Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was at the range with a buddy yesterday and he was using a new Holosun on his "work" rifle. He had to make sure it was dialed in for SWAT testing. I was pretty impressed with it as he was hitting a 2 moa orange dot with it consistently. Laying down consistent 1 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100. He had to replace a Vortex red dot that gave up the ghost the other day. A lot of his buddies use the Holosun, so it came highly recommended to him. He said he's used to using eotechs and Aimpoints when he was a contractor, but likes this Holosun with the solar panel on it. I guess battery life is phenomenal. Wondering how durable they are though? What have been your guys' experience.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Holosun 510 on a few. I really like them

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It’s made in China, only thing you’ll hear bad about them. Have had aimpoints, trijicon, delta point and lco , vortex and eotech. For a straight red dot I’ll take a holosun

Last edited by msuhunter; 06/30/22.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve used them without any issues but I don’t trust their mounting hardware. I’ve got two of the 507C’s on handguns and they work.

I know a half a dozen guys with them and even had one on my 1894 in 44 mag for a bit. They are good sights.

I’ve got a Sig Romeo 5 that appears to be very similar as are the PA dots and while I don’t think they are Aimpoint quality, they are pretty tough.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I shot a buddys AR pistol a few weeks ago. It was sporting a 510 in green. I will be buying one. Seems like a great mid point optic. A little bigger window than the low end stuff and the green reticle is real clear.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by msuhunter
It’s made in China, only thing you’ll hear bad about them. Have had aimpoints, trijicon, delta point and lco , vortex and eotech. For a straight red dot I’ll take a holosun

I've had to send one 507K back twice because the brightness adjustment buttons went wonky. I have another 507K and a 407K that have been holding up fine. But, for people who don't have taxing authority, they are a good value. It's kinda like buying Fenix flashlights instead of SureFires.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
i got two of them (510 and a 403b) in on trades for backup uses.

anybody that says they are just as good, i'll trade em for a T2 and an eotech.

they are probably fine (get a better mount), but i'd rather not export all of our dollars to the chicoms.. a couple used ones on loaner kit doesn't hurt the feelers, but real guns get aimpoint and RMR's.

can grab an ACO for 300$ and change. MRO gets beat on for parallax but it's good kit for 300$ for home defense, and if you gotta wait to get change... mbus sights are 30$ and never get flat batteries.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Burris Fastfire 4. Lifetime replacement guarantee.
You’re welcome :-)

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
V
V
They run Aimpoint Micro mounting footprint, so finding a good mount isn't hard at all. I have a bunch of various models on my "for fun" builds. I've had some problems, but their CS is very responsive and works to make things right, basically no questions asked. If it's a life-or-death situation every time the rifle gets brought out, the only red dot I'd be willing to trust would be an Aimpoint.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I was at the range with a buddy yesterday and he was using a new Holosun on his "work" rifle. He had to make sure it was dialed in for SWAT testing. I was pretty impressed with it as he was hitting a 2 moa orange dot with it consistently. Laying down consistent 1 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100. He had to replace a Vortex red dot that gave up the ghost the other day. A lot of his buddies use the Holosun, so it came highly recommended to him. He said he's used to using eotechs and Aimpoints when he was a contractor, but likes this Holosun with the solar panel on it. I guess battery life is phenomenal. Wondering how durable they are though? What have been your guys' experience.

Uhhh...

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Holosun 510C in the safe waiting for me to install on a AR. I have a couple of Aimpoint Patrol sights on others that I really like.

I wanted to try the Holosun just to see how I liked it. Better get it mounted.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spend the extra $150 bucks and get a Trijicon. Just my opinion and you know what they say 'bout those.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If a person wants to run any optic on an AR they need to have a candid conversation with themselves about what they intend to use that AR for.

"Groups" and red dots rarely mix. It's not the point of a red dot.

I do find comments regarding solar panels and battery life a bit curious because most are advertised as having 20K and north levels of battery life. Holosun gets particularly weird because they adopted the EoTech style reticle, but most fail to recognize that use of that reticle cuts battery life in half. Holosun is also heavy on solar panels. How is this solar panel helping you? How are you/we affirming the fugking thing even works? How many hours per day are you spending with your weapon while exposed to the sun? And if you are spending eight or ten hours in the sun with your weapon, how are we measuring the benefit of these solar panels on an optic that is advertised as having a life of five fugking years?

If somebody tells me they have left the battery running in an AimPoint Micro or Trijicon MRO for four years (I have) I can believe them. If you give that same account regarding a Holosun, I gotta kinda wonder if you understand the concept of time.

Companies like Holosun really shine because they provide a shooter with limited budget to validate "proof of concept" regarding something they may not have otherwise been able to give a go. Of course proof of concept involves things like specified target size, range at which it is engaged, and the time a respective shooter required to ensure hits with one type of sight vs. another. If you're not objectively looking at these things, what's the point?

