24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just to add to everyone's collective old gun knowledge check out the link below. Because almost all 99 gekes are really old gun gekes.

Lots of very old, very cool pictures. You can see many very old model 8's with the round knob pistol grips. I own one of these versions myself serial number 949x, Grade A manufactured in 1908, 35 Remington and bought brand spanking new in 1909 by my Grandfather's uncle. Uncle Nick. I also own my father's 1928 version Grade C with checkered wood and a capped pistol grip. 32 Remington. My Grandfather told me he bought it from a civil war veteran's widow and gave it to my father on his 16th birthday.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsoci...-gallery-page/vintage-pics?page_id=2661.

A few examples:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
BP-B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Didn't Frank Hamer use a Model 8 to gun down Bonnie and Clyde?

Last edited by OlderGuy54; 06/23/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
Didn't Frank Hamer use a Model 8 to gun down Bonnie and Clyde?
His son once said he did, but the gun he provided was made several years later than Bonnie and Clyde being gunned down. I'm thinking Hamer used a BAR..

One of the deputies did have one, it's in the Morphy's link above. There are pictures of guns atop B&C's car that show a model 8.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an 8 in .25Rem and a 81 in .300Sav. About 20 years ago a local GS had a FN 1900 with removable mag in .35Rem for $425. I bought it and had fun shooting it and checking the history on the 8/81 forum, then our great gun registration came in and turned out it had been stolen in a home break in back in 1985 so had to surrender it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at these pictures only does one thing for me. It cements the fact that we have REALLY f u c k e d up the way we live and think. Most of the guys in these pictures more than likely owned 1 or 2 guns and those guns were extensions of themselves. They were dressed in the very latest hunting fashions and more often than not were holding the only deer rifle they owned. Thank you, Randy for sharing this link. It DID bring back a ton of memories. Do you think in the back of their minds they were thinking of that guy 75-100 years down the road who would call them a moron for modifying their rifle?

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
True, on the face of it. But remember that the average working stiff 80-130 years ago enjoyed a pretty dismal standard of living, and not conceived of a life in which there was discretionary income for incidental toys that would rarely if ever actually get used. I doubt a single one of those guys would've declined a chance to own a few more guns just for the heck of it. The overseers of those working stiffs did have the money/time/inclination to jump from one gun to the next in search of The One Ideal Rifle. Now, we moderns who are the working stiffs, enjoy a standard of living that rivals those guy's overseers.

Would I willingly go back and live in 1920? Not on your life, but I wouldn't mind visiting for a couple weeks.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Yeah, my Mom grew up in a house that didn't have electricity or running water. At the time that was fairly commonplace around here for people who didn't live in town.

As much as I wax nostalgic for the "old days" I think I'd take a hard pass on ever wanting to live in them, too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Longbeardking / gnoahhh / zcm82,

Good posts - thank you - these reflect why I enjoy coming to this forum every day. The discussion is civil and respectful (almost always) with thoughtfully expressed perspectives. Sometimes the posts challenge my opinions. Thank all of you in this forum for your contributions.

As for the old days, I do suspect that people were more appreciative of the blessings in their lives. I could use a dose of that.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember my Grandparents and that whole generation that survived the great depression and the second world war. They didn't have hardly anything, and they never complained. If they had a job, a roof over their head and car to drive to town and church on Sunday they were happy. I know that generation was happier than my generation or my children's generation who have everything and all they do is complain, and are just generally miserable.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We hunted with poor orange grove workers in the 1950's and 60's. They had electricity but no running water in the houses. They had a well with an electric water pump outside and that was it. My Father often remarked how happy they were. Their lives were much simpler than ours. My life is way too complicated now and I wish it was simpler.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't get the lamenting for the "old" days/ways. You can still live without modern convinces if you want to, nothing is stopping anyone from doing so.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by zcm82
Yeah, my Mom grew up in a house that didn't have electricity or running water. At the time that was fairly commonplace around here for people who didn't live in town.

As much as I wax nostalgic for the "old days" I think I'd take a hard pass on ever wanting to live in them, too.
Originally Posted by zcm82

My Dad used to tell me how they had the first flushing toilet in the neighborhood. Years later he took me by the “Ranch”. He pointed out what was left of the stone spring house where they kept butter, milk, anything that needed to be kept cool. Then the foundation of the house that burnt down. He found two melted silver dollars that still had dates on them. Then he pointed and said, “that’s where the outhouse was”. I said, “you said you had a flushing toilet?” He said, “we did, it was in the outhouse.”

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
One of my friends actually lives right across the road from the property where Mom did. The house burned down 25 years ago or so, but the remnants of the barn and the chicken coop are still out there.

My grandparents sold thier stake of the farm to my great uncle and moved into town in 1960 when Mom was in high school, but my great uncle lived there until the late 70s when he retired, sold the land, and bought a house a bit closer to town that had power and water. Some city people own the land now as a deer hunting plot.

I grew up in a really impoverished area of northern MN until I was 10 or so, and there were still a few people with outhouses then, and that was into the late 80s/early 90s. As a kid I didn't realize how poor we were until we had moved to a different state and suddenly there was a phone, cable tv, etc. We had electricity and plumbing, but there was no phone line. I remember the folks having to drive to a gas station in town to use a pay phone when I was little.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well i took it up in the woods this morning. Had to make sure it functions properly and safely before i head to the range with it. Lets just say its……… definitely different. Lol. It actually shot flawlessly and has a great trigger! Hopefully tomorrow i can see how it is on paper. Thanks for all the great stories and responses.

Joe

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Glad to hear it's functional, hopefully it's a shooter, too 👍

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With 75 posts it turned out to be a great thread.

Hope you enjoy the gun Joe.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by triple_deuce
Well i took it up in the woods this morning. Had to make sure it functions properly and safely before i head to the range with it. Lets just say its……… definitely different. Lol. It actually shot flawlessly and has a great trigger! Hopefully tomorrow i can see how it is on paper. Thanks for all the great stories and responses.

Joe

Great! Thanks for starting what turned out to be a very fun and educational thread.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Great thread, did kill one 8 point buck with my 81 300 about ten years ago, still carry it now and then, but shoot it quite a bit off season. Talking about the old days, my grandfather and father had a plumbing business togeather, and one day in 1946 they went to a farm that had a dug well and outhouses to put in plumbing, toilet,and septic system. There were three girls digging a trench for the pipe, the oldest was 16. Four years later my dad married her, and I was born two years later. People always got a kick out of how they met.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I picked up one in 300 Savage a year ago since I also have a 99EG and 1920/26 in that caliber. Honestly I don't find the M81 recoil to be any worse than the other two and probably if I HAD to say, would say the 1920 kicks more. Now, there's a big difference in recoil in all models when using 180 rather than 150 grain 300Sav. I would call 200gr/35 Rem about the same as 150gr/300Sav which I think are comfortable. Love 300 Savage because its got enough power/velocity/performance for whitetails and gives very good terminal performance without heavy recoil. It's in the same class as 7x57, 30-40 Krag, 303 British... just about perfect.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
If I'm not mistaken the addition of the 300 Savage was the reason for redesigning the Model 8 to the Model 81. Can you imagine the 300 Savage with a crescent buttplate and straight grip?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
213 members (358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.