24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The "shaken, not stirred" part of the recipe might be hard to survive...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Gods way to wipe out sin-city!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you live in a desert, why would you be surprised when there is no water?

When you live below sea level, why would you be surprised when you get flooded?

If you live in Phoenix or New Orleans, you have to realize you are in the middle of a natural disaster that hasn’t happened, and when it does, you scream for help.

Meanwhile, Montana and the Yellowstone river basin is just the opposite…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
google foo says this

Over a third of the country's vegetables and two-thirds of the country's fruits and nuts are grown in California

now maybe that can shift to somewhere else, but for the time being, that's reason enough to me anyways to make sure they get enough water

Its easy to point to water being wasted but if you're feeding the nation, you should get some consideration.
Blame the trucking industry. Before that, people ate fresh veggies in the summer and beans and corn in the winter. Then the truckers started hauling stuff north in the winter. Now our stores are full of fresh stuff all year round, not just when it's in season locally. We demand January lettuce and strawberries and CA provides them with trucks being the intermediary.
Trucks are also the reason that so much store-bought produce tastes like cardboard. Often the good stuff is too fragile to be trucked 1000 miles. Plant breeders have had to develop varieties that can take the highways without turning into mush. Quality tomatoes just aren't going to survive the trip from CA to MN.

I'm not complaining a bit about eating fresh green salads in the winter. I'm just pointing out the realities of CA growing all that water drinking produce. They're just providing what the rest of the country wants. They're using lots of water but it's to fill YOUR plates.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you smoke a carton of ciggs a week, walmart tomatoes still rank up there with Donkey Ride to Heaven goodness.

😂😂😂

Pall Mall Wisdom #137

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
It’d be neat if the earthquake happened so quick there was no escape and that state fell into the [bleep] ocean.
The tsunami would likely reach your place in MT though Gruff.

I'll have a surfboard handy. Always wanted to try. laugh

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It’d be neat if the earthquake happened so quick there was no escape and that state fell into the [bleep] ocean.
The tsunami would likely reach your place in MT though Gruff.

I'll have a surfboard handy. Always wanted to try. laugh

Yeah, but do you really want to ride the wave and end up in Kansas?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they say it will be at deadpool stage in less than 8 years at this rate

I understand people have varied levels of sympathy for western water tables and water rights, but that is the bread basket of this country.

I am surprised congress hasn't proposed a water pipeline, say from the mouth of the Mississippi thru a series of lakes with giant pumping stations in an attempt to maintain levels. Maybe that is pie in the sky and the cost would be outrageous, but we do it with oil pipelines.

I see all that flood water in the spring along the Mississippi and wonder why we don't try to capture it in some way.

California and most horticulture in the southwest is not the "breadbasket" of the USA, but more the "heavily irrigated unsustainable hobby garden" of the USA.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Most folks don't own the mineral rights under their houses either.

Guess what happens if someone finds a pool of oil/gas under there?

I own the mineral rights under mine. and have leased the gas rights out, to the tune of about 5,800 an acre. you are absolutely nuts to sell mineral rights

Last edited by gitem_12; 06/30/22.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I own the mineral rights under mine. and have leased the gas rights out, to the tune of about 5,800 an acre. you are absolutely nuts to sell mineral rights

I'd say so, regarding selling mineral rights. Might as well sell the whole property.

Unfortunately, Out West, many places come (as someone mentioned) with them not belonging to the property owner but still held by the railroads or some other entity.

If they found something under my 7 Acre RANCH! and wanted to drill or dig for it, I'd just move into an RV and hope the wife wanted to come along on a journey,

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deadlift_dude

I understand people have varied levels of sympathy for western water tables and water rights, but that is the bread basket of this country.

I am surprised congress hasn't proposed a water pipeline, say from the mouth of the Mississippi thru a series of lakes with giant pumping stations in an attempt to maintain levels. Maybe that is pie in the sky and the cost would be outrageous, but we do it with oil pipelines.

I see all that flood water in the spring along the Mississippi and wonder why we don't try to capture it in some way.

California and most horticulture in the southwest is not the "breadbasket" of the USA, but more the "heavily irrigated unsustainable hobby garden" of the USA.

What are your statistics?

CA has 25+ million acres in production and some of the nations biggest farms.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Maybe it's the thinking that because Cali no longer grows much wheat and therefor is not a "breadbasket"?

But, if you eat any processed tomatoes, there's a good chance they came from Cali.

Producing more than 90 percent of the nation's processed tomatoes and nearly half the world's total processed tomato tonnage, California's tomato growers are among the most innovative, resourceful and efficient farmers in the world.
https://www.ctga.org/

Eat raisins?

On approximately 200,000 acres, the 2,000 California Raisin growers produce 100% of the U.S. raisins, totalling approximately 300,000 tons annually in an area within a 60 mile radius of Fresno, California – known as the central San Joaquin Valley. Two-thirds of the U.S. raisin production is consumed in the U.S. and Canada, while one-third is exported to nearly 50 countries with Japan and the United Kingdom being the top two export markets.
https://caraisins.com/the-california-raisin-industry/

Broccoli?

California produces 90% of U.S. Broccoli,
http://www.seecalifornia.com/farms/broccoli.html

Rice?

California is the 2nd largest rice-producing state

>498,000 acres of rice planted on 1,100 farms in 2019

Rice production contributes >$775 million to the state economy

Hay for animal feed?

