Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey guys, I’m trying to help a friend who has a beautiful little sporter from Kimber. It is Kimber of oregon model 82 in 22 hornet.
He has suffered a failure if the bolt, specifically the handle and what I believe to be the cocking lug on the bottom of the handle.
As you probably have guessed the word from kimber was basically tuff [bleep]…
So he is hiring our smith to try attempt a repair. The problem lies in even locating a mechanical drawing, there doesn’t seem to be much out there. I was hoping to find someone who would be willing to help if they have one…we are hoping to get some measurements and a couple of high res pictures.
If you might know of anyone or even someone with parts or knowledge of the model proper, you’d be a saving grace!

I have posted in the gunsmith forum however I reckon there may be more potential shooters on this varmint specific page….

Thanks so much!

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a LH 82 hornet. The bolt will be opposite but should otherwise be the same.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, good and bad news: I have what you're looking for, Kimber of Oregon Model 82 in 22 Hornet, RH. BUT - not at all equipped to do any precision measurements.
I can take some pictures, anywhere from 3MP up to 16MP, but the image gallery doesn't like anything above 2MP.

Send me a PM if you're desperate and have an email that will accept big pics, or dropbox or something similar.

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ll pm you my email. To be frank even a newer iPhone should show the detail needed. We are hoping to get a pic of the bottom of the bolt, the bolt handle ring there is a lug on the bottom. Need a pic from hopefully a few angles. I don’t know if you happen to have any but a grid line paper might be an idea to set it on with the pic…
Depending on what is there (from what I can see in searched images it looks like a simple lug cast into the handle piece) a set of reloading calipers most probably would be all I could hope to measure…not a smith so I certainly can’t get that precise. I reckon a LH would likely be the same and thanks for the offer…having someone willing with an actual RH bolt, maybe let’s work from there for the time being, lest I bother too many people…
I APPRECIATE IT GENTLEMAN!

the bit that is throwing us off, if you look in the groove of the action, opposite side of the bolt handle cut (so left side of the ‘groove’)…down in the action there is an oblong milled cut down in there…you need a flashlight and likely a set of specs (we did) to see it…we are wondering if there is a piece that is on the bolt side, that front lug, if there is something that interacts with that milled portion on the receiver side…
-if that makes sense- (I don’t have a pic of the reciever side to show what I’m talking about but if you pull the bolt and look you’ll see that milled bit on the receiver side)
I think with pics we can see it.
The dimensions of that lug on the bottom of the bolt handle, measured with some calipers, would be awesome.…

-short of finding a bolt in hand, to take to the smith for him to pull measurements, then returning it….we likely won’t find another in our neck of the woods…although after handling his (minus the bolt failure) I’d love to have one in 22 hornet just like his!

Thanks Gents, email address in bound. I think my iCloud email should handle a decent sized image. I’ll have to lookup my google drive address…let’s try it x)

Ok, lug in question is I

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmPHfLyop][Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com][/URL

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The break in question
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a KOO chambered in .223 . Would that work for your purposes? I'm in Boise.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I think the Kimber 223 is based on a different, Mauser-type action with two conventional, forward locking lugs versus the 82 (Hornet). I have a Kimber 82 22 Hornet and that looks like the load bearing lug of the bolt.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
There are some Kimber of Oregon bolt parts for sale on gunbroker.com. Not sure if this would help but maybe so.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Collectib...0of%20Oregon&Sort=13&PageSize=24

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not a great pic - will try to get a better one. Looks like you need the bolt shroud.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MikeL2; 07/05/22.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Maybe a little better, tried to get rid of shadows.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Another thing to keep an eye on, is the small locking screw that rides in the cutout. They are prone to wear and should be replaced often.

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
PM’d you

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all…. The smith is hoping to find a bolt to pull measurements off of….that’s a big ask I know. If anyone wants to rent their bolt for a few weeks I’d pay for shipping etc…take it to diamond t gunsmithing and have Shawn measure everything, then return post it….

I know that is a big ask, I have good rep on here, also gunbroker under the same name…you’d sure be a life saver… x)
Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you have a Kimber 82 .22? I may be wrong, but I think the bolts are the same on these rifles- at least the part you are looking for. If you have one available it might work for measurements.

I saw a good picture of a bolt for a Kimber 82 Hornet bolt on gunsinternational but I couldn't figure out how to post the pic to this site.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes we wondered that….maybe (hopefully) someone may be able to comment about that. I have found some possibilities in a publication by KOO re: bolt takedown on the .22 targets. So I am looking for that publication.

If (and I mean if) anyone has one of these Koo rifles in .22hornet and you aren’t shooting it for maybe 3 weeks….let me pose a possibility for a rental scenario.
If your willing to name a deposit amount of your choosing, I’d be willing to send you a check, then you mail me the bolt. I will immediately take it to my smith so he can pull measurements and make a mechanical drawing, he is willing to do this with a ‘no wait’ type deal…then I’ll bring it home and mail it back. All tracking and shipping I will pay. then you send me my deposit, less a rental fee for your time, upon return of the bolt….
That’s just an idea…

I’m half tempted to get one of these rifles and use it to help him out…but I fear this issue might be a design flaw…anyone seen this happen or problems with the KOO model?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
PM inbound. Not sure if it'll help.

Also, I dumped a bunch of old Kimber stuff here. If you find any drawings from Kimber of Oregon or Kimber of America (pre-Yonkers) etc, I would like to add them.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...0667628/1/Kimber_of_Oregon_-_photo_and_l

Originally Posted by Iclimb
Hey guys, I’m trying to help a friend who has a beautiful little sporter from Kimber. It is Kimber of oregon model 82 in 22 hornet.
He has suffered a failure if the bolt, specifically the handle and what I believe to be the cocking lug on the bottom of the handle.
As you probably have guessed the word from kimber was basically tuff [bleep]…
So he is hiring our smith to try attempt a repair. The problem lies in even locating a mechanical drawing, there doesn’t seem to be much out there. I was hoping to find someone who would be willing to help if they have one…we are hoping to get some measurements and a couple of high res pictures.
If you might know of anyone or even someone with parts or knowledge of the model proper, you’d be a saving grace!

I have posted in the gunsmith forum however I reckon there may be more potential shooters on this varmint specific page….

Thanks so much!

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/11/22.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 70 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.