Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#17387319 07/02/22
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Just ordered a short action tenacity with a magnum bolt face. Was leaning toward a 338 sherman short mag with a 22 inch barrel. Torn on what chamber I want to do. Mostly for deer,hog an bear. Have you built with a defiance? What chamber did you go with? Let's see your builds!!!

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There a good action, no different than any other 700 footprint as long as you have the proper length, boltface and bottom metal for intended cartridge.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had Shaen profile, chamber, and install a barrel (280AI) on a long action anTi. I'm really happy with the end result. Like the action a lot.

I put a Proof pre-fit 20" .308 carbon barrel on a short action anTi and hunted it a fair bit last year. Very accurate, installation was super easy. I was very happy with it but decided to rebarrel to 7-08 so I've ordered a 22" pre-fit Lilja #1 for it. Depending on how the throat's cut I'll either run AICS mags or use a Hawkins M5 BDL and 3" mag box. It will be a while before I receive the 7-08 barrel.

Being that I was going to be left with the .308 pre-fit I picked up a Tenacity action. It just came back from coating so I'll probably remove it from the anTi action in the next day or so and put it on the Tenacity. Don't have any use on the Tenacity action yet but it seems very nice, though a fair bit heavier than the anTi. The rail that comes with it is pretty sweet but it pretty heavy since it's stainless rather than aluminum. If weight isn't a concern then the Tenacity seems to be an excellent deal....will know more after I put it to use.

I'll try to remember to get some pics of the anTi and Tenacity short actions and their weights and post them when I remove the .308 barrel. Could help some folks see the differences and make decisions.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Have 2 Defiance Rebel short action builds, both 7MM-08's built by Shaen who did a fantastic job. May have send him another box of parts for a new build since the 1st two turned out so good!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I had Shaen profile, chamber, and install a barrel (280AI) on a long action anTi. I'm really happy with the end result. Like the action a lot.

I put a Proof pre-fit 20" .308 carbon barrel on a short action anTi and hunted it a fair bit last year. Very accurate, installation was super easy. I was very happy with it but decided to rebarrel to 7-08 so I've ordered a 22" pre-fit Lilja #1 for it. Depending on how the throat's cut I'll either run AICS mags or use a Hawkins M5 BDL and 3" mag box. It will be a while before I receive the 7-08 barrel.

Being that I was going to be left with the .308 pre-fit I picked up a Tenacity action. It just came back from coating so I'll probably remove it from the anTi action in the next day or so and put it on the Tenacity. Don't have any use on the Tenacity action yet but it seems very nice, though a fair bit heavier than the anTi. The rail that comes with it is pretty sweet but it pretty heavy since it's stainless rather than aluminum. If weight isn't a concern then the Tenacity seems to be an excellent deal....will know more after I put it to use.

I'll try to remember to get some pics of the anTi and Tenacity short actions and their weights and post them when I remove the .308 barrel. Could help some folks see the differences and make decisions.

There are pics with weights of my AnTi short action in this thread. I talked to Shaen yesterday. I plan to ship it along with my other parts to him next week.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-action-receiver-components#Post16906171

Last edited by drano 25; 07/02/22.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I appreciate all the input gentleman! Shaen does fabulous work. He barreled an action for me last year.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Back to the OP's original question about chambering.... I've not played with a Sherman SM or researched it, but if OAL's can stay under 3" with the bullets you wish to use it would probably work well in the Tenacity. I think the Tenacity is made with either a BDL or DBM magazine cut so that could make a difference depending on what you're wanting to do for bottom metal/mag box. I knew I was going to use AICS mags with mine so I ordered the DBM cut.

