Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Where I bow hunt the ground is 100% big ass rocks under the leaves. I seldom find the arrow and the tips are always horseshoe shaped at best.
I do buy quality arrows because they fly accurately. I do use Schwackers, Slick Tricks, Thunder Heads etc.

Send it behind the leg and get the grill hot. Don’t take much for deer. For elk I use Muzzy 100gr or Montecs.

For hogs and doe these Allen heads kill 100% every time with a good blood trail.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ya know........... I've looked at those every time I've walked past them in Walmart for the last 20 years and wondered what they'd fly like.

It sure does start to make expensive venison when you screw a $15 head on a $20 arrow and whoop it through a deer.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s hard to argue when they leave an exit hole exactly like a Nosler Partition. Arrow was an Easton 6.5 Carbon. She was about 26-28 yards. Zipped thru her like a lazer. She mule kicked and made a 30 yard dash.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started using the old 125 grain 3 blade Muzzys about 10 years ago, and haven’t trailed a deer more than 80 yards since. Love em.

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've got some Montec I've had a while but never hunted yet. Believe I'll go with them, no doubt a CoC head is all around best! I've had good success with NAP Killzones, and I bought 2 packs of the Walmart $10 Allen Heads other day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've used 100grn Slicktricks ever since Rocky Mountain discontinued their 75grn Premier. STOS broadheads for the trade stuff. They're discontinued too.
Bought the kids a crossbow and did a little research. Went with SEVR mechanical broadheads. Retailers don't sell them because they can only be purchased from the manufacturer. They haven't shot anything with one yet, so I'm not pimping them, but I think they're worth looking into.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I started out with 3 blade wasp's many years ago. went to monotec for a while, then muzzys. Tried NAP thunderheads and slick tricks. They all work good if you do your part and put them in the right spot. WT Deer are not hard to kill. But The 3 blade mechanical Grim reaper has produced the best blood trails I have seen. Been using them for the last 6 or 7 years.

Entry
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Exit
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
grim reaper exit.jpg (9.21 KB, 543 downloads)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot Muzzy 4 Blade 90gr heads for years. Last couple seasons I have changed to Wack'em 100gr. Love the way the Wack'ems fly. 2 elk and 1 antelope with them so far, no issues and plan to keep using them.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've been using Thunderhead 100's for about 35yrs and have never had any reason to change. I have such an inventory built up now I'd be crazy to use anything else.

Shot a few Razorbaks back in the day they were also good heads.i actually found several in a shoe box recently, really brings back memories.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trying out the Sevr Titanium 1.5 on my sheep hunt in August. Hope I get to try one out anyway. Will also use on a KS whitetail if given a chance. Flying very good for me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
All I've used is mechanicals. Started with Rocket steelhead 125's back in the 90's and had no problems killing deer. Always a pass through and quick kills. Last season took two with NAP 3 blade shockwaves. They were the cheapest heads on the shelf and seemed to work just as well as the old Rockets. First deer I shot only went 25 yards pouring blood in buckets from a heart shot. The second went about 75 after a quartering double lung.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Since I adopted the x-bow I’ve used the Muzzy Trocar and it’s amazing. Four. mature Whitetail Bucks in 5 years and a Doe at 70 lasered yards last November. All pass through and dead in 60 yards.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Started w Wasp 3 blade 125gr back in '84.
Ran NAP and Magnus of various over next 30 years.
Been Magnus and G5 the last few.
Now trying RMS Cutthroats ( and G5 Strikers )

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rage in the cage.

But I don’t think it hardly matters much. Shot placement and penetration trump.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
QAD Exodus. Really like how well it flies. Very durable and has been deadly

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by higher_figure
QAD Exodus. Really like how well it flies. Very durable and has been deadly

My son and I both shoot the QAD Exodus and love the things. They are easy to tune for, fly like a bullet, penetrate and kill extremely well. We have about three dozen kills and have no complaints with the Exodus.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Windknot
I've got some Montec I've had a while but never hunted yet. Believe I'll go with them, no doubt a CoC head is all around best!

Just anecdotal advice.......... But I had a Montec fail to penetrate on a (hard) quartering away shot on a GOOD whitetail at about 15 yards one time. Placed the shot about one rib from the back. Shoulda exited the far armpit. Instead........the arrow ran under the hide but outside the ribcage and the head lodged in the near armpit. It's a shot I've made several times with various other heads............Steelforce.........the old Razorbak 5........... Rocky Mt............

I quit shooting the Montecs right then and there.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Magnus black hornet

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by Windknot
I've got some Montec I've had a while but never hunted yet. Believe I'll go with them, no doubt a CoC head is all around best!

Just anecdotal advice.......... But I had a Montec fail to penetrate on a (hard) quartering away shot on a GOOD whitetail at about 15 yards one time. Placed the shot about one rib from the back. Shoulda exited the far armpit. Instead........the arrow ran under the hide but outside the ribcage and the head lodged in the near armpit. It's a shot I've made several times with various other heads............Steelforce.........the old Razorbak 5........... Rocky Mt............

I quit shooting the Montecs right then and there.

Funny you should say that. One of the ranches I elk hunt on has a mantle over one of their fireplaces that is dedicated to displaying failed broadheads found in elk that are skinned and quartered @ hq…usually during rifle hunts. Last time I checked them out there were 30-40 displayed….just an estimate, as I didn’t count. Going down the line I was mentally registering the brand names. “Montec, Montec, Rocky Mtn, Montec, Montec, Montec, Rage, Montec….geez, what’s going on? Montec, Rage, Muzzy Wasp, Wasp, Montec, Montec…”

Did not see any Slick Tricks nor did I see any Exodus. Hardly scientific analysis I know, but seeing all the caved in Montec’s peaked my interest. Caved in like they had struck a cast iron anvil.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
125 grain muzzy three blade, and 125 grain magnus four blade

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve used these fixed heads; muzzy 3 blade 4 blade and mx3, thunderhead, Rocky Mountain, Allen, Magnus buzz cut, Serazor and stingers.

Expandable; shockwaves, rage 2 and 3 blade, grim reaper in every size 3 blade I think they make, spitfire 2 and 3 blade, and schwacker.

This is what I can remember off the top of my head.

Now I use grim reaper 1 3/16 3 blade (their original) is my favorite expandable and fixed I like the Magnus stinger or buzzcut.

All worked on whitetails if i hit them in the right spot, and you’ll always have problems if you don’t. When o go elk hunting it’ll be with the Magnus

Wife started with a crossbow and the crossbow rage has done well

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

321 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 48 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,438
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.