Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
MD and others:
I'd appreciate comments and insight.

I have a new-to-me 35 Whelen, since today the wind was very light, I took it out again for testing.
After shooting a few groups, I attached the Magnetospeed to the barrel and shot the last group. the POI didn't change and the group was 1.15 MOA - see below for other groups sizes' I thought that the attached Magnetospeed would change things a more than that.

I had tried 225 Ballistic Tips and 200 grain Interlocks SP. The BT shot .64 MOA and the Interlocks shot 1 MOA, 1.08 MOA. 1.1 MOA. I decided to go with the Interlocks since they will be more than sufficient for deer, IMO.

The load I was using was 9 1/2 primers, Hornady Brass, 200 grain Interlock, 58 grains of IMR 4895. The barrel length on this 700 BDL is 22 1/2". The average speed was 2,711 fps with a sp of 24. Maximum 2737 and low 2673. I used a Lyman automatic powder measure so the powder was 58 grains for 19 loads and 58.1 grain for the fifth.

The other thing is the first day I took out this rifle I had the bullets just off the lands. Today I had the bullet set back maybe a 1/4" and the bullet was crimped in. The bullets just off the lands shot 1.1 MOA.

All 5 shot groups.

Bugger

Last edited by Bugger; 06/27/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That barrel is short and stiff enough with a fairly fast burning powder that usually those are the sorta loads that aren’t affected as badly with my Magnetospeed either. My 300 RUM with about the same weight barrel and 4” more of it is quite a bit different in POI.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
That barrel is short and stiff enough with a fairly fast burning powder that usually those are the sorta loads that aren’t affected as badly with my Magnetospeed either. My 300 RUM with about the same weight barrel and 4” more of it is quite a bit different in POI.

That's what I've observed as well.

Haven't tried a MS on a .300 magnum of any sort, but have seen at least a couple inches of POI shift at 100 yards, and MUCH larger groups, when a friend of mine used on on a 6.5 Creedmoor sporter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve used the MS on everything from 22LR to the 458 Win Mag and I’m not sure I’ve seen anything that definitely concludes it does this or that. Each one has been a bit different.

I had a CA Ridgeline 300 RUM with the carbon fiber barrel that was just as unpredictable as the skinny metal barrel on my M70.

Maybe bedding or free float make a big difference.

Wonder how your NULA would react with it?

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a MS Sporter regularly on .22LR to .338 WM. As has been mention by Scott, each rifle is different. I only use it during load development, and honestly, I’ve had a couple of times where I removed the MS and my groups opened up. That one leaves me scratching my head and cussing, but oh well.

I like the MS for it size and being able to throw it in the range bag. It does have its downfalls as well, but I have lived with it so far. Now if the mini lab radar like what I’ve seen tested on YouTube becomes available and is $300 or under, then I will probably make the switch to be honest with you.

Last edited by Hudge; 06/28/22.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hudge
. Now if the mini lab radar like what I’ve seen tested on YouTube becomes available and is $300 or under, then I will probably make the switch to be honest with you.

Say what?

I’ll be looking into that…..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He's probably not referring to the LabRadar brand, but rather the AndiScan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
He's probably not referring to the LabRadar brand, but rather the AndiScan.
You are correct sir. AndiScan. I do think it will be over $300 though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a MS Sporter regularly on .22LR to .338 WM. As has been mention by Scott, each rifle is different. I only use it during load development, and honestly, I’ve had a couple of times where I removed the MS and my groups opened up. That one leaves me scratching my head and cussing, but oh well.

As you probably know, group size is affected by barrel harmonics. In those couple of odd cases the MagnetoSpeed favorably changed the barrel harmonics for those particular loads, which obviously isn't what you want.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

As you probably know, group size is affected by barrel harmonics. In those couple of odd cases the MagnetoSpeed favorably changed the barrel harmonics for those particular loads, which obviously isn't what you want.

Good point.

Which is yet another reason I built a separate stand for mine MS, sort of like the one Dirtfarmer built for his.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you guys noticed your MS units throwing error codes if the cord is not stretched straight? Seems like I fight that fairly often with Sporter, even with fresh batteries. It can be frustrating enough to where I nearly always test on a 22LR before going to centerfire and burning up test rounds that don't generate a readout.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
There have been similar conversations about this chrono before.

For people who use public ranges and do not want to cause a disturbance to others by fussing with a traditional chronograph, the MS is a good alternative. It is also faster to set up and tear down.

It is an option that some people will find suits their needs.

If you wish to shoot, measure velocities and find an accurate load at the same time, a Pro Chrono or similar is a better choice.

Life is often a series of trade offs. The MS allows you develop loads first and measure velocities later.

There are actually people around who have never owned a chronograph, but manage to take game year after year. This group demonstrates that having a chronograph isn’t necessary. A reloading manual is however. smile

It all boils down to time management.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

Yea, kinda sad when my 6.5CM handloads are always sub 1/2" groups with the chrony attached... cry

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well just put the chrony on before you go hunting. You don't have to plug it in......

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
Have you guys noticed your MS units throwing error codes if the cord is not stretched straight? Seems like I fight that fairly often with Sporter, even with fresh batteries. It can be frustrating enough to where I nearly always test on a 22LR before going to centerfire and burning up test rounds that don't generate a readout.
Never.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Mule deer and dirt farmer could you post a picture and description of the stand for the Magnetospeed ? Just bought one and look forward to experimenting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just saw your request Shawlerbrook.

When John (Mule Deer) showed his bench supported setup I just had to make one.

I had an aluminum box I made for another purpose so I did some mods and it works great. I did have to make a plywood clamp on extension for the front of the NRA style concrete bench at our range to get the unit out in front so the rifle could sit in the normal place on the bench.

The rear knob is used to get the sensor parallel to barrel. Aluminum plate is threaded for elevation shaft with locknut. The hole in the side of the sensor was enlarged slightly for a bolt that goes into a tapped hole in top of the shaft. To change elevation the top bolt is loosened so elevation shaft can be rotated without spinning sensor.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
AZ, thank you for the picture and information.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's mine again, for anybody interested. The base is a front Caldwell rest, which was really easy to modify. It fits easily on the concrete benches at the local range where I'm a life member, and on top of the Stukey shooting benches I use when not shooting at the range.

[Linked Image]

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
310 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.