Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#17387319 07/02/22
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Just ordered a short action tenacity with a magnum bolt face. Was leaning toward a 338 sherman short mag with a 22 inch barrel. Torn on what chamber I want to do. Mostly for deer,hog an bear. Have you built with a defiance? What chamber did you go with? Let's see your builds!!!

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There a good action, no different than any other 700 footprint as long as you have the proper length, boltface and bottom metal for intended cartridge.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had Shaen profile, chamber, and install a barrel (280AI) on a long action anTi. I'm really happy with the end result. Like the action a lot.

I put a Proof pre-fit 20" .308 carbon barrel on a short action anTi and hunted it a fair bit last year. Very accurate, installation was super easy. I was very happy with it but decided to rebarrel to 7-08 so I've ordered a 22" pre-fit Lilja #1 for it. Depending on how the throat's cut I'll either run AICS mags or use a Hawkins M5 BDL and 3" mag box. It will be a while before I receive the 7-08 barrel.

Being that I was going to be left with the .308 pre-fit I picked up a Tenacity action. It just came back from coating so I'll probably remove it from the anTi action in the next day or so and put it on the Tenacity. Don't have any use on the Tenacity action yet but it seems very nice, though a fair bit heavier than the anTi. The rail that comes with it is pretty sweet but it pretty heavy since it's stainless rather than aluminum. If weight isn't a concern then the Tenacity seems to be an excellent deal....will know more after I put it to use.

I'll try to remember to get some pics of the anTi and Tenacity short actions and their weights and post them when I remove the .308 barrel. Could help some folks see the differences and make decisions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have 2 Defiance Rebel short action builds, both 7MM-08's built by Shaen who did a fantastic job. May have send him another box of parts for a new build since the 1st two turned out so good!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I had Shaen profile, chamber, and install a barrel (280AI) on a long action anTi. I'm really happy with the end result. Like the action a lot.

I put a Proof pre-fit 20" .308 carbon barrel on a short action anTi and hunted it a fair bit last year. Very accurate, installation was super easy. I was very happy with it but decided to rebarrel to 7-08 so I've ordered a 22" pre-fit Lilja #1 for it. Depending on how the throat's cut I'll either run AICS mags or use a Hawkins M5 BDL and 3" mag box. It will be a while before I receive the 7-08 barrel.

Being that I was going to be left with the .308 pre-fit I picked up a Tenacity action. It just came back from coating so I'll probably remove it from the anTi action in the next day or so and put it on the Tenacity. Don't have any use on the Tenacity action yet but it seems very nice, though a fair bit heavier than the anTi. The rail that comes with it is pretty sweet but it pretty heavy since it's stainless rather than aluminum. If weight isn't a concern then the Tenacity seems to be an excellent deal....will know more after I put it to use.

I'll try to remember to get some pics of the anTi and Tenacity short actions and their weights and post them when I remove the .308 barrel. Could help some folks see the differences and make decisions.

There are pics with weights of my AnTi short action in this thread. I talked to Shaen yesterday. I plan to ship it along with my other parts to him next week.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-action-receiver-components#Post16906171

Last edited by drano 25; 07/02/22.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I appreciate all the input gentleman! Shaen does fabulous work. He barreled an action for me last year.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Back to the OP's original question about chambering.... I've not played with a Sherman SM or researched it, but if OAL's can stay under 3" with the bullets you wish to use it would probably work well in the Tenacity. I think the Tenacity is made with either a BDL or DBM magazine cut so that could make a difference depending on what you're wanting to do for bottom metal/mag box. I knew I was going to use AICS mags with mine so I ordered the DBM cut.

I pulled the proof .308 barrel off of my anTi today and installed it on the Tenacity. Degreased and loctited the base, mounted and leveled scope, put it in a MDT chassis until I can remove bedding from another stock I'm going to put it in. The barrel swap is just to easy....it may ruin me. I took pics of the action/bolt/rail weights and I'll try to post them in the thread above tomorrow. Pretty interesting the difference between it and the anTi.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Defiance Deviant left-handed action that was barreled by Southern Precision Rifles (bugholes.com) in 6.5 Creedmoor, I put it in an MPA Competition chassis. It is one of my most accurate rifles. As for the action, I have Borden, Surgeon, Bighorn and blueprinted Remingtons. The Defiance is the best of them all in terms of finish. I would definitely buy another Defiance if in the market but it would have to be one of theirs that guarantees headspace.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
i like my defiance but prefer the borden ...the defiance is clunky when i operate the bolt the borden smooth as glass

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta love that smooth as glass part.
Wishing y’all the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I appreciate the responses gentleman. I am still torn on what chambering I am going to go with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd build whatever would shoot a 6.5 caliber Berger 140 vld the best. Thinking on that bolt face a PRC would be the easy button.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
See my post on the anTi built in rail. The scope rail spacing is not Picatinney spec. You can't swap scopes. If I ordered a built in rail I would want that flexibility

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
See my post on the anTi built in rail. The scope rail spacing is not Picatinney spec. You can't swap scopes. If I ordered a built in rail I would want that flexibility
Have a picture of the issue?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No. Hold a picatinney rail along side an anTi. If you match up the slots on the rear bridge, the front ones will be slightly off

NRA Benefactor Member

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
7mmsaum.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
350 Remington mag

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The one i had the issue with is 7 saum

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Sherman rounds are interesting in theory but the velocities typically posted are often suspect and have had no actual pressure testing done, just standard pressure “signs”. Odd to me to market a round without actual pressure data when a Pressure Trace is about $1000.

Rich’s rounds are mostly just shortened .100” from the parent, taper blown out and essentially an Ackley shoulder and reportedly get and extra 150fps at “less” pressure then a standard saum or wsm comparable.

Speed of course = pressure but he seems to think otherwise and since his brass (ADG made) doesn’t show pressure he says it’s fine. Adg like Lapua is harder then Win, RP etc and won’t show pressure as soon/easy but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

I’ve had 2 Sherman chambered rifles and never gotten the velocities stared at pressure levels I felt were entirely safe.

Just my .02

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
The Sherman rounds are interesting in theory but the velocities typically posted are often suspect and have had no actual pressure testing done, just standard pressure “signs”. Odd to me to market a round without actual pressure data when a Pressure Trace is about $1000.

Rich’s rounds are mostly just shortened .100” from the parent, taper blown out and essentially an Ackley shoulder and reportedly get and extra 150fps at “less” pressure then a standard saum or wsm comparable.

Speed of course = pressure but he seems to think otherwise and since his brass (ADG made) doesn’t show pressure he says it’s fine. Adg like Lapua is harder then Win, RP etc and won’t show pressure as soon/easy but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

I’ve had 2 Sherman chambered rifles and never gotten the velocities stared at pressure levels I felt were entirely safe.

Just my .02

Thank you!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 54 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,200
Posts18,466,008
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.