Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I own the homestead of the family who had the first white male child born in the county.

History means a lot to us.

History and family.

Sorry Ed...I know I was supposed to say "money".

Very important.

I own the 1/2 section my grandfather bought in 1929 . Moved so the growing family could walk to school. Leased the 1/2 acre in the SE corner for the ‘new’ school. Rent free until the school shut down in 1963.

My brother owns the 1/2 section ( homestead and pre-emotion 1/4)the same grandfather homesteaded in 1907.

Important 👍

Last edited by Lorne; 06/30/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The family homestead. Great Gramps bought out the adjoining place and skidded the house over home with teams of horses. He then cobbled the 2 places together....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sumbuddy was a good carpenter, lots of straight lines on that new roof tie in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And then there was the whores and their Brothels.

[Linked Image from cultjones.com]

[Linked Image from cultjones.com]

[Linked Image from crimecapsule.com]
At 611 Cedar Street in the 1890s, the Western Bar featured beer brewed locally at Sunset Brewery. Pictured to the right is the U&I Saloon. The U&I brothel operated continuously from this time until 1991. Historic Wallace Preservation Society.

Famed for its “cathouses,” towns in the Silver Valley—just like one of the other regional capitals of vice, Butte, Montana—adopted a largely tolerant attitude towards prostitution, with brothels operating on a legal or quasi-legal basis throughout much of the twentieth century. Given Wallace’s lax approach to enforcement—and in some cases, downright endorsement of “relief” for the restive single-male miner demographic—it’s no surprise that the area has some stories to tell. 

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JeffA
[Linked Image from floridamemory.com][Linked Image from tampabay.com]

Richard Hornbuckle’s car rests where it skidded to a stop 14 inches from the edge of the Sunshine Skyway bridge, struck by the freighter Summit Venture in St. Petersburg on May 9, 1980. The freighter rammed the southbound span of the bridge, collapsing a 1,200-foot length of the bridge and sending several cars and a Greyhound bus into the water. Thirty-five people died.

I hate driving over those big bridges. Worst one I can think of off the top of my head was in Charleston, SC. I don't remember the name of the bridge or what it goes over, but I didn't like driving that thing one little bit. Engineering marvels though!

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from crimecapsule.com]
While prostitution was common in Wild West-era towns, Wallace didn’t just tolerate the profession, it embraced it for more than 100 years. Illegal brothels openly flourished as late as 1991. In the new nonfiction book “Selling Sex in the Silver Valley: A Business Doing Pleasure,” 

Locations of Wallace brothels
Sanborn fire insurance maps of wallace through the years, with brothel locations in purple:

[Linked Image from findheatherlee.files.wordpress.com]1891

[Linked Image from findheatherlee.files.wordpress.com]1892

[Linked Image from findheatherlee.files.wordpress.com]1896

[Linked Image from findheatherlee.files.wordpress.com]1901

[Linked Image from findheatherlee.files.wordpress.com]1905

[Linked Image from findheatherlee.files.wordpress.com]1908-1912

[Linked Image from findheatherlee.files.wordpress.com]1927

[Linked Image from findheatherlee.files.wordpress.com]1930-1946

[Linked Image from findheatherlee.files.wordpress.com]1950s

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Lorne
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I own the homestead of the family who had the first white male child born in the county.

History means a lot to us.

History and family.

Sorry Ed...I know I was supposed to say "money".

Very important.

I own the 1/2 section my grandfather bought in 1929 . Moved so the growing family could walk to school. Leased the 1/2 acre in the SE corner for the ‘new’ school. Rent free until the school shut down in 1963.

My brother owns the 1/2 section ( homestead and pre-emotion 1/4)the same grandfather homesteaded in 1907.

Important 👍

That's cool!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The old two-story stucco house with green shutters at 234 E. Mendenhall St. looks pretty unremarkable today, but 120 years ago it was likely the best little whorehouse in Bozeman Montana.

[Linked Image from bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com]
[Linked Image from i-dailymail-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mattie Silks

[Linked Image from recollections.biz]

Mattie entered the sex industry at an early age, becoming a madam for the first time at just 19. She would later say that she never actually worked as a prostitute, but only as a madam. She ran brothels in Springfield, Dodge City, and Georgetown before landing in Denver. 

Mattie was a famous Madam of the Wild West because she was a true businesswoman. She was known for her inventive marketing, often holding elaborate parades in which she displayed the women in her employ. Her efforts paid off. The Market Street brothel was the most popular brothel in the city, surpassed only by the famous House of Mirrors in 1898. Mattie kept at it, however, continuing to operate competitively, and then buying the House of Mirrors when its owner died in 1909. 

