Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
My grandparents in the 1970s had a ‘cabin’ in the Blue Ridge Mtns

Then had their regular home in Brooksville Fla on 55 acres. They would go stay in at their cabin for 6 weeks during July-August.

The old woman was director of nursing at one of major hospitals in Clearwater. Must of had hella vacation tine built up or able to do those ‘sabbiticals’

I was a 8-12 year old house and yard slave at the cabin during summer school break

Probably where you obtained that work ethic of yours.

Be grateful!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by MTGunner
Yup, I’m a snowbird. I have shoveled more than enuf snow. Had to go to work EVERY day. There was no such thing as a snow day for me for 33 yrs. plus.
So, now we travel from NW MT to SW NM each early Dec. After big game season is over and I have a half dozen rooster pheasants in the freezer it’s time to head south. Not at all a bit embarrassed about such. I can hunt quail from early December through mid Feb. Then, off to TX to hunt feral hogs.
BTW, no snow shoveling. MTG

What area?

My Great Uncle had a place in Truth or Consequences.

They really liked it down there.

Know a fella that just moved down south of Tucson from Idaho.
Sonoita area.
Apparently has some great quail hunting. That sounds fun.

Sonoita is stunning. And yes, lots of birds.

A winter and spring sounds nice down there. Hunt some quail and it doesn’t look far to Rocky Point for some fishing. Even over to San Diego for some long range boat fun.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
They may be pussies, but they seem to have a pretty solid retirement plan and are enjoying it.

Yeah...the bitchy bastards are miserable when home...and then migrate in great drives to roost where it's warm and bitchy.
Careful.

We have a big bunch of them here that go to Yuma.

I guess it's really nice down there. In fact...they all go to the same neighborhood.

It's wild to me...because they can't stand each other when they are here...but all move in next door together for the winter down there.

When they come back up here...they bitch about each other down there.

I think I would find a place down south with new and different people.

If you'd seen Yuma in the "olden days" of the 70's, you'd be appalled at the Yuma of today.

Hadn't been through there in years due to living up in NorCal, PA, and Northern AZ. Had to go visit my old man near the end of his life, drove from N AZ to SoCal, passed through Yuma and was stunned. Lots of very large snowbird encampments consisting of park model mfg homes with a big carport for the motorhome attached to the side. Think a somewhat upscale white trash trailer park. And with it came the traffic. A couple of years later I was in need of a late minute "get my tag application in" trip to the F&G office there and had to get off the highway and take surface streets. Holy gridlock Batman. Couldn't get through the next stoplight on the avenues before it changed to red again.

More services there now, more money flowing through no doubt and I bet the Chamber of Commerce loves it. But they kinda ruined a nice little desert town as far as I'm concerned. If the southern freeway didn't go through it, I'd likely never have a need to visit it ever again.

I know there's at least one fellow here that winters down there, so no offense to him. It's just no longer the place it was. A slightly different take on SoCal if you ask me.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm trapped on the gulf of mexico due to the heat grin As soon as I can catch a cool snap, I'm heading back north for the rest of the summer.

Dropping the back door and catching a cool wind straight off of the gulf is worth $14.00 dollars a day.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife's family hails from two small towns/country Alexandria and Petersburg, PA. They have a very nice (belongs to my wife also) cabin on 99 acres in Rothrock state forest.The extended family also has a big lodge on the property and the entire family just dumped close to 1M in rebuilding the lodge, employing a LOT of local construction folks. My FIL lives in Pensacola November-April, then spends May-November in the Cabin with my wife keeping him out of trouble. I drive/fly up several times.

We pay taxes in Florida and PA with significant contributions to the local community (he paid for rebuilding the Volunteer Fire House), local church & City Hall and a few other projects. In short, we contribute more to the community than most locals here. Once I retire (again) our plan is to extend our stays in PA through December. I don't see how ANYBODY would have an issue with this or most others here who contribute to BOTH communities.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
My wife's family hails from two small towns/country Alexandria and Petersburg, PA. They have a very nice (belongs to my wife also) cabin on 99 acres in Rothrock state forest.The extended family also has a big lodge on the property and the entire family just dumped close to 1M in rebuilding the lodge, employing a LOT of local construction folks. My FIL lives in Pensacola November-April, then spends May-November in the Cabin with my wife keeping him out of trouble. I drive/fly up several times.

