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It’d be neat if the earthquake happened so quick there was no escape and that state fell into the [bleep] ocean.

MAGA
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
It’d be neat if the earthquake happened so quick there was no escape and that state fell into the [bleep] ocean.

Well bye!!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
The tsunami would likely reach your place in MT though Gruff.

In it is contentment

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,969
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.