Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would go with a Tikka followed by a Ruger American or Predator (if it is offered in 308)

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
BP-B6

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Bought Axis II in stainless for $320 at Wally World. Shoots lights out. Truly a budget rifle.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My savage axis 2 that is 223 cal shoots horrible with 55gr fmj Federal. Very disappointed with Savage so far.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
My savage axis 2 that is 223 cal shoots horrible with 55gr fmj Federal. Very disappointed with Savage so far.
Try something other than FMJ. No surprise it's not shooting well.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
a second for the XPR.........very underrated rifle IMO

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I would choose the Tikka every time. A .308 Tikka is an easy button.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Mac said

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I just bought a new CVA Cascade in 6.5PRC from a guy ( who really wanted a 6.8 Western instead) and 3 boxes of ammo for a bit under 7 bills. Trigger adjusted to 2#, looks very well put together. I haven't shot it yet but that has been about as "budget" rifle as I can do. I can't get excited about the really inexpensive models because I grew up with "junk". Too poor. ha But I can see the draw, I have relatives who hate spending $$ on anything. They also handle their rifles like I do shovels, hoes and axes. Well, I handle my tools "better" than they do their rifles! (insert a loud raspberry right here!) lol

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A year and a half ago I picked up a T/C Compass in 308 from Academy Sports to use as a truck gun. They had them on sale and it only cost me $241 including tax out the door. I topped it with a 4x Nikon scope I had laying around and built a handload for it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last season was the first time I hunted with it. I fired 4 shots at game.

I really don't know what more you can ask from an inexpensive rifle.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
A year and a half ago I picked up a T/C Compass in 308 from Academy Sports to use as a truck gun. They had them on sale and it only cost me $241 including tax out the door. I topped it with a 4x Nikon scope I had laying around and built a handload for it.

Last season was the first time I hunted with it. I fired 4 shots at game.

I really don't know what more you can ask from an inexpensive rifle.
FYI- That pig has what appears to be a nose bleed!🤣🤣

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hillbillyjake
Ruger American Predator with the AICS mags here as well. Shoots blue box Federal 150’s into very small groups.
Watch Sportsman’s Warehouse. I’ve seen the basic 308 for $399.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a Ruger Predator 308 that takes the AI style magazines. I also have Tikka 308. If you choose Ruger the only one I'd touch is the Predator that takes AI mags. I've had just enough issues with the standard mags that I can't recommend any Ruger American that doesn't take either AI mags or one of the 223's that take AR magazines.

The Rpredator AI 3 round mags protrude from the bottom more than Tikka 3 round mags. Both are available with 5 round mags. The Ruger will take 10 round mags, but IMO that is just too much of a good thing. I tend to use 5 round mags with either rifle. They do protrude slightly, but so do the 3 round mags and it isn't enough to hurt anything and I just like having 5+1 more than 3+1. Probably not needed, but there isn't any real downside in this case.

My Tikka has a better trigger, looks better, has a better stock and is a tiny bit more accurate. The 18" barrel on the Ruger fills a role however and accuracy isn't significantly different. It is still above average. I do like the Tikka a bit more and the small price difference is worth it. I paid $350 for the Ruger. They are over $500 now for the Predator and no longer the value they used to be.

When I was looking at $350 for a Ruger vs $700 for a Tikka the Ruger looked pretty good. But not at $500-$600 like they are now.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by JMR40
I have a Ruger Predator 308 that takes the AI style magazines. I also have Tikka 308. If you choose Ruger the only one I'd touch is the Predator that takes AI mags. I've had just enough issues with the standard mags that I can't recommend any Ruger American that doesn't take either AI mags or one of the 223's that take AR magazines.

The Rpredator AI 3 round mags protrude from the bottom more than Tikka 3 round mags. Both are available with 5 round mags. The Ruger will take 10 round mags, but IMO that is just too much of a good thing. I tend to use 5 round mags with either rifle. They do protrude slightly, but so do the 3 round mags and it isn't enough to hurt anything and I just like having 5+1 more than 3+1. Probably not needed, but there isn't any real downside in this case.

My Tikka has a better trigger, looks better, has a better stock and is a tiny bit more accurate. The 18" barrel on the Ruger fills a role however and accuracy isn't significantly different. It is still above average. I do like the Tikka a bit more and the small price difference is worth it. I paid $350 for the Ruger. They are over $500 now for the Predator and no longer the value they used to be.

When I was looking at $350 for a Ruger vs $700 for a Tikka the Ruger looked pretty good. But not at $500-$600 like they are now.

This is a good point. Got my RAR 308 for $350 now they are around $500. If they were still $350 I'd likely own a couple more but at current price would rather add a bit of cash and have another Tikka.
I do think the Tikka is a better rifle and don't categorize them as "budget guns".
The RAR was a tremendous value for what I paid.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Go Ruger American. Exactly 6.1 lbs on a scale. An actual short action, unlike the tikka. Holds more rounds than the tikka, Flush magazine, unike the tikka. A faster 1:10" twist than the tikka. One of the easiest triggers to adjust, of any rifle. Accurate as heck, even with 200 grain bullets.

Though the ruger american lacks the features of a serious Alaskan rifle, Ive seen these cheap plastic-wonders operate flawlessly up here from 30 below zero, to constant target shooting at 75 degrees, where the barrel gets scorching hot.

My buddy's 6.2 lb 30-06 handles nasty creek mud, and tundra/taiga foliage equally well:

Paid $100 for mine with 2-7x33 scope.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
not any easier to adjust than Savage, most likely won't have to

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I appreciate all inputs, don’t think I could go wrong with any of the options suggested. I made my choice after bouncing back and forth between Tikka and Ruger. I did read up on the CVA Cascade which is impressive.

Even though I know the T3x well and it’s a solid choice, I went with the Ruger American Go Wild camo version for the following reasons:

• Accuracy - certainly not better than Tikka but my American Ranch in 7.62x39 easily shoots MOA with Hornady Black
  • The camo version uses AI mags, same as my Gunsite Scout so I won’t have to buy extra Tikka mags (which are not budget)
  • It has a threaded 22” barrel, allowing use of my Nomad 30. Only the CTR has a threaded barrel, costs more, and is basically an equivalent pattern to my Gunsite Scout.
  • It is American as someone pointed out, and...
  • Who doesn’t want at least one rifle in burnt bronze cerakote? smile

Last edited by wreckster84; 06/29/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good choice. Whole lotta AMERICAN rifle for the money.......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 79 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.