Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Flame annealing is extremely dependent on the temperature of the gas cylinder. I’ve used a 20 pound cylinder and found that I had to adjust the dwell time each time I used the device if the temperature was different. If the cylinder was cold it simply would t make enough heat to anneal properly. Gas annealing is a hit and miss proposition.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I just hold the cases in my fingers and give them a rotation or so. By then it's done. Running them into the resizilng die you can feel the brass has softened.

No, it's not going to be as consistent as the fancy machine, but it works just fine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This ^^^ When my fingers get hot, its done. Drop it in the metal coffee can.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by keith
Deep well socket also works in a drill, used the same way.
That's how I do it, with a metronome ap on my phone too keep time.
I don't see how it could be any more consistent.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BangPop
Gas annealing is a hit and miss proposition.

Only if you are a dumbfuqk

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kicking a dead horse here 100% but I kinda wanted to revisit this and get in my two cents.

Is Sharpsmans method a viable method? Absolutely. Brass is either annealed or it isn't. As long as the web isn't over heated and the shoulders/neck hit temp you're good to go.

But why in the F#$% would you wanna tighten a HOT collet on every piece of brass vs. using a socket and a pair of pliers?

Yet the guy who spends $500+ dollars is the idiot? LOL

But he's been doing it over 60 years and knows what's best...

LOL

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The only dumbfuqk in this thread is the one who gets presented with the facts and is too stupid to recognize the truth. Just to help you out, that would be you.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Higginez
Kicking a dead horse here 100% but I kinda wanted to revisit this and get in my two cents.

Is Sharpsmans method a viable method? Absolutely. Brass is either annealed or it isn't. As long as the web isn't over heated and the shoulders/neck hit temp you're good to go.

But why in the F#$% would you wanna tighten a HOT collet on every piece of brass vs. using a socket and a pair of pliers?

Yet the guy who spends $500+ dollars is the idiot? LOL

But he's been doing it over 60 years and knows what's best...

LOL

Pop the casing out of the shell holder and pop a new one in...I don't see how it could be much easier? Maybe 3 seconds?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
adam32,

The thing holding the shell holder twists so as not to let the brass fall out.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
adam32,

The thing holding the shell holder twists so as not to let the brass fall out.

Ohhh...I couldn't quite tell what it was by the pictures.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The collet DOESN'T GET HOT!!

You guys would BITCH at Jesus H. Christ!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You literally posted fishing for negative attention and are being a dick because you got it.

GFY

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
You literally posted fishing for negative attention and are being a dick because you got it.

GFY

Well....if I were 'fishing' for a DUMBASS.....you've proved I've hooked one!!

Kaliforniforcation!! What more to expect!!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
You can dig post holes by hand and many have done it for 60 years but it sure doesn’t beat a hydraulic post driver.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Kaleb
You can dig post holes by hand and many have done it for 60 years but it sure doesn’t beat a hydraulic post driver.

Pass the hydraulic post hole digger and driver for me please.

I don't care what I am doing, I am always willing to look at new ideas, and change if it makes sense

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
You guys would BITCH at Jesus H. Christ!!

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey sharpsman, please don’t recommend how to wipe your ass, we’ll really have a meltdown!! Haha 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
They’re all pissed off cuz they can’t shoot worth a s hit!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I love these threads... and the post of the guys defending buying a fancy set up for hundreds of dollars to anneal brass...

My way, I just call Hillbilly Mechanics....

Got a free 7 gallon propane tank, because places won't fill it.. because it doesn't meet some regulation from somewhere...
hell I have no problem getting it filled in rural southern Oregon... which has been exactly twice in 14 years... and it wasn't exactly needing it..
propane prices were down so I threw in another 5 to 10 bucks of propane...

I was given a "Tree" to attach to it, by one of the Scouts in the Troop that was quitting... about 14 years ago also...

the milk crate it sets in was also free....

however the one big expense was the $6 I spent on a plumbers torch to put at the top of the " tree".....

I had multiple needle nose pliers I could apply to the job of holding the brass....within the flame.

Then I went over to walmart and blew another dollar buying a little galvinized decorative bucket, that I drop the warm brass in...

That is my system... I don't " quench it " in water... I just let it air cool...

Hold a 223 case upside down in the flame and count to 6.... or a 243 to 338/06 in the flame and count to 8... then drop it in the Walmart Decorative Bucket....

I use to anneal every 4th shot but have been doing it every reload for several years now....

it must be working OK tho.... brass life being 40 to 60 reloads is not really unusual, unless using real crappy name brand range pick up brass...
such as some of this crap made in the Phillipines... I only get about 15 to 20 reloads out of those.. like Win USA head stamp....

but since the brass was just range pick up stuff, I can live with that....

Originally I did try and just work to see how far I could push brass...

Took 10 rounds of Remington 223 brass, left on the ground courtesy of Oregon State Police...

55 grain FMJ bullets, ( $35 a thousand in those days).... 12.5 grains of Blue Dot ( so 500 rounds out of a pound of powder).. and this was under Bush, so primers were cheap... like $15 a thousand...The Blue Dot powder for the experiment ran like $12 a pound in those days...

Loaded those 10 pieces of brass, 100 times... annealed every 4th time.... neck sized until needed the shoulder bumped back, which was every 8th or 9th time on average...brass looked like crap due to over annealing.... but on a whim, I've reloaded them again here and there ( having saved them), so they are on their 115th to 120th reloads up to this point in time....still with 12.5 grains of Blue Dot....

and they will still hit a 300 yd gong with out much fan fare....

As Hank Williams Jr summed life up: Country Boys Can Survive.....

HillBilly Mechanics are working out just fine....and minus the propane, which goes a LONG WAY in this type of set up... I've used less than $20 worth of propane for ALL of my ANNEALING over the last 15 years....and I have $7.00 tied up into the rest of the set up....

Even the old needle nose pliers I have used all this time, to anneal 10s of thousands of pieces of brass, is surviving just fine also...beat those pliers are from the 60s.. if not before...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I use a Tempilstick also and if one can COUNT....my system works outstandingly well! And if you trim cases to length....you'll understand just exactly how well it works....rather than trying to trim work-hardened brass!!

I'm sure it works well. Just modify your method to the driver in a vise with a socket. Much faster.

Who needs "much faster".... I'm not in a rush when reloading.... more mistakes happen at a Reload bench when people are in a hurry, than anything else....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 90 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.