Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just ordered my 4th Defiance action.

2 Tenacity and 2 Anti, thinking about a 3rd Anti.

Tenacity - 7mm-08

Anti - 280 Ackley
Anti - 25-280 Ackley
Anti - 26-280 Ackley

Leaves me with a long action Tenacity with a standard bolt face.

Considering a 6mm-280 Ackley

I just went with the 25 & 26 monikers to be different, so if I did a 6mm, it'd be a 24-280 Ackley.

You can now get a Tenacity, Anti or AntiX with either 5* or 10* more downward angle on the bolt handle to increase clearance between the handle and any ocular.

I ordered from Pucker Factor Precision, he had quite a bit of inventory and was honoring current prices on his inventory even though Defiance increased prices across the board.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Darryle
You can now get a Tenacity, Anti or AntiX with either 5* or 10* more downward angle on the bolt handle to increase clearance between the handle and any ocular.

That's a great thing. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if they will make a change to an older model?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

That's a great thing. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if they will make a change to an older model?

Yes it is and a retrofit would be nice. I'm thinking a call to Defiance is in order.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Darryle, I have a Tenacity SA 308 and I'm having trouble mounting a scope, bolt handle hitting scope at ocular end, won't cycle, have you had any sort of similar problem?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Darryle, I have a Tenacity SA 308 and I'm having trouble mounting a scope, bolt handle hitting scope at ocular end, won't cycle, have you had any sort of similar problem?

I have had this issue, eliminating it on future builds. I am ordering with the 10* handle and using the Manners stocks with their new lightweight adjustable comb.

Short of sending the action back to Defiance for the upgraded new style bolt, you could try the swept tear drop bolt handle, it is .095" smaller in diameter and a considerable bit lighter

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not quite what I envisioned as far as a 'swept' bolt handle. I'll be watching, and hoping to see that swept handle installed and how it clears the scope.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Darryle, that's the same experience I had, I was going to order high rings but I got on the phone with Defiance and they said they would warranty the bolt and "make me a new one". I took apart the rifle yesterday, pulled the barrel and shipped the receiver off to Defiance, going with a "new" design and a 10 degree bolt. I really can't understand how this ever got out the door, I've mounted dozens of scopes on all sorts of rifles and never had a problem like this. I bought my action in January and when they looked up the serial #, they said "yeah, that's an older action". Anyway, they are going to make it right but it looks like I'll be set back a few months before I can use it. I will say their actions with pre-fit capabilities makes it super easy for a DIY rifle build. I bought the action, screwed on a Proof pre-fit, ran the head space gauges through it and was ready to go (or at least I thought until the scope arrived).

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bob, I think the Tenacity, Anti/AntiX came to market and this issue was overlooked for the most part because of the tendency to use big objective high power optics that as a general rule of thumb use higher rings. My Tenacity pictured above was with a 50 mm objective Leica and low Vortex rings. The stock had a low comb that exacerbated the issue.

As I said earlier, I am going forward using Manners LRH and EH1 stocks with their lightweight adjustable comb

At 30oz as pictured with the 1" Manners pad, ARCA mount and adjustable comb, it's not a hard choice to make.

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Darryle, that's the same experience I had, I was going to order high rings but I got on the phone with Defiance and they said they would warranty the bolt and "make me a new one". I took apart the rifle yesterday, pulled the barrel and shipped the receiver off to Defiance, going with a "new" design and a 10 degree bolt. I really can't understand how this ever got out the door, I've mounted dozens of scopes on all sorts of rifles and never had a problem like this. I bought my action in January and when they looked up the serial #, they said "yeah, that's an older action". Anyway, they are going to make it right but it looks like I'll be set back a few months before I can use it. I will say their actions with pre-fit capabilities makes it super easy for a DIY rifle build. I bought the action, screwed on a Proof pre-fit, ran the head space gauges through it and was ready to go (or at least I thought until the scope arrived).

Good to hear that Defiance is going to "make things right". That said, I have a anTi and had similar issues with scope/bolt handle clearance. I called Defiance and was told based upon the info I gave them that I had the 'old' design and that they would send me the longer bolt handle. Nothing was said at the time about a 'swept' handle. Now that the gun is together, Cerakoted, and shooting well, it's a little too late to add the swept handle, which IMHO is still not enough to solve the problem.

