Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swamplord
"Air guaged" lmmfao ! folks still believe that it really is a thing ?

Typically only skilled machinists and tool makers.

Probably not a lot of air gauges out in the Swamp, chuckle head.

Just Sayin.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Just Sayin.

some of these guys believe that "air gauged" is a process that makes barrels more accurate, countless times I've seen this line of crap

it means simply that said barrel maker will take xx amount of barrels and "air gauge" them & select the best ones out of the batch , means they make tomato stakes / tent pegs and pick the best out of the pile of ......

"air gauged" is a gimmick ya commie

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just Sayin.
some of these guys believe that "air gauged" is a process that makes barrels more accurate, countless times I've seen this line of crap

it means simply that said barrel maker will take xx amount of barrels and "air gauge" them & select the best ones out of the batch , means they make tomato stakes / tent pegs and pick the best out of the pile of ......

How to tell us that you don't know about barrel making without just saying "I don't know about barrel making".

Well done.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Just Sayin.

How to tell us that you don't know about barrel making without just saying "I don't know about barrel making".

Well done.

the fact remains..... that air gauging is not a barrel accurizing process of any sort, contrary to what you believe and others like you, who are easily swayed by nonsense ......

it's a selection process ... picking out the best out of a batch by whatever means .. ie "air gauging" ...., then you are left with seconds & turds from the same lot, this is how you end up with crap barrels, when the whole batch is shyte, you end up the best turd out of the pile .... most of the air gauged barrels don't ever come close to the quality & accuracy of the better brands, cheap shyte is cheap shyte

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have never heard of air gauging being described as an accurizing process.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wore it out

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Drill a hole 24,26,28,or 30 inches deep.
Get back to me when you can tell how straight that hole is.
Without using a air gage.
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Dave

That's not what I meant. I know quite well it's a measurement method for checking the uniformity of the bore. Uniformity of cross section, not straightness as long as we're being particular.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave

What he means is - air gauging is a measurement, not a change affected upon the barrel.

Take a barrel - shoot for record. "Air Gauge" it - it won't shoot better, all you did was measure it. You didn't change the barrel in anyway, thus not an "accurizing process" but a measure of "potential accuracy"

Me

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the fact remains..... that air gauging is not a barrel accurizing process of any sort, contrary to what you believe and others like you, who are easily swayed by nonsense ......

it's a selection process ... picking out the best out of a batch by whatever means .. ie "air gauging" ...., then you are left with seconds & turds from the same lot, this is how you end up with crap barrels, when the whole batch is shyte, you end up the best turd out of the pile .... most of the air gauged barrels don't ever come close to the quality & accuracy of the better brands, cheap shyte is cheap shyte

That litterally is the same as saying measuring any thing is just a selection process.

You know jackschitt about making barrels.

There is no way to get process control of deep hole making until you can measure the hole.

It's not the end all be all but is a step in process control of making deep holes in barrels used by many in the premium barrel market.

Dave

LOL.

Air gauge won't tell you schitt about straight.

It's not.

Accurizing would take a rifle an make it more accurate.

Air gauging is a way of measuring deep bores for optimising manufacturing processes.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 06/29/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

That litterally is the same as saying measuring any thing is just a selection process.

You know jackschitt about making barrels.

There is no way to get process control of deep hole making until you can measure the hole.

It's not the end all be all but is a step in process control of making deep holes in barrels used by many in the premium barrel market.

Dave

LOL.

Air gauge won't tell you schitt about straight.

It's not.

Accurizing would take a rifle an make it more accurate.

Air gauging is a way of measuring deep bores for optimising manufacturing processes.

FFS ! first you blast me... then confirm everything I posted , psycho much ? lmao

Your ego gets the best of you, you aren't as smart as you pretend to be online

Aaaaand you know full well I'm talking about Douglas and their ages long "air gauged" selling point bullshitz, no other barrel makers ever mention it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m not a barrel expert.
Regarding air gauges barrels:
The rifles that one would buy from CMP are measured, by air gauging, I believe. I like to see a “0” at the end of the barrel particularly. Being uniform is good. Having the end of the barrel the highest number (largest diameter) seems to me the worst scenario.
I always thought that Douglas’ air gauge barrels were very good. I don’t understand how air gauging could be anything but good. A friend, back in the 70’s & 80’s, won a few hunter class bench rest matches using Douglas air gauged barrels. To him, Douglas air gauge was the best for the money.

I‘ve bought a few barrels and I don’t recall buying a Douglas air gauge barrel; because when I bought a 721, 722, 700 the accuracy was already there. When I bought Mausers I usually was unhappy with the accuracy and a new barrel would be installed - same with most ‘other than Remington’ rifles in my price range. Putting on a high dollar barrel on a deer rifle didn’t add up for me. Working hard to get smaller than the MOA I felt good about, on a deer rifle, never made sense. I almost always shoot deer standing up and if I used a rest it would be with two sticks.

I know Remington always measured group sizes before the rifle left the factory. If it wasn’t accurate with factory ammo it would be scrapped. Gunsmiths mostly measure group sizes too when the build a rifle.
As far as high $ barrel manufacturers, I’d think they would measure and maybe the best way was by air gauging. Perhaps though they have perfected the barrel making to such an art that they didn’t need to measure??? That seems unlikely to me.

Last edited by Bugger; 06/30/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always something to argue over here😆

Yup.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AKduck
Always something to argue over here😆
Oh büllshit!
smile

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by drano 25
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
For comparison. 7mm 180 ELD at 3000 fps:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I think the “academics” are above the grasp of targeted audience. LOL

Excellent info. Thanks for sharing.

Real world, 7 mag, 9T, throated for the 180g Eldm, R#26, CCI 250, shoots tiny groups on a 26" at 3030 on this one particular barrel.

So, how to build confidence? Shoot on Windy days, middle of the day where winds are swirling. The Combo above seems Magic to say the least in shooting small groups at 300 yards.

Some things you just have to experience.

Ok, some do not like the recoil of the 7 Mag, then try the same thing in a std 280 Rem and 280 AI, and may I suggest that you form your brass from lapua 30/06 brass that will show that primer pockets are tough as an anvil.

The std 280 with the 180g ELDM with just a small amount of powder will perform well beyond your expectations in Real World killing on game. Large Hogs make for some excellent bullet testing.

Last edited by keith; 07/03/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by keith
Originally Posted by drano 25
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
For comparison. 7mm 180 ELD at 3000 fps:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I think the “academics” are above the grasp of targeted audience. LOL

Excellent info. Thanks for sharing.

Real world, 7 mag, 9T, throated for the 180g Eldm, R#26, CCI 250, shoots tiny groups on a 26" at 3030 on this one particular barrel.

So, how to build confidence? Shoot on Windy days, middle of the day where winds are swirling. The Combo above seems Magic to say the least in shooting small groups at 300 yards.

Some things you just have to experience.

Ok, some do not like the recoil of the 7 Mag, then try the same thing in a std 280 Rem and 280 AI, and may I suggest that you form your brass from lapua 30/06 brass that will show that primer pockets are tough as an anvil.

The std 280 with the 180g ELDM with just a small amount of powder will perform well beyond your expectations in Real World killing on game. Large Hogs make for some excellent bullet testing.
IME, real-world results are the same as the simulation; the 180 ELD is a beast in the wind. It's also very easy to get to shoot well, and from what I've seen so far, it's a beast on game, too.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
gotta love all the bs on the fire anymore....this matters that matters more....i bet 75% of you guys could have killed what you shot last year with grandpas 30-30 he sure managed to feed himself with it.....buy what you want and quit asking for approval from some of these guys and enjoy your purchase

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.