I pulled the proof .308 barrel off of my anTi today and installed it on the Tenacity. Degreased and loctited the base, mounted and leveled scope, put it in a MDT chassis until I can remove bedding from another stock I'm going to put it in. The barrel swap is just to easy....it may ruin me. I took pics of the action/bolt/rail weights and I'll try to post them in the thread above tomorrow. Pretty interesting the difference between it and the anTi.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Defiance Deviant left-handed action that was barreled by Southern Precision Rifles (bugholes.com) in 6.5 Creedmoor, I put it in an MPA Competition chassis. It is one of my most accurate rifles. As for the action, I have Borden, Surgeon, Bighorn and blueprinted Remingtons. The Defiance is the best of them all in terms of finish. I would definitely buy another Defiance if in the market but it would have to be one of theirs that guarantees headspace.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i like my defiance but prefer the borden ...the defiance is clunky when i operate the bolt the borden smooth as glass

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta love that smooth as glass part.
Wishing y’all the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I appreciate the responses gentleman. I am still torn on what chambering I am going to go with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd build whatever would shoot a 6.5 caliber Berger 140 vld the best. Thinking on that bolt face a PRC would be the easy button.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
See my post on the anTi built in rail. The scope rail spacing is not Picatinney spec. You can't swap scopes. If I ordered a built in rail I would want that flexibility

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
See my post on the anTi built in rail. The scope rail spacing is not Picatinney spec. You can't swap scopes. If I ordered a built in rail I would want that flexibility
Have a picture of the issue?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No. Hold a picatinney rail along side an anTi. If you match up the slots on the rear bridge, the front ones will be slightly off

NRA Benefactor Member

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
7mmsaum.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
350 Remington mag

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The one i had the issue with is 7 saum

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Sherman rounds are interesting in theory but the velocities typically posted are often suspect and have had no actual pressure testing done, just standard pressure “signs”. Odd to me to market a round without actual pressure data when a Pressure Trace is about $1000.

Rich’s rounds are mostly just shortened .100” from the parent, taper blown out and essentially an Ackley shoulder and reportedly get and extra 150fps at “less” pressure then a standard saum or wsm comparable.

Speed of course = pressure but he seems to think otherwise and since his brass (ADG made) doesn’t show pressure he says it’s fine. Adg like Lapua is harder then Win, RP etc and won’t show pressure as soon/easy but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

I’ve had 2 Sherman chambered rifles and never gotten the velocities stared at pressure levels I felt were entirely safe.

Just my .02

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
The Sherman rounds are interesting in theory but the velocities typically posted are often suspect and have had no actual pressure testing done, just standard pressure “signs”. Odd to me to market a round without actual pressure data when a Pressure Trace is about $1000.

Rich’s rounds are mostly just shortened .100” from the parent, taper blown out and essentially an Ackley shoulder and reportedly get and extra 150fps at “less” pressure then a standard saum or wsm comparable.

Speed of course = pressure but he seems to think otherwise and since his brass (ADG made) doesn’t show pressure he says it’s fine. Adg like Lapua is harder then Win, RP etc and won’t show pressure as soon/easy but that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

I’ve had 2 Sherman chambered rifles and never gotten the velocities stared at pressure levels I felt were entirely safe.

Just my .02

Thank you!!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just ordered my 4th Defiance action.

2 Tenacity and 2 Anti, thinking about a 3rd Anti.

Tenacity - 7mm-08

Anti - 280 Ackley
Anti - 25-280 Ackley
Anti - 26-280 Ackley

Leaves me with a long action Tenacity with a standard bolt face.

Considering a 6mm-280 Ackley

I just went with the 25 & 26 monikers to be different, so if I did a 6mm, it'd be a 24-280 Ackley.

You can now get a Tenacity, Anti or AntiX with either 5* or 10* more downward angle on the bolt handle to increase clearance between the handle and any ocular.

I ordered from Pucker Factor Precision, he had quite a bit of inventory and was honoring current prices on his inventory even though Defiance increased prices across the board.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Darryle
You can now get a Tenacity, Anti or AntiX with either 5* or 10* more downward angle on the bolt handle to increase clearance between the handle and any ocular.

That's a great thing. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if they will make a change to an older model?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That's a great thing. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if they will make a change to an older model?

Yes it is and a retrofit would be nice. I'