I don't expect most shooters to become that involved but I do expect them to please understand that a company like Trijicon or Aimpoint isn't going to reinvent the wheel every time a handful of jerkoffs think that maybe something might work a smidge better on the rifle that sees 54 rounds a decade. When you introduce electronics into an optic, you can rest assured reliability will go south if it's not engineered and built correctly. Companies like Trijicon and Aimpoint exhaust all options to ensure these things work. Others, not so much...

Last but not least, tactics is the employing of available means to accomplish an end.

So before equipping your AR, shotgun, or overall bad guy shooter, you need to ask what that end is. Otherwise you're just wasting your and everyone else's time.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by deflave
If a person wants to run any optic on an AR they need to have a candid conversation with themselves about what they intend to use that AR for.

I do find comments regarding solar panels and battery life a bit curious because most are advertised as having 20K and north levels of battery life. Holosun gets particularly weird because they adopted the EoTech style reticle, but most fail to recognize that use of that reticle cuts battery life in half. Holosun is also heavy on solar panels. How is this solar panel helping you? How are you/we affirming the fugking thing even works? How many hours per day are you spending with your weapon while exposed to the sun? And if you are spending eight or ten hours in the sun with your weapon, how are we measuring the benefit of these solar panels on an optic that is advertised as having a life of five fugking years?

If somebody tells me they have left the battery running in an AimPoint Micro or Trijicon MRO for four years (I have) I can believe them. If you give that same account regarding a Holosun, I gotta kinda wonder if you understand the concept of time.

Companies like Holosun really shine because they provide a shooter with limited budget to validate "proof of concept" regarding something they may not have otherwise been able to give a go. Of course proof of concept involves things like specified target size, range at which it is engaged, and the time a respective shooter required to ensure hits with one type of sight vs. another. If you're not objectively looking at these things, what's the point?

I don't expect most shooters to become that involved but I do expect them to please understand that a company like Trijicon or Aimpoint isn't going to reinvent the wheel every time a handful of jerkoffs think that maybe something might work a smidge better on the rifle that sees 54 rounds a decade. When you introduce electronics into an optic, you can rest assured reliability will go south if it's not engineered and built correctly. Companies like Trijicon and Aimpoint exhaust all options to ensure these things work. Others, not so much...

Last but not least, tactics is the employing of available means to accomplish an end.

So before equipping your AR, shotgun, or overall bad guy shooter, you need to ask what that end is. Otherwise you're just wasting your and everyone else's time.

But all those facts make a spontaneous purchase so difficult.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Dam* that was a great post.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
First off, my “gotta go” gun is a Colt 6720 with an Aimpoint H2 in an ADM mount and a Trijicon Accupower 1-4 in an ADM mount that I switch back and forth depending on what I’m gonna do. It also has a TLR-1 HL light mounted at 12:00 if that matters. I turned it on when I bought it and found setting 8 is good to go without washing out under the light. No it won’t get 50,000 hours on a battery but it’ll be two years this August and I’ll change it on my birthday. I get it.

I also have guns like 10/22’s and range AR’s that I don’t want to spend another $700 to stick a red dot on. After using several Holosuns and Sig’s, I’m comfortable with them. I leave the single dot on all the time on my Sig and it goes to sleep when not needed conserving battery life. The solar panel is just for looks, if I understand correctly, it doesn’t switch over automatically but can be turned on if the battery gets too low. It’s a gimmick. But for $120 they work just fine blasting plates and running drills. If I wanna hunt, I’ll stick a scope on one and make the best of it. If I need to grab a gun in the middle of the night, it’ll have an Aimpoint on it.

I also have two Holosun 507c’s one on a S&W 686 that has been on for a couple of years. The other is on a G19 MOS that I’m not ready to carry yet. I need more rounds with it so it’s on a proving pistol sort of. I could’ve bought another RMR or the new ACRO but I’m not convinced this is the way I want to go. That’s my idea of what the Holosuns and Sig’s are for.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The brother in law has one as a back-up on one of his pig rifles.

It has been about 5 years and it is still going strong.

That rifle shoots minute of pig heart out to 4oo yards.

Once you get used to it it works.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Been playing with an AEMS and the solar deal is hokey.

You have one AR for work and/or whatever else. LPVO or red dot?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SLM
Been playing with an AEMS and the solar deal is hokey.

You have one AR for work and/or whatever else. LPVO or red dot?

For me?

Red dot.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by plainsman456
The brother in law has one as a back-up on one of his pig rifles.

It has been about 5 years and it is still going strong.

That rifle shoots minute of pig heart out to 4oo yards.

Once you get used to it it works.

He has what on his pig rifle?

A Holosun? Which Holosun?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,128
Posts18,464,641
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.