Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tmitch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Ran across a nice transition .257 Roberts at the LGS today priced good at $970.............. except someone removed about $500 worth of barrel. mad Maybe still not bad for the components and the Leup. VXII 3x20 "big bore"?

[Linked Image from shop.williamsgunsight.com]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ouch! That’s exactly why the ones that remain original, continue to go up in value. I hope Bubba has trouble sleeping.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
T
tmitch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I supose a guy could have a front ramp soldered on and have an inexpensive, albeit fake, carbine.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
"About $500 worth of barrel chopped off"

Yeah that is the best description that I have heard in a while, and accurate too! It is worth the price if the stock isn't altered (bedded, floated, etc.) Put that stock on a clean unmolested model that has a pad and put the padded one on this one is what I would do. I would also part with the scope (sell or trade).

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sbrmike
"About $500 worth of barrel chopped off"

Yeah that is the best description that I have heard in a while, and accurate too! It is worth the price if the stock isn't altered (bedded, floated, etc.) Put that stock on a clean unmolested model that has a pad and put the padded one on this one is what I would do. I would also part with the scope (sell or trade).

Good suggestions. That barrel brings a tear to my eye though.. Damn..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
I supose a guy could have a front ramp soldered on and have an inexpensive, albeit fake, carbine.

You could turn it into a faux carbine. Find the right guy to install a front ramp. I don't know a good person for the job. However, I have a barrel that someone did that to and they did a pretty good job of it. In person you can't tell it had been "re soldered". Barrel is 21 or 22" I believe. Its a shame someone cut the barrel on that nice transition rifle you have there!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Transition shouldn't have scope securing holes in receiver either. Of course under the barrel circumstances... perhaps such concern is about like trying to organize rowing teams among Titanic survivors! Still, I'd want to know that the receiver isn't 'swiss cheesed'!

Concerning an original fifties plus era Win pre '64 solder on ramp...

https://pre64win.com/collections/barrels?page=6

Good luck!
John

Last edited by iskra; 06/24/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
Transition shouldn't have scope securing holes in receiver either. Perhaps such concern is about like trying to organize rowing teamw among Titanic survivors! Still, I'd want to know that the receiver isn't 'swiss cheesed'!

Concerning an original fifties plus era Win pre '64 solder on ramp...

https://pre64win.com/collections/barrels?page=6

Good luck!
John

Its a transition, so it is possible that it could have been factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts. A good example of this in Rules book, pages 131, 133, and page 138.. Good find on the ramp though. Justin has a lot of good stuff, but expensive..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Several years ago I handled a pre64 M70 in 257R that had the barrel cut to 20"........and rechambered to 257WBY

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
A good many years ago I owned a 20 inch 300 H&H (Weatherby)! That gun is responsible for me meeting a new (and still my very good friend) friend. I was at my local gun show and the man had a table; he built custom guns. I told him that I had that shortened pre 64 model 70 in 300 Weatherby in a custom stock (lots of maple spacers and inlays on layaway. I told him that I wish it was just a plain unbutchered 30-06. He said if it is a true H&H action he would make that happen as he needed one to build a 416. I told him it was. He handed me a pre 64 Win 70 30-06 with a pad and said send or bring that H&H (Weatherby) down when you take possession. That was a long time ago. The fact that the man trusted me, a total stranger at the time always stuck with me. We are very good friends to this day and have many transactions and searches for each other. He sold me his old Atlas lathe and taught me how to thread / fit barrels.

Last edited by sbrmike; 06/25/22. Reason: added on layaway

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
IC B3

T
tmitch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Its a shame someone cut the barrel on that nice transition rifle you have there!!!

I didn't buy it, just was "mourning" over it at the shop and had to share. I have an M70 "Bob" that hasn't been cut. It's a shame someone cut it and removed the originality (collectability?) but as set up it would be a dandy eastern whitetail rig and a hellofalot classier than similarly and higher priced Rugers and Remingtons they have on the rack.

Charter Member

szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Its a shame someone cut the barrel on that nice transition rifle you have there!!!

I didn't buy it, just was "mourning" over it at the shop and had to share. I have an M70 "Bob" that hasn't been cut. It's a shame someone cut it and removed the originality (collectability?) but as set up it would be a dandy eastern whitetail rig and a hellofalot classier than similarly and higher priced Rugers and Remingtons they have on the rack.

I definitely agree. I kind of liked your idea of soldering on a new ramp too..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn! a week late! absolute perfect candidate for a JES rebore to 9.3x62mm, one standing NEGC Express sight blade filed to fit barrel hump and barrel band front sight, Damnit! now some fugging Fred Sanford and Son salvage pirate will strip to part out or find some 7mm Mauser barrel to screw to it and be the latest and greatest long lost gem on the auction sites! crazy

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Damn! a week late! absolute perfect candidate for a JES rebore to 9.3x62mm, one standing NEGC Express sight blade filed to fit barrel hump and barrel band front sight, Damnit! now some fugging Fred Sanford and Son salvage pirate will strip to part out or find some 7mm Mauser barrel to screw to it and be the latest and greatest long lost gem on the auction sites! crazy

Our brains run on the same tracks.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Geez gunner ol buddy. Where you been? ha ha..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet Big B, one of you guys will find it on GB or GI after some time has passed with some BS liar proclaiming it's originality crazy..............as i've said before, i'm not buying rare pre-64 squat until another widow leads me down a hallway to a dark musty closet, she opened the door and pointed, there stood a pre-64 Super Grade 22 Hornet, i paid her and left ; ]

LOL BSA, i've been cutting and splitting up a cow killer of a giant forked red oak tree, along with 4 leaning hickory and two badly leaning water oak trees, they'll all make fine seasoned firewood for the Winter of '23, we gotta keep our cold natured house chickens warm, chits about to kill me in this heat old Buddy.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You bet Big B, one of you guys will find it on GB or GI after some time has passed with some BS liar proclaiming it's originality crazy..............as i've said before, i'm not buying rare pre-64 squat until another widow leads me down a hallway to a dark musty closet, she opened the door and pointed, there stood a pre-64 Super Grade 22 Hornet, i paid her and left ; ]

LOL BSA, i've been cutting and splitting up a cow killer of a giant forked red oak tree, along with 4 leaning hickory and two badly leaning water oak trees, they'll all make fine seasoned firewood for the Winter of '23, we gotta keep our cold natured house chickens warm, chits about to kill me in this heat old Buddy.

Dang, I wish I lived closer. I'd help you out with some of that work. Stay safe!!

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
^^^^^^^^^^^^^Thanks Buddy, i got my ass kicked but made it through LOL, just have a couple more trees that are now split to pile in tractor bucket and haul up to the side of the hill for drying to get good and seasoned out, hell if you were here we'd still work together, pretty sure a man can chunk split wood in a tractor bucket one handed, need the other hand for cold brews! ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
SBRMIKE,

Your experience above reinforces to me my thought that gun people (generally) are the best most trustworthy folks on the planet today. I have certainly found some more of the type on 24Campfire in my short time since joining.

TC

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 2alphas2
SBRMIKE,

Your experience above reinforces to me my thought that gun people (generally) are the best most trustworthy folks on the planet today. I have certainly found some more of the type on 24Campfire in my short time since joining.

TC

Yes, a lot of nice people here, and a LOT of good information.
I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about pre 64's, but I sure have learned a bunch here.

Last edited by Winchester21; 07/13/22.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,940 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.