Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by losttrail60
Topsoil around here is all sold by the yard. Bark, landscape rock, etc... all the same by the yard.

loader bucket....nominally bty, tho. who is measuring? Like 'bender said - get a "10 yard" truck load.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Topsoil around here is all sold by the yard. Bark, landscape rock, etc... all the same by the yard.

Cool...

Yard is convertible to tons pretty easy. Calculators all over the web.

Less cheating by weight.

I get very little product by the yard anymore (concrete being the main exception).

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Krazi
Have 700 s/f of yard I need to fill 4" deep with topsoil. Sold by cubic yard I assume. How many yards of topsoil do I need?
Go!

Not trying to insult anybody, just throwing some education out there to explain how its arrived-it is all about getting units the same, make it apples to apples and not apples to oranges to bananas. Multiple ways around the barn on this one to get to the final answer-

A yard is a volume measurement (length x width x height). You've already got the area measurement of length x width (700 square foot). So you just have to multiply 700 times your height of 4". But 700 is in square feet and 4 is in inches. So, convert 4" to feet, 4 divided by 12 is .333333 feet. 700 sq ft x .333333 feet= 233.3333333 cubic feet. (or, just divide 700 by 3)

Now the problem is convert 233.33 cubic feet to cubic yards.

A yard is 3'. A cubic yard is 3' by 3' by 3'. (3x3x3) or 27 cubic feet per yard.

233.33333 cubic feet divided by 27 cubic feet per yard = 8.64 yards

700/3=233.33

233.33/27=8.64

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by las

loader bucket....nominally bty, tho. who is measuring? Like 'bender said - get a "10 yard" truck load.

If the driveway/yard will take it... we have small and large trucks here in VA... I usually got single axle loads...

In WV... triple axle... maxed.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Cool...

Less cheating by weight.

I get very little product by the yard anymore (concrete being the main exception).

I like all the garden centers around here selling mulch, sand, gravel, dirt, etc 'by the scoop'.

Well, how big is your scoop? "I don't know, just a scoop full."

Is that a heaping scoop or a leveled off scoop? "just a scoop full"

IC B2

K
Krazi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Ya I not in a big hurry. Once I get it leveled off and settled I plan to plant grass. Summer in Iowa not a good time to start it. Last time I did that the city called to see if I had a water leak

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Cool...

Less cheating by weight.

I like all the garden centers around here selling mulch, sand, gravel, dirt, etc 'by the scoop'.

Well, how big is your scoop? "I don't know, just a scoop full."

Is that a heaping scoop or a leveled off scoop? "just a scoop full"

Yepp...

Ya either roll with it because you need to mulch... or buy pallet loads at Lowes or HD.

FYI... pallet mulch is often cheaper when they run the 4/$10 deals. Most don't realize this.

So be it...

Hell... Walmart shipped me 25 large boxes of 10-10-10 fertilizer (#40 bags) cheaper than a bulk load would have been.

Free Shipping on a 1/2 ton of fertilizer... Idiots.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
I'm doing some concrete work. Math made easy....

I told the contractor what I wanted to do, he told the concrete company, they calculated it (using an app, no doubt) and delivered just enough concrete there was just enough left over to erect two barrier posts made of abs sewer pipe (left-over) to protect my electric meter, which I've almost backed into a few times. I "calculated" it was cheaper to do that than what the electric boys would charge me to fix up the meter/line should I damage it.....and had the fore-thought to prep for any left-over 'crete..

When they deliver the next pour in a few weeks, I think I'll prep in front of the garage doors for same... tired of sand/gravel to be swept out....and no sense dumping left-over 'crete somewhere else in the yard, eh?

Reading up in my copy of "Math for Idiots", and running the nummers was way too hard..... smile
Definitely pour an apron. And not a 4 footer like mine.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
math is hard - chatty cathy 1960

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A “yard” of soil, concrete, etc, covers 81 square feet using a 4” depth.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 71 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,812
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.