FWIW, and in Defiance's defense, they are not the only Rem 700 clone maker that needs to take a closer look at their bolt handle design. Christensen rifles, - at least the ones I have experience with (Mesa and Ridgeline) could use some 're-engineering' of the bolt handle. Surely the engineers at the various clone makers must be aware of the ever increasing size of scope oculars, and thus the need for scope/bolt handle clearance w/o the use of rings that defeat any chance of a good cheek weld on the stock.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lots of stock there for 30 ounces! I’d like to try one.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob, I think the Tenacity, Anti/AntiX came to market and this issue was overlooked for the most part because of the tendency to use big objective high power optics that as a general rule of thumb use higher rings. My Tenacity pictured above was with a 50 mm objective Leica and low Vortex rings. The stock had a low comb that exacerbated the issue.

As I said earlier, I am going forward using Manners LRH and EH1 stocks with their lightweight adjustable comb

At 30oz as pictured with the 1" Manners pad, ARCA mount and adjustable comb, it's not a hard choice to make.

That's a great looking stock, would like to see photos when rifle is completed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WiFowler

Good to hear that Defiance is going to "make things right". That said, I have a anTi and had similar issues with scope/bolt handle clearance. I called Defiance and was told based upon the info I gave them that I had the 'old' design and that they would send me the longer bolt handle. Nothing was said at the time about a 'swept' handle. Now that the gun is together, Cerakoted, and shooting well, it's a little too late to add the swept handle, which IMHO is still not enough to solve the problem.

FWIW, and in Defiance's defense, they are not the only Rem 700 clone maker that needs to take a closer look at their bolt handle design. Christensen rifles, - at least the ones I have experience with (Mesa and Ridgeline) could use some 're-engineering' of the bolt handle. Surely the engineers at the various clone makers must be aware of the ever increasing size of scope oculars, and thus the need for scope/bolt handle clearance w/o the use of rings that defeat any chance of a good cheek weld on the stock.

I have the same scope, Leupold 5HD, on 5 CA Ridgelines, medium rings, no problems. Mine were all built in the past 3 years or less.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's a great looking stock, would like to see photos when rifle is completed.

I ordered custom reamers from Manson, so we are 10-14 weeks out according to Leanne

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have had this issue, eliminating it on future builds. I am ordering with the 10* handle and using the Manners stocks with their new lightweight adjustable comb.

Short of sending the action back to Defiance for the upgraded new style bolt, you could try the swept tear drop bolt handle, it is .095" smaller in diameter and a considerable bit lighter

Any pics of the swept handle installed?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Did Defiance give you any idea of turn-around time?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Defiance received the receiver/bolt on 8/15, I called yesterday and the new bolt was complete it was in shipping to be sent our for nitride, pretty fast turn around so far. Said to be looking for it in third week of September. So far, they have been very consistent with what they said would happen and currently being on track to meet that timeline, I hope it holds! I hope the 10 deg bolt solves my problems.

Last edited by 257Bob; 08/30/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I sent the action back I just bought and I received it back within about 3 weeks with the 10* down sweep, still clears 3 different unmodified Manners LRH, EH1 and an EH1A even with the extra downward angle. I will never order another style of action, the 2 new Anti actions I ordered are coming with the 10* downward angle and the AntiX is coming with 5* downward angle. It's going in a Manners LRH with adjustable comb and will have a Swarovski Z6 56mm scope with the BRH reticle, so there will be plenty of clearance for the ocular?

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's good to know! Are there any downsides to the 10*? You mentioned going with a 5* on your AntiX.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Now that you have me thinking about the stock, I'm hoping that won't be an issue, no clue. Stock is a McMillan Game Warden, https://mcmillanusa.com/stock/game-warden/

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's good to know! Are there any downsides to the 10*? You mentioned going with a 5* on your AntiX.

The Anti is going to have a 56mm objective in medium rings, didn't see the point of a 10* turn down, my current Anti has the original design and no issues with interference using low rings.

APR Altitude 280 Ackley

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 64 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.