Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I realize OMGs aren't popular here but the HA of 1960 is/was VASTLY different than the HA of today and while Sonny had his hand in the transition - he was a massive figure in motorcycle culture - club rider or not, you know who he is.

I remember early copies of EasyRider had "Free Sonny Barger" t-shirts for sale in them.

Read his books, read George Christie's books (along with Dobbs and others) about the culture/lifestyle etc. Not for me but I get how it can be for others. Locally we have a few clubs and if you ride at all, you'll be in the same places. DC Eagles, Road Rebels, Ant Mob, Magnetos, WindJammers, and the top for WI - Outlaws (Taco Bowman was a weird dude)

Sonny Barger Dead

Me

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Met and hung with him many times. Good no BS man.
I still have a Free Sonny T

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

I never met him at all, living in WI - was unlikely and when I lived in CA, I believe he was in AZ at the time. Wasn't riding at the time and would have been unlikely to have met him then anyway.

My uncle was in a local club, been around bikers, club guys, non-bikers, motorcycle enthusiasts my whole life basically. It's a fascinating sub-culture.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal

I never met him at all, living in WI - was unlikely and when I lived in CA, I believe he was in AZ at the time. Wasn't riding at the time and would have been unlikely to have met him then anyway.

My uncle was in a local club, been around bikers, club guys, non-bikers, motorcycle enthusiasts my whole life basically. It's a fascinating sub-culture.
When I was living by the Cities he would come and hang at the HA clubhouse often. He was a Nomad then and just traveled around the country. He would hang at the shop during the day. I'd work on his bike and get it ready for his travels. My sons loved him. He liked kids and would sit and talk with them. My oldest son still talks about him and has a photo of him and Sonny hanging in his garage.

Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

When I was living by the Cities he would come and hang at the HA clubhouse often. He was a Nomad then and just traveled around the country. He would hang at the shop during the day. I'd work on his bike and get it ready for his travels. My sons loved him. He liked kids and would sit and talk with them. My oldest son still talks about him and has a photo of him and Sonny hanging in his garage.

Very cool experiences.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Very cool experiences.
He was a very good mechanic. We would talk motors all night.
I was the builder and crew chief for a HA Pro Stock and Top Fuel team. If he was anywhere near where we were racing he would show up at the track and hang with us. He knew Knuckles and Pans really well and had some very fast Shovels but was totally amazed with our 160 ci Pro Stock engines and 180 fuel motor. I remember once in Vegas I sat in the hauler with him most of the night explaining to how the mechanical fuel injection and clutch system worked on a fuel bike.
The last time I saw him was a couple years back. He came up for a members funeral. My son was with me then. He sent me a text this morning saying he was so glad he skipped work that day to go with.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Fuel bikes are nuts. Local HD dealership used to mess with them quite a bit. Doc, for a while, might still had the world's fastest panhead. His daughter used to race, still does from time to time but running the dealership/zoo I think has her busy.

All old vids - Doc's big into Cannonball these days.

Guy just loves building chit -

Me

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
He lasted a long time…never met the guy but met a few members back in the day. Not my lifestyle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Raced with and ageist Doc a lot. He would hit all the mid west tracks like us when there wasn't a national.
Great old school grudge racing. Give the fans a show, collect a few bucks and test new things.

My phone has been blowing up all morning.
His funeral is going to be the biggest non head of state funeral this country has ever seen.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We have a local HA chapter. They cause no problems for the locals, then again NO ONE messes with them. Not saying they're angels other than the "Hell's" kind but their activities draw no attention. And as was said before, when riding in a group they ride as one. It's amazing to see. RIP Sonny.

Last edited by Winchester21; 06/30/22.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never heard of him. I did see some HA's get pummeled by the crowd at a evel knievel show on YouTube. Funny vid

Romans 5:1
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Is Roy dead too??

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Raced with and ageist Doc a lot. He would hit all the mid west tracks like us when there wasn't a national.
Great old school grudge racing. Give the fans a show, collect a few bucks and test new things.

My phone has been blowing up all morning.
His funeral is going to be the biggest non head of state funeral this country has ever seen.

He's a great guy and his dealership treats you like family. I only bought 1 bike there and had some fork seals done. Last 2 bikes I got from the guys at Appleton. They seem to be tight with Erik Buell. I believe his brother works there or something. EBR shut down one time and Appleton bought almost everything.

My mother's bought 5 bikes from Doc, I think? Maybe 6.

Me

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Winchester21
We have a local HA chapter. They cause no problems for the locals, then again NO ONE messes with them. Not saying they're angels other than the "Hell's" kind but their activities draw no attention. And as was said before, when riding in a group they ride as one. It's amazing to see. RIP Sonny.

I've never had issues with any club guys of any club. Then again, I know how to keep my mouth shut, don't ask dumb questions and basically respect their boundaries.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For twelve years here in Texas motorcycles were my only transportation and a major form of recreation, so I had more'n a passing familiarity with the motorcycle culture. Met my Ex through motorcycles, got married in the club t-shirt.

It should be noted that one did not gain entry into an Outlaw Club by helping little old ladies across the street. Probably the biggest impact of the Outlaw minority on the rest of us back then (1980's) was their practice of stealing Harleys. So much so that Harleys could not be safely be left in parking lots at work or at the mall, and the advice was to take a different way home every day so you'd be harder to follow.

Just an observation, I knew one or two socially, didn't try to hang out.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Meh. Not to sound too mannlicherish, but good riddance. If the rest of the 1%er trash would only follow suit.

MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Meh. Not to sound too mannlicherish, but good riddance. If the rest of the 1%er trash would only follow suit.

^^^yep. OC for years, now controlled by the mex cartels. Drugs and human trafficking as well as that pesky harley rustling. Their wannabee "associates" and hangers on like the access to cheap dope and gangbangs.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No admiration of him from me.

Will say he must have been one HELL (pun intended) of a self promoter.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Aint ever seen a 1%er fight one on one and Ive been around many of em and know a few personally. That says all I need to know to form my opinion on them!

Last edited by marktheshark; 06/30/22.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Read his book and Hunter Thomson's, have met a few HAs over the years. Used to know a fellow that was invited to join them, but wouldn't give up riding his Gold Wing, said he could go from Michigan to Cally on the Gold Wing, and not break down all the time! Not so with a HD.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 53 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.