Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The anvil belonged to my great grandfathers brother. I think I know where another one is, but it may be buried under a bunch of stuff. I still have a lot of the old horse drawn equipment that my ancestors had. If fuel prices continue to go up, I may have to use them again.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
All I know is that it is cast.

The bottom is.

Fisher Norris patented the welding process where the steel striking surface was affixed to the cast bottom.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Send Billy goat gruff a PM bet he had a good idea....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will see most anvils mounted on an old stump. The reason is the wood stump helps absorb the shock and saves the elbow. Also the stump is set directly on dirt. I have one that has been on the same stump for close to 100 years.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

The bottom is.

Fisher Norris patented the welding process where the steel striking surface was affixed to the cast bottom.

I wonder why they did that?

A cast steel anvil is not inferior to a forged anvil.

Must not have had good cast steel at the time.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The website, anvilfire.com, is a good source of information on anvils.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The bottom is.

You hit them? My dad always had us carry them around in the yard when we did something wrong.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reba
You will see most anvils mounted on an old stump. The reason is the wood stump helps absorb the shock and saves the elbow. Also the stump is set directly on dirt. I have one that has been on the same stump for close to 100 years.

This one was mounted on an old oak stump. I had left it in an old barn, and when a windstorm blew the barn down, the roof fell on the anvil and stump. The impact split the stump in half. I need to find another one to mount it on.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The bottom is.

You hit them? My dad always had us carry them around in the yard when we did something wrong.

Haha! Thats pretty extreme.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad had a standard production anvil in his shop. No idea what happened to it.
He also had a portable anvil he used when he was setting horse shoes. It was made out of the drive rod from a junked, Baldwin 9600 steam locomotive. The horn wasn't offset like those pictured, but the face was wider than standard production anvils. It was good for making sure the shoe was flat.
I know where that anvil is.
My "anvil", such as it is, is a 20" section of 90 lb rail.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Blow it up with gunpowder

Hell yeah!

They used to do some anvil shooting down this way….

Not sure if they still do.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Your anvil is worth bank. They sell for hundred or sometimes thousands of dollars. I watched a local ranch auction that had 2 anvils, one sold for almost $1500 or so.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have an old anvil I'd like to know more about. It appears to be a Fisher and Norris made in 1896. I can't seem to find out much about it.

I have a machinist friend over in Missouri that's an anvil guru. PM me an email address and I'll be glad to put you in touch with him. He's got something like 25 anvils in his collection at the moment.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I used to have a fine, old anvil. Then someone stole it. Bummer. They are great to have around. Very useful.

Retired cat herder.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
How close is your Missouri Anvil guy to Kansas City ?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Cntrmass
They are hard to find.
Collectors make it super hard to get one to get into blacksmithing.

Look on Pinterest for them.

My son was getting into blacksmithing and ran into that problem. Prices were well past what he wanted to spend to get one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Jim;
Top of the morning to you my cyber friend, I hope you and your fine family are well and you're getting decent weather for crops.

When we were into horses I went down a wee bit of a rabbit hole with anvils.

As well the Quebecois farrier who did the hot shoeing for our horses was into it so we'd learn together.

You're correct in that James Jr's is cast by the way the logo and year protrude outwards and is somewhat ornate or better said complicated. At least the base where that is has been cast for sure.

The one wabigoon has is more likely forged and the letters put in with letter punches and we can see the difference.

This guy is fairly easy to listen to and I believe he knows his stuff.

All the best to you all Jim.

Dwayne

Edit to add;

This guy had a lot of useful info on making a shop anvil quieter. Just in case that's useful for anyone out there this morning.

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/30/22. Reason: added another video

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great... Now I'm going to struggle to work on encryption software without succumbing to the temptation of sliding down the "everything you never knew about anvils", hole.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve
Great... Now I'm going to struggle to work on encryption software without succumbing to the temptation of sliding down the "everything you never knew about anvils", hole.

Steve;

laugh laugh laugh

Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that other than avoiding rabbit holes you're well.

It sounds like you might be a wee bit like myself in that regard and if so, all I can say in the most sincere Canuck way possible... I'm sorry... laugh

I've always been that way though, so whether it's been knives, axes, anvils, horses or saddles - well or guns of course but that goes without saying hopefully - I've been prone to diving in while carrying a pick and shovel.

A buddy works up in the Yukon and says that the old mine sights nearly all have a blacksmith shop with an anvil still sitting there. Well the hard to get to mine sights do. He also said that the storage room at the Dawson City museum is stacked with old anvils.

It makes sense though as even today its super expensive to freight anything anywhere up there, so when a mine stops producing the very last thing they'll carry out is a 200lb anvil.

Hopefully the rest of the day is a good one for you sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
An anvil is a great thing to have around. For most of us, a foot or foot and a half of steel rail makes a good "poor man's" anvil for most uses.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
198 members (300jimmy, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 01Foreman400, 18 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.