Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've got a backpack hunt later this year, and am open to training advice. I've backpacked before, and hunted from basecamps, but backpack hunting is not something that I have much experience with.

From what I have heard/read, from supposedly qualified trainers, is that your cardio health should already be established throughout the year (hiking, biking, running, etc.) along with strength training (lifting weights). But supposedly neither replace weighted pack training, for backpack hunting. And not on a treadmill, or flat ground. Instead, carrying a weighted pack uphill and downhill. Especially downhill and uneven ground, since most treadmills and flat ground are not good at exercising the same muscles. Makes sense to me, but is that your opinion as well?

Right now, I do weighted pack training 2-3x per week, along with some body weight exercises. The other days, I do weight training and cardio. Plus easy walks with the dog on flat ground throughout the week.

I can definitely notice a difference with the weighted pack training. Just cardio and weight training didn't prepare me for the load on my shoulders and hips. That wasn't much of a surprise though.

I'm pretty happy with my progress, but am not pretending to be an expert. Any additional advice or pointers?

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 06/30/22.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I would caution against over training or rucking with too much weight. I wouldn't go over 80lbs.

I would say get in the best shape you can. Strength, muscle endurance, V02 max, flexibility, etc.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Hi Jason,
Attached is the Atomic Athlete/Exo plan for backpack hunting, I tried it last summer with good results and am starting it again to prep for this years season. I thought you might find it interesting.
Good luck
Chris

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0057/0556/4227/files/Backcountry-Hunting-Training-Plan.pdf

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I would caution against over training or rucking with too much weight. I wouldn't go over 80lbs.

I would say get in the best shape you can. Strength, muscle endurance, V02 max, flexibility, etc.

Thanks, JH. That's a good point about rucking with too much weight. I have heard trainers say that training fully loaded will cause more harm than good. And to taper off the training as a big hunt approaches.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jedi_Swagger
Hi Jason,
Attached is the Atomic Athlete/Exo plan for backpack hunting, I tried it last summer with good results and am starting it again to prep for this years season. I thought you might find it interesting.
Good luck
Chris

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0057/0556/4227/files/Backcountry-Hunting-Training-Plan.pdf

Thanks Chris. I have followed the EXO guys and their dietician buddy at V2P, but didn't know about the Atomic/EXO plan. I'll check it out.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My advice is not to hammer yourself. I do alot of weighted pack/rucking and do most of it with 50lbs. You only get 1 set of knees and hips. I'll use 75 lbs sparingly and in the 4-6 weeks right before season.

If you can't drag a pack around, I've found weighted stepups to be a good substitute. Do it HICT style - 65lbs, 10-12 per min on a 12-14" step, keep heart rate below 150 bpm. I use my stairs going to my bonus room and step up on to the second step. Another good alternative for flat ground is a tire drag. I added a shelf to mine and load 10-30 lbs and take it for a walk around a parking lot at my church. I do get some strange looks. I also do trail running with elevation gain/drop.

The other thing I'd consider is running intervals. Run 4 mins hard, walk 4 mins, repeat 3-5 times. Be forewarned it sucks. But so do the 65 lb stepups. I keep my heart rate below 150 and preferably in the 130s. I adjust my exercise speed accordingly - except the running intervals - you want your heart rate near max.

I buy into aerobically training your type II muscle fibers with the stepups, tire drags, running. Rucking for me is more like aerobics for backpacking - it's hits the primary muscles and increases the aerobic capacity of the muscles and cardio system.

Good luck and keep at it!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I train all year round for health using kettlebells and barbells mostly. But when sheep season gets closer I start wearing a pack. You’re right, nothing can prepare your body for carrying a backpack better than carrying a backpack. It gets your hips and shoulders ready and also your feet. I keep it simple by just adding a pack every time I go for a walk regardless if it’s a flat walk in the neighborhood or a trail. I have a few routes on trails that include steep uphill and downhill hill sections, but I rarely do more than 1.5 hrs on these routes. I also find that working up to about 55lbs is very effective even though my hunting pack weight will be heavier. No need to beat yourself up in preparation. I find that consistency is more important than intensity.
I also maintain my kettlebell and barbell work.
In my opinion and experience, the most important thing that makes a backpacking trip doeable/successful/enjoyable, is pacing yourself.

