Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
If there was no A/C here like when I was a kid, no one would live here. Snowflakes would melt.

Did a lot of research on the construction methods used in hot climates back it the day.
It's pretty interesting, a lot of methods that are seldom to never seen anymore.
Many of which we should revert back to, when was the last time you used a 10ft long crank to open a high window?

There was reason.

Lots of stuff not done anymore. We had sleeping porches. They worked good.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My grandparents in the 1970s had a ‘cabin’ in the Blue Ridge Mtns

Then had their regular home in Brooksville Fla on 55 acres. They would go stay in at their cabin for 6 weeks during July-August.

The old woman was director of nursing at one of major hospitals in Clearwater. Must of had hella vacation tine built up or able to do those ‘sabbiticals’

I was a 8-12 year old house and yard slave at the cabin during summer school break

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Valsdad
That will get you profiled PDQ up here.

Its called a barrow pit or just the ditch.
I was speakin' texanese for Sandbilly.

I am just trying to help you not end up in the ditch!
I prefer creeks nowadays.

Ditches are for puzzieees

Crick, you immigrant.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA
If there was no A/C here like when I was a kid, no one would live here. Snowflakes would melt.

Did a lot of research on the construction methods used in hot climates back it the day.
It's pretty interesting, a lot of methods that are seldom to never seen anymore.
Many of which we should revert back to, when was the last time you used a 10ft long crank to open a high window?

There was reason.

Lots of stuff not done anymore. We had sleeping porches. They worked good.

Covered porches on all 4 sides of a home successfully shaded the lower windows rather well, ceiling fans were key.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by shrapnel
There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what a “snowbird” really is.

A “Snowbird” goes south for the worst part of the winter. Any idiot going north for the summer would be a “Sunbird” or something similar.

Get it straight or start a thread on how to be confused about little or nothing…

Don't snowbirds have to go north sometime so they have a place to go south from? This is kind of an enigma.

Looks like some significant tax advantages for a retiree to have FL residency. Summer is still much nicer up North. Seems like a good plan.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WMR

A “Snowbird” goes south for the worst part of the winter. Any idiot going north for the summer would be a “Sunbird” or something similar.

Get it straight or start a thread on how to be confused about little or nothing…

Don't snowbirds have to go north sometime so they have a place to go south from? This is kind of an enigma.

Looks like some significant tax advantages for a retiree to have FL residency. Summer is still much nicer up North. Seems like a good plan.

Would moving from Miami to Jacksonville be considered a snowbird event?

Me

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by WMR

Got me there. shrapnel lost me at "Sunbird". I live in MI, where winters are cold and taxes are high. Lots of visitors in town now for the holiday weekend. It's kind of nice to see people having fun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by WMR

Got me there. shrapnel lost me at "Sunbird". I live in MI, where winters are cold and taxes are high. Lots of visitors in town now for the holiday weekend. It's kind of nice to see people having fun.

WI here - base of Door County - I expect hours long parades of license plates from IL. FIBs.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Morewood
I can't imagine being this butthurt over snowbirds.

..... who bring revenue to the area and spend it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub

..... who bring revenue to the area and spend it.

and who pay taxes on their property that help support local schools, for kids whose parents relocated from Pennsylvania.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My parents were snowbirds. After a lifetime of working in the cold of Minnesota and raising 6 kids, they decided to spend their retirement winters in Mesa Arizona. Anybody that has a problem with that can kiss my fugkin ass.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

This idiot is heading north for the winter.

I am MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
we who live in America are free to go when ,where and any time we want ,plus even carry a consealed handgun in America . i spend my winters in Northern Minnesota i like the cold ,snowy winters less people around too then . i have friends who are snowbirds good for them its just not my thing to go south for the winter . i was raised in the land/ state of four seasons , spring , summer ,fall , winter , i worked all my life outside as a lineman in all weather conditions so i am just used to it and still enjoy the seasons in Minnesota out in my quiet country life.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They may be pussies, but they seem to have a pretty solid retirement plan and are enjoying it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
They may be pussies, but they seem to have a pretty solid retirement plan and are enjoying it.

Yeah...the bitchy bastards are miserable when home...and then migrate in great drives to roost where it's warm and bitchy.

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Yeah...the bitchy bastards are miserable when home...and then migrate in great drives to roost where it's warm and bitchy.
Careful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pretty much nails it. I know somebody who, while not a snow bird, is very well off and did/does very well in the stock market.

Has enough $$ to do whatever but always so worried about that $$ it's painful to listen to. Gas goes up a dime and we have to make complete different arrangements of appointments and trips to town because a trip might cost a few bucks more.

No bills other than living expenses.

Owns some good real estate.

Miserable SOB when it comes to life.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We call them summer pukes.
Or, some are people.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by duck911

This, for me.

I don't give a chit who lives where, and why. To each his own.

So many "conservatives" here judging other people's life choices, like a damn liberal.

Bingo.

Apathy is a liberal trait.

I hope your kids don't grow to be such a bitter [bleep].

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
At least the snowbirds leave for a few months.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 1,915 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,306
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.