We pay taxes in Florida and PA with significant contributions to the local community (he paid for rebuilding the Volunteer Fire House), local church & City Hall and a few other projects. In short, we contribute more to the community than most locals here. Once I retire (again) our plan is to extend our stays in PA through December. I don't see how ANYBODY would have an issue with this or most others here who contribute to BOTH communities.

Jorge,
You aren't doing it right.... you are suppose to tell everyone they are doing things wrong and this is how we do it back home.... over pay for real estate, so property tax's increase... and most of all join/form an HOA so you can rule over the heathens and demand civility, like no chickens and junk cars... ha

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by MTGunner
Yup, I’m a snowbird. I have shoveled more than enuf snow. Had to go to work EVERY day. There was no such thing as a snow day for me for 33 yrs. plus.
So, now we travel from NW MT to SW NM each early Dec. After big game season is over and I have a half dozen rooster pheasants in the freezer it’s time to head south. Not at all a bit embarrassed about such. I can hunt quail from early December through mid Feb. Then, off to TX to hunt feral hogs.
BTW, no snow shoveling. MTG

What area?

My Great Uncle had a place in Truth or Consequences.

They really liked it down there.

Know a fella that just moved down south of Tucson from Idaho.
Sonoita area.
Apparently has some great quail hunting. That sounds fun.

Sonoita is stunning. And yes, lots of birds.

A winter and spring sounds nice down there. Hunt some quail and it doesn’t look far to Rocky Point for some fishing. Even over to San Diego for some long range boat fun.

Sonoita is likely 5 ish hours drive from the beach at Rocky Point.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by irfubar

Jorge,
You aren't doing it right.... you are suppose to tell everyone they are doing things wrong and this is how we do it back home.... over pay for real estate, so property tax's increase... and most of all join/form an HOA so you can rule over the heathens and demand civility, like no chickens and junk cars... ha

As is the God Given right of the Landed Genrty.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I like it when they leave.

Come on Jim it’s 2022 and REALLY, it’s OK to admit that you also like it when they come….

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I think you mean your wife's dad pays and contributes in PA and your sawed off ass visits there because you married the owner's daughter.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Standing by for Powell to tell us all how tough it is too live somewhere that doesn't have winter.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Just that. Prove me wrong. I’m speaking specifically to the “guys” that have an RV slot on a 1/8 acre in a northern state and refer to themselves as a xxxx resident. But in reality they have a second (primary) home in a warmer state.

All I ask is to own it.

If the green new deal ever comes about, you’ll probably be wishing you had given this topic a little more thought…FWIW, most mammals that have any sense and are capable, migrate with the seasons.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CopperSolid
Just that. Prove me wrong. I’m speaking specifically to the “guys” that have an RV slot on a 1/8 acre in a northern state and refer to themselves as a xxxx resident. But in reality they have a second (primary) home in a warmer state.

All I ask is to own it.

We see a fair share of those "Northerners" in Florida.
How many of them 'Floridians' winter in MN???

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

All I ask is to own it.

If the green new deal ever comes about, you’ll probably be wishing you had given this topic a little more thought…FWIW, most mammals that have any sense and are capable, migrate with the seasons.
Name three that migrate from Montana to say, Texas.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

All I ask is to own it.

Divers, puddle ducks and geese.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/01/22.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

All I ask is to own it.

Mammals was the operative word.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Racist.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Valsdad

All I ask is to own it.

Human naked apes then. Big brains give us an advantage...well at least some of us apes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by Valsdad

All I ask is to own it.

Human naked apes then. Big brains give us an advantage...well at least some of us apes.

If the humans in MT were truly naked apes...................................

they best migrate south or they'd get mighty cold.

We don't have Sasquatch hair.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the bigger the brain the dumber the ape.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 22kHornet, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 1,809 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,604
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.