In 2016, California produced the second largest amount of hay in the US. California farmers produced approximately 6.6 million tons of hay in 2016. The Californian livestock industry depends to a large extent on hay to supplement other feeds and improve the quality of their animals. Some of the hay varieties grown in California include Oat hay, Teff Grass hay, Sudan hay, and alfalfa hay.In California, alfalfa, one of the principal crops in the production of hay, mainly grows in the northern and southern ends of the state. Farmers consider the alfalfa grown in the northern limits of the state to be of a higher quality than alfalfa grown anywhere else in California. Some of the companies that sell hay in California include Musgrave Hay Sales, Hay Valley Mart, and North Bay Hay & Grain which specializes in hay made from alfalfa, orchard grass or rye.

Any other crop there's likely internet info on, so perhaps not a big deal in wheat growing "breadbasket" terms, but if you like to eat other stuff than wheat bread there's a pretty good chance some of it came from California.

In it is contentment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by bbassi
Get your own dam lake. These are taken.
If you had extra water you wouldn't want to spare some? I know it won't happen. Our money goes to fight wars overseas. We have 1/3 of our country that desperately needs water and 1/3 of our country that very often has too much water. I wish to hell my state could send our floods to the arid west. 30 or more percent of this state went under in 2016.
This is the first thing that comes to mind when we talk about western water issues.

Haha, I was thinking of that same thing. Been hearing of taking water from the Great Lakes for a long time. Never happen.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel
When you live in a desert, why would you be surprised when there is no water?

When you live below sea level, why would you be surprised when you get flooded?

If you live in Phoenix or New Orleans, you have to realize you are in the middle of a natural disaster that hasn’t happened, and when it does, you scream for help.

Meanwhile, Montana and the Yellowstone river basin is just the opposite…

Yep, same in the Great Lakes region. Lake levels were so high not too long ago, waves were eroding the shoreline and houses falling in

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I'd say so, regarding selling mineral rights. Might as well sell the whole property.

Unfortunately, Out West, many places come (as someone mentioned) with them not belonging to the property owner but still held by the railroads or some other entity.

If they found something under my 7 Acre RANCH! and wanted to drill or dig for it, I'd just move into an RV and hope the wife wanted to come along on a journey,

The reason I asked who owned them was because when I was in High School a developer built homes lots of homes on a particular site.
After the homes were completed they found Oil under the homes and the home owners had no rights and no say about the oil being pumped out from under them. The Pumping company angle drilled under the homes so that they were no inside the development when they drilled.
This happened in Utah in the late 70s early 80s. It was all over the news back then.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Maybe it's the thinking that because Cali no longer grows much wheat and therefor is not a "breadbasket"?

But, if you eat any processed tomatoes, there's a good chance they came from Cali.

Producing more than 90 percent of the nation's processed tomatoes and nearly half the world's total processed tomato tonnage, California's tomato growers are among the most innovative, resourceful and efficient farmers in the world.

Eat raisins?

On approximately 200,000 acres, the 2,000 California Raisin growers produce 100% of the U.S. raisins, totalling approximately 300,000 tons annually in an area within a 60 mile radius of Fresno, California – known as the central San Joaquin Valley. Two-thirds of the U.S. raisin production is consumed in the U.S. and Canada, while one-third is exported to nearly 50 countries with Japan and the United Kingdom being the top two export markets.

Broccoli?

Rice?

Hay for animal feed?

In 2016, California produced the second largest amount of hay in the US. California farmers produced approximately 6.6 million tons of hay in 2016. The Californian livestock industry depends to a large extent on hay to supplement other feeds and improve the quality of their animals. Some of the hay varieties grown in California include Oat hay, Teff Grass hay, Sudan hay, and alfalfa hay.In California, alfalfa, one of the principal crops in the production of hay, mainly grows in the northern and southern ends of the state. Farmers consider the alfalfa grown in the northern limits of the state to be of a higher quality than alfalfa grown anywhere else in California. Some of the companies that sell hay in California include Musgrave Hay Sales, Hay Valley Mart, and North Bay Hay & Grain which specializes in hay made from alfalfa, orchard grass or rye.

Any other crop there's likely internet info on, so perhaps not a big deal in wheat growing "breadbasket" terms, but if you like to eat other stuff than wheat bread there's a pretty good chance some of it came from California.

You didn’t make the point you hope to. Nothing Cali grows we can’t do without or grow somewhere else. It’s not a breadbasket, it’s a hobby farm for faàgs.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Eat raisins?

Broccoli?

Rice?

Hay for animal feed?

You didn’t make the point you hope to. Nothing Cali grows we can’t do without or grow somewhere else. It’s not a breadbasket, it’s a hobby farm for faàgs.

You lead a dull dammmned life. smirk

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Eat raisins?

Broccoli?

Rice?

Hay for animal feed?

You lead a dull dammmned life. smirk

Absolutely. But it’s year round in a place I chose to live and raise my family. Not like I’m using the thermometer to decide which house I live in lmao

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Eat raisins?

Broccoli?

Rice?

Hay for animal feed?

Yep. Sorta true.

But try growing that 90% of the canned tomatoes, or all those raisins somewhere else and see how well it goes.

Kids want their sketti O's and box of raisins for lunch and there won't be enough to go around. Tell them "Here, have a slice of wheat bread, we can grow wheat just fine around here"

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whisky is for drinking; water is for fighting over

Mark Twain

Insightful guy

Please don't feed the trolls!
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
492 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,194 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.