The worst thing to do is to not stay reasonably fit year round. My main sheep partner for years always hated getting into shape each year. He dreaded the process because you have to start from a low level each time.

Last edited by mod7rem; 07/02/22.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I go on medium to big hikes 2-3 times weekly with a pack on. I just started ramping up the weight for this fall a few weeks back to reduce wear and tear on knees. Most of the year to maintain I have very minimal weight.

This was this AM with 35 pounds a good medium type hike for building up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ruck about 35lb while mowing the lawn - still use the old GR0 and taped up bricks. My thing is working in a workout while doing something that a person was going to do anyhow. Stacking 2 cord of wood with a ruck is way harder than I thought.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Pushing or pulling a sled is great. If you don't have access to one, make one.

IC B3

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I agree about not overtraining. Just keep working out then maybe ramp up a month prior. As I age I find typical cardio about worthless for real world packing. Much better to actually walk up and down hills or stairs than spend time on an elliptical or stair machine. Those little muscles in your feet and front of your calves just don't get worked out like actually walking on unlevel ground. Train like you hunt..

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hike and backpack year round (and strength train twice a week), but find I benefit from rucking some heavier weight prior to hunting season. The stresses of heavier weight requires the small accessory muscles, tendons and ligaments to be strengthened before hand.

After 20 years or so of messing around with different rucking regimes Ive settled on a routine starting eight weeks out from huntings season. I start with low weight (30 lbs). I ruck every other day (hiking w/o weight the other days) and vary the route- short steep stuff (sometimes multiple times), longer gradual incline stuff and some off trail/sidehilling stuff. I do this for two weeks and then bump the weight up to 45#- again every other day and varied routes as far as steepness and duration (I always shoot for one longer hike of 8-10 miles/week); another two weeks at 60 lbs- again varying distance/terrain; the last two weeks I start pulling the weight back- much like a taper period for a long distance race.

I never (anymore) use more than 60 lbs training- chance of injury goes up and never saw any real benefits from using more than 60 lbs.

Hauling meat loads of 80-90 lbs, while certainly not easy, have never been overly problematic.

Rucking weight I've found is important, but the more important elements are hiking (or running/biking) consistently, building the aerobic base; secondly, consistent, focused strength training.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I hike and backpack year round (and strength train twice a week), but find I benefit from rucking some heavier weight prior to hunting season. The stresses of heavier weight requires the small accessory muscles, tendons and ligaments to be strengthened before hand.

After 20 years or so of messing around with different rucking regimes Ive settled on a routine starting eight weeks out from huntings season. I start with low weight (30 lbs). I ruck every other day (hiking w/o weight the other days) and vary the route- short steep stuff (sometimes multiple times), longer gradual incline stuff and some off trail/sidehilling stuff. I do this for two weeks and then bump the weight up to 45#- again every other day and varied routes as far as steepness and duration (I always shoot for one longer hike of 8-10 miles/week); another two weeks at 60 lbs- again varying distance/terrain; the last two weeks I start pulling the weight back- much like a taper period for a long distance race.

I never (anymore) use more than 60 lbs training- chance of injury goes up and never saw any real benefits from using more than 60 lbs.

Hauling meat loads of 80-90 lbs, while certainly not easy, have never been overly problematic.

Rucking weight I've found is important, but the more important elements are hiking (or running/biking) consistently, building the aerobic base; secondly, consistent, focused strength training.

Listen to this guy^^^^^^^^^

I agree with everything he said.

I overdid it 2 weekends ago, 75 lbs, Thought I’d put the majority of the weight on my waist by really cranking the waist belt,

By the 3.5 mile mark my hip flexors declared a strike, still slightly feel it.

Go easy on the weight and so-so on the waist belt, shoulders can/will carry the weight along with the waist belt.

And if going to the gym, avoid machines you haven’t been on in years,,,,example, Starmaster,,,(miserable SOB)….Again, over did the hip flexors,,

And those flexors will remind you for a while.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Listen to this guy^^^^^^^^^

I agree with everything he said.

I overdid it 2 weekends ago, 75 lbs, Thought I’d put the majority of the weight on my waist by really cranking the waist belt,

By the 3.5 mile mark my hip flexors declared a strike, still slightly feel it.

Go easy on the weight and so-so on the waist belt, shoulders can/will carry the weight along with the waist belt.