By far, what I love most about the history of Mattie Silks is the lore of the duel she fought with rival brothel owner, Kate Fulton. Yes, you read right, an actual duel between two women. The legend has it that the two women were battling over business as well as the affections of Mattie’s lover, Cort Thomson. When the competition reached a boiling point, a duel was arranged in which the two faced each other, topless none the less. While they both missed, Cort himself was hit by Mattie’s bullet. 

In reality, it may have been a drunken bar fight when the two rival madams ran into each other while enjoying some time off. Either way, Mattie was a woman who left people talking wherever she went. 

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Julia Bulette 

The best story in the legend of madam Julia Bulette was that she was so beloved by the male citizens of the mining town in which she operated (Virginia City, Nevada) that she was made queen of the 4th of July parade in 1861. The honor involved sitting atop the shiny new fire truck during the parade, especially fitting as she had also been made an honorary member of the company. 

Even during her life, Julia’s story was filled with mystery, rumor, and legend. It was thought that she was born in England, though researchers believe her actual birthplace to have been Mississippi. While little is known about her early years, it is known that she arrived in Virginia City after the Comstock Lode and was one of the few single women in town. It is likely that she traveled to the city for the exact reason of getting into the “sporting life.” It is said that her warm personality endeared her to the men of the city. Her legend also includes stories of her helping to put out fires, helping the sick, and taking in the homeless. 

Julia ran her own business out of a house in the red light district of the city. She was wildly popular and successful, competing with the best establishments in town. 

Sadly, Julia was the victim of a violent attack in 1867 in which her killer strangled her before taking off with her valuables. Her death shocked the city and her funeral was attended by hundreds of mourners, evidence that she was respected and loved. Her murder remains a popular topic of study for those interested in the Wild West. 

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Belle Brezing

Belle Brezing was dealt a bad hand in life and did her best to survive when faced with a dire situation and virtually no prospects or opportunities. It is a complicated and fascinating story, and I will just cover a few main points here. 

Belle born in 1860 in Lexington, Kentucky, to Sarah Ann Cox, a mother down on her luck. Sarah soon married a man by the name of George Brezing, who appears to have been an abusive alcoholic who eventually ran out on the family. To make ends meet Sarah worked part-time as a dressmaker and part-time as a prostitute. 

As a teen, Belle was involved in a complicated love triangle that left one man dead, one man on the run, Belle pregnant, and all dissatisfied. After Belle delivered the baby, she continued to live with her mother, despite having married the father. However, Sarah passed away just months later and the landlord immediately took over the home. This is when Belle decided to enter the sex industry. She soared to the top of the local market, even working in a brothel housed in one of Mary Todd Lincoln’s former houses. Soon, she would be known as one of the most famous Madams of the Wild West.

When Belle decided to venture out on her own she has built a loyal clientele who provided business as well and investments into her various brothels. She owned several different houses of ill refute over the years, becoming known as having “the most orderly of the disorderly houses.”

Belle was said to let her employees keep most of their earnings and that she made her money with the liquor she sold at her establishments, particularly the best champagne she could get her hands on. She continued to operate in Kentucky until Prohibition forced her to close down. She remained living in the house of her last brothel, sadly becoming addicted to morphine and inflicted with uterine cancer (the two ailments likely related to one another). 

In her good days, Belle was known as the classic lady of the night with a heart of gold, contributing to local charities. This reputation was so strong that it is believed she inspired the character of Belle Watling in Gone With the Wind, though Margaret Mitchell denied it. 

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fannie Porter

While all of the madams of the Wild West lived life on the edge, Fannie jumped right over it with both feet. Her legend includes being close friends with Butch Cassidy’s gang, willingly providing her brothel as a hang out for cowboys on the run, and playing matchmaker for outlaws. 

Fannie’s family arrived in Texas when she was just one year old, immigrating from England. Growing up as both an immigrant and in the middle of the Wild West may have inspired her to enter “the sporting life”, as she took up the trade as a teenager and opened her own brothel at age 20 in San Antonio. It was known as a high-quality establishment and outlaws loved spending time there following their successful heists. Most famously, the mysterious Etta Place is said to have met the Sundance Kid while working for Fannie. One would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that place! Fannie was trustworthy, known for never giving up information about any fugitive customer. 

Fannie was successful partially because of her shrewdness. When public opinion started to turn aggressively against brothels, she closed up shop and quietly shifted careers. She drifted into obscurity, with various theories about what she did with the remaining years of her life. 

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I'll bet those children working in the oyster shucking buildings and the weaving mills were not standing around worrying about their "safe spaces." wink

L.W.

Or any guilt about 'white privilege'.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dora DuFran

Deadwood with Dora DuFran, one of the most famous madams of the Wild West.
Like Fannie Porter, Dora’s family immigrated to the American West (Nebraska) from England when she was just a girl. And like most of the women in this post and most that I’ve read about who became “soiled doves,” she entered the sex industry as a teen, but the trajectory as to how that happened is muddy at best. What we know is that she began working as a prostitute in Nebraska at a young age and then made her way to Deadwood as the Gold Rush hit, arriving in town and declaring herself a madam from the get-go. She may have started in nothing more than a tent or two, but she eventually became one of the most successful madams in the area up until her death in 1934. 

We know that Dora was friends with some of the best-known characters in Deadwood. Calamity Jane worked for her from time to time, likely as a cook or maid. It is said that Calamity visited Dora’s place on the night she died. Dora published a pamphlet about Calamity’s life as told to her by the famous character before she passed. She was also friends with the famous Charlie Utter, who is said to have helped procure employees for her. 

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Her is an old historical sign off of I-90 on the frontage road between Reed Point & Big Timber that I saw for the first time last year. I read about it, but had never seen it!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TheKid
I was told they were noodling on the Cimarron River some where in NW Oklahoma.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An old hunting pic from my Dad's early days. A group of duck hunters in Oakville Iowa with their daily bag. They are in front
of my grandfathers tack shop. My dad is the little kid with the knickers and the guy on the end is my grandfather.

I still have relatives in the area!

Last edited by kennymauser; 07/01/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Red Light District

MADAMS JOSEPHINE "CHICAGO JO" HENSLEY and BELLE "CRAZY BELLE" CRAFTON

Montana
Hensley's The Grand

[Linked Image]
The Grand, at the corner of State and Joliet, Nov. 17 1935, showing earthquake damage. During the gold-rush era, it was owned by Josephine "Chicago Jo" Hensley, and was likely a brothel. Hensley also owned the Red Light Saloon, the Coliseum variety theater, and had other commercial interests in the Helena area, including stock-raising.

[Linked Image from bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com]

Mirroring Helena’s prosperous aura was its extensive red light district, which flourished between Wood and Bridge Streets. Initially, a number of “proprietor prostitutes” working alone out of small houses that they owned, defined the district. By the 1880s, however, a few increasingly powerful madams consolidated ownership of the tenderloin, erecting several large parlors and colorful bawdy houses. By 1886, no less than 52 white prostitutes worked in Helena’s demimonde, which for more than 20 years had constituted the town’s largest single source of women’s employment outside of the home.

One of the most prominent madams in Helena during this time was Josephine Airey “Chicago Joe” Hensley who, beginning in 1871, shrewdly manipulated a series of business deals to become “the queen of the city’s red light district.” Mortgaging everything, including “three dozen pair of underclothes,” she rapidly became the largest landowner on Wood Street. At the peak of her success, “Chicago Joe” had invested more than $30,000 to erect the Coliseum, a vaudevillian variety theater, and other sizable building projects. But the nationwide Panic of 1893 found her financially overextended, and virtually all of her property ultimately transferred to others. She died of pneumonia a few years later at the age of 56.

Her name showed up in the headlines often...

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by JeffA
[Linked Image from floridamemory.com][Linked Image from tampabay.com]

Richard Hornbuckle’s car rests where it skidded to a stop 14 inches from the edge of the Sunshine Skyway bridge, struck by the freighter Summit Venture in St. Petersburg on May 9, 1980. The freighter rammed the southbound span of the bridge, collapsing a 1,200-foot length of the bridge and sending several cars and a Greyhound bus into the water. Thirty-five people died.

I hate driving over those big bridges. Worst one I can think of off the top of my head was in Charleston, SC. I don't remember the name of the bridge or what it goes over, but I didn't like driving that thing one little bit. Engineering marvels though!

The top section of that bridge was expanded steel grating, when you went from pavement to steel your tires howled..
It use to spook me every time we went over that bridge when I was a kid.

The ship hit the bridge during a storm, that steel would have been wet and slick. The guy was quite fortunate to get'er whoa'ed.

[Linked Image from islander.org]

I was there the morning it fell, I drove as close as I could get to the bridge but couldn't even get a glimpse of the fallen section or the ship.

It's way up there, the folks in the cars and the bus that drove over the edge had plenty of air time to know what was happening.
Of course it's a ship channel there, it's about 75-80 feet deep.

[Linked Image from islander.org]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my GG's, a mason and musician in Southern Utah:

Building the stone bridges, tunnel entrances, and guard walls at Zion national Park

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.