Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My dad has one of the lower end Vortex scopes on a 22. The other day went to shoot at something and missed several times at very close range. He put a target dot on a decent size cardboard box and it was just barely on the box.
This rifle hasn’t been hunted it’s not been dropped. So far all he has done with it is take it out of the safe and target shoot then it goes back in the safe.
There should not be any bad scopes this day and time period. I have a Vortex Viper on a rifle that so far has been trouble free but the first issue it has it will be removed permanently.

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 06/30/22.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hook line and sinker..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hook line and sinker..

He figured it would be okay just being on a 22 but nope. If I owned a company I would be embarrassed to sell something like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure it's the scope? Mounts solid, gun been dropped, has the scope been removed, was it ever sighted in, etc. Did you re-sight it in and did it stay zeroed? Just a few things to look for before scrapping a scope.

Last edited by centershot; 06/30/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by centershot
Sure it's the scope? Mounts solid, gun been dropped, has the scope been removed, was it ever sighted in, etc. Did you re-sight it in and did it stay zeroed? Just a few things to look for before scrapping a scope.

Not trying to sound like a smart aleck but yes of course it was zeroed in and has been rezeroed and mounts checked etc.
It’s holding for now but I would say he will have a new scope on it soon. Rifle is a Tilkka T1X. When the scope is holding zero that rifle is ridiculously accurate!

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Send it back to Leupold.

Sorry, brother Kentuckian, but I just couldn't help it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Hook line and sinker..

He figured it would be okay just being on a 22 but nope. If I owned a company I would be embarrassed to sell something like that.

I have a friend that has bought 5 Vortex rifle scopes and every one of them have had issues. I also know a few other guys that have had issues with theirs. Recently a guy at the range had one on an AR and he was asking me if I had ever heard of Vortex having issues. I said, "do you really want to know the answer to that question". I avoid the mothers like the plague. At one time when they first came out, places like Sportsman's whorehouse were promoting them like they were the best thing since sliced bread. I had to tell one of the idiots there to STFU, once, maybe 2 times. And no, I don't hold back in public either. You have guys here that love them, but I seriously doubt they use their scopes like I do. The cheap Vortex scopes are the worst, well maybe not as bad as Barska, but you get the idea..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunzo
Send it back to Leupold.

Vortex, Leupold, it's all the same..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by gunzo
Send it back to Leupold.

That’s funny 😆

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Hook line and sinker..

I have a friend that has bought 5 Vortex rifle scopes and every one of them have had issues. I also know a few other guys that have had issues with theirs. Recently a guy at the range had one on an AR and he was asking me if I had ever heard of Vortex having issues. I said, "do you really want to know the answer to that question". I avoid the mothers like the plague. At one time when they first came out, places like Sportsman's whorehouse were promoting them like they were the best thing since sliced bread. I had to tell one of the idiots there to STFU, once, maybe 2 times. And no, I don't hold back in public either. You have guys here that love them, but I seriously doubt they use their scopes like I do. The cheap Vortex scopes are the worst, well maybe not as bad as Barska, but you get the idea..

I get it 100%. After this happening on his 22 LR of all things I will probably avoid them as well.
Everyone brags on the Burris Fullfields but I get tunnel vision looking through them. I’m thinking of ordering a Tract Toric 2-10 soon.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
As you probably know, Vortex will send you a new scope to replace the one you are having problems with. Might be a good time to do that.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Hook line and sinker..

Bsa aka bull [bleep] artist ……….

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
First I have heard of Vortex having issues. But I had problems with one on a CZVarminter . Sent it back and Just got it returned. I have a Vortex on the cz now. Wanted more power with the new scope. Haven't had a chance to try it. But the old scope is deadly accurate. The other Vortexs I have are all good scopes. I do have a couple Burris scopes, but will never purchase another. When I get this back on a rifle, I will try and remember to tell the fire how it does.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like a lot of optics companies, Vortex sells some good stuff (so I hear) and also some crap. I prefer to buy from companies that don’t sell crap at all, if possible. Prices can be kept down by limiting options and features. Cutting corners like QC, is going to result in problems, and the finest, no questions asked warranty you can imagine is small comfort when your schitt doesn’t work when you need it to.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw 2 Vortex scope go tits up within the last month, both on F-TR 223 rifles, so heavy (17+ pound) rifles with no recoil to speak of. One a golden eagle and the other a Razor, supposedly top of the line. One lost half of the reticle, the other lost a front lens. Yep, just fell out... the only piece of vortex gear that I own is a cantilever mount for an AR, and it is a complete POS.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Only good thing about vortex, is the warranty and the marketing dept.

I have a swfa 2.5-10 that i would sell for a decent price, if your interested. I wouldnt want that scope on a centerfire, be about perfect on a lil 22 or 17

Last edited by mud_bogger; 07/01/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Hook line and sinker..

Bsa aka bull [bleep] artist ……….

I use good quality equipment:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It just drives you crazy because you can't shoot like me, doesn't it? Ha ha.. You don't really provide much to a thread, and you are all talk. A puzzy out in the real world too. You would cower down to a guy like me.. Trust me..

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I do wonder. How long do you save these targets? Do ya keep em in a binder, hang them on the wall? I just wonder

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Got to save them all so he can post a couple in damn near every post.

Originally Posted by mud_bogger
I do wonder. How long do you save these targets? Do ya keep em in a binder, hang them on the wall? I just wonder

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yup he's like Bigstick. Just spells better. Very predictable.

Last edited by mud_bogger; 07/02/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 3,041 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.