And if going to the gym, avoid machines you haven’t been on in years,,,,example, Starmaster,,,(miserable SOB)….Again, over did the hip flexors,,

And those flexors will remind you for a while.

Aren't you going to the Brooks Range this year?
I just got back from scouting sheep in a new spot. Climbed about 1000-1200 vertical through an alder jungle heavy with spongy tundra and tons of mosquitos. Broke out into less miserable ridgelines and on up to a peak at about 5050 feet. Maybe 7-8 miles total and 3000 vertical feet gained/lost. Didn't see a damn thing except a curious cow caribou.

It is obvious that I am not in the shape I was last year, but that'll change.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
[quote=Kenneth]

Aren't you going to the Brooks Range this year?

Yes

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I just got back from scouting sheep in a new spot. Climbed about 1000-1200 vertical through an alder jungle heavy with spongy tundra and tons of mosquitos. Broke out into less miserable ridgelines and on up to a peak at about 5050 feet. Maybe 7-8 miles total and 3000 vertical feet gained/lost. Didn't see a damn thing except a curious cow caribou.

LOL, You make it sound so wonderful,

You could write Welcome cards for Hallmark.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is wonderful.

Haven't you ever heard of "embracing the suck"?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
My advice is not to hammer yourself. I do alot of weighted pack/rucking and do most of it with 50lbs. You only get 1 set of knees and hips. I'll use 75 lbs sparingly and in the 4-6 weeks right before season.

If you can't drag a pack around, I've found weighted stepups to be a good substitute. Do it HICT style - 65lbs, 10-12 per min on a 12-14" step, keep heart rate below 150 bpm. I use my stairs going to my bonus room and step up on to the second step. Another good alternative for flat ground is a tire drag. I added a shelf to mine and load 10-30 lbs and take it for a walk around a parking lot at my church. I do get some strange looks. I also do trail running with elevation gain/drop.

The other thing I'd consider is running intervals. Run 4 mins hard, walk 4 mins, repeat 3-5 times. Be forewarned it sucks. But so do the 65 lb stepups. I keep my heart rate below 150 and preferably in the 130s. I adjust my exercise speed accordingly - except the running intervals - you want your heart rate near max.

I buy into aerobically training your type II muscle fibers with the stepups, tire drags, running. Rucking for me is more like aerobics for backpacking - it's hits the primary muscles and increases the aerobic capacity of the muscles and cardio system.

Good luck and keep at it!

Thanks for the suggestions and alternatives, bwinters.

I'm at 40-ish pounds and going gradual with everything, including weight training. Seems to be working well for me. Recovery is easy, the loads get easy quick, and it keeps me motivated and not a burden to workout.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I train all year round for health using kettlebells and barbells mostly. But when sheep season gets closer I start wearing a pack. You’re right, nothing can prepare your body for carrying a backpack better than carrying a backpack. It gets your hips and shoulders ready and also your feet. I keep it simple by just adding a pack every time I go for a walk regardless if it’s a flat walk in the neighborhood or a trail. I have a few routes on trails that include steep uphill and downhill hill sections, but I rarely do more than 1.5 hrs on these routes. I also find that working up to about 55lbs is very effective even though my hunting pack weight will be heavier. No need to beat yourself up in preparation. I find that consistency is more important than intensity.
I also maintain my kettlebell and barbell work.
In my opinion and experience, the most important thing that makes a backpacking trip doeable/successful/enjoyable, is pacing yourself.

The worst thing to do is to not stay reasonably fit year round. My main sheep partner for years always hated getting into shape each year. He dreaded the process because you have to start from a low level each time.

I started using kettlebells and barbells a few weeks ago. I really like the kettlebells so far, and I never see anyone using them at my gym which makes it super convenient not having to wait around for equipment.

Good point on the feet. The more weight I carry, the more critical I am with my boot collection. I used Lowas two days last week, and newer Hanwag once. I thought the Hanwag were going to work for me, but that was without load.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW
I go on medium to big hikes 2-3 times weekly with a pack on. I just started ramping up the weight for this fall a few weeks back to reduce wear and tear on knees. Most of the year to maintain I have very minimal weight.

This was this AM with 35 pounds a good medium type hike for building up.

Greg,

That sounds awesome. I can't imagine a better way to get some exercise, sights, and fresh air.

Jason

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.