Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I loved high school. Good times.

That said, no desire to relive it. Haven’t made it to a reunion yet.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I made my 50th birthday this year. This means that I KNOW that every day from here on out, is Down Hill. Many of my friends and acquaintances from HS are gone. Some are in prison. For reasons only known to my Creator, I am still here. I am thankful.

Same. My father died two weeks shy of his 50th, I'm thankful for every day.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
High school class of '71. Had our 50th (slightly late because of COVID) this year. 300 in the class, 31 known deceased, another 51 unable to be located, which suggests at least another 8 are probably dead. I liked high school but I've always been a reader and a bit of a geek. Certainly wasn't a jock nor one of the cool kids and still am not 50 years later.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Small town, small school, 11 in the class of 1956, didn't know till a couple of months ago, i am the only one left. Rio7

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I lost 6 food friends within the first 12 months after high school graduation. Drug overdose, DWI accidents, one suicide. Then at least 6 more over the next 2 years. Couple that with all the ones who were incarcerated along the same time period I wised up and figured it was time for some serious lifestyle changes. Broke ties virtually overnight and never looked back. I've seen a couple of the old crew here and there over the last 30 years, and I didn't miss much.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I stay in touch with several I care about.

Last I heard, lots with OD's, rehab and/or prison time. Our class president killed his wife or girlfriend?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by cra1948
I graduated in a class of 29. Three gone that I know of.

Dang, not bad for a 111 year old....

Illegitimi non carborundum

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The funny thing is, while I wasn't one of the "cool kids" in high school, I did have a gaggle of friends and although we've gone our separate ways and are mostly in sporadic touch, when we DO get together it's like picking up where we left off yesterday. I'm not sure why but I guess it's shared experience, including shared secrets. And, when "one of us" is gone, there's a special kind of hurt there.
I think we're at year 45 and the clock IS starting to tick faster, and the hurts come more and more.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A guy I graduated with always got straight A on his report card, never missed a day of school, and never got in trouble. I always figured he go to college and become a Doctor or something like that. Last I heard he is the town drunk and works for a small logging company.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll bet my classmates wished I was gone.

I got so drunk at my 20th reunion 5-6 years ago that I talked about how much I love black cock for an hour, to anyone who wouldn't immediately turn away. I was told I "hadn't changed" and that I'm "still an [bleep]". Passed out in the parking lot.

Good times.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never kept up with any of my HS classmates, no reunions (that I knew of, wouldn't have gone anyway), I have no idea who's alive and who's dead.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not tried to keep a count, but it seems to me that more has died from the class ahead and the class behind our class of 1965. Small school with around 40 in my class and probably the other classes were close to the same size. I knew, or at least knew the names to speak to most. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Graduated high school in 1978, in North Carolina. Couldn't get out west fast enough.

Got a phone call in 1998, from a classmate (don't remember how he got my phone #), about attending our 20th reunion. When I asked the date, he said first weekend in October. I had just drawn one of Idaho's better rifle bull elk hunts that ran from Oct 1-31.

He got pissed, when I declined the invite. I remember telling him, that I don't recall leaving anything behind, in NC.

That was 24 years ago, and I haven't had any other phone calls.

I killed my biggest bull so far, in Idaho, on the third morning of that hunt. 322" 6x7.....turning down 14 bulls before killing him.

I have no idea who has died and who are still alive, back there.....it's of no interest to me. But, I drew another elk hunt this year!

No regrets.

Andy3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
No reunions for me. Dont care.

However, did learn that a classmate died way too early from cancer. And that still makes me bummed.

Just so unfair. She was a very nice person. My school seemed to have very few of those.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/02/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Drugs and wrecks killed a couple a year, while we were in school. Think my graduating class was around 650.
Dunno who all has passed since.

Its HS. Not a milestone, merely a stepping stone.
Dont get all the nostalgia/ other.

Maybe due to size or time.

Know folks who messed up their lives trying to recapture their youth or whatever.

Not all from screwed up childhoods either.
People do some damn stupid chit.

My mom and her siblings went to a country school and were popular. Small class, damn near everybody kept in touch.

Told her she was in a cult LOL

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I went to my 50th a couple years ago. Most were sick, lame, lazy, blind, crippled, or crazy. Another gal I grew up with bit the dust last week, so says the book of face. Our town has an annual reunion in another town since the groids took over most of town. Ain’t safe for that many social security recipients to be in one place around there in the park. I may go next year and take my son as tail gunner.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My HS was suburban school outside city limits.
Hell I used to hunt and trap next door to it.

City grew and gobbled the area up.
Bussed a bunch in when I was there, now theyre the majority.
Ought to just make it a prison facility.
What a chithole.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I graduated in '75 in a class of 120. About 10% are gone now. We still get together every 5 years but had to push back our 45th a year due to the covid.
Our class is very organized and it seems we might be even closer now than in HS. It amazes me how many will travel across the country or globe to attend the reunions but several locals never show up. I really look forward to our reunions and haven't missed one yet.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I went to my 40th a couple of years ago. about 10% are gone. What I couldn't believe was how bad the health of many of them were in. The potheads and dopers were in the worst shape. The ones that never did sports or drink were next. The ones that drank beer and played sports were in good shape and healthiest. We have lost a few more since then.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Many of you are older than I. The last few years I've lost several friends two brother-in-laws probably my best friend ever. And an ex-wife. The ex-wife deal kind of really makes you stop and think she was actually younger than me even though there was no love lost not of even secretly celebrated it still makes you take pause.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (35, 32_20fan, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,409 guests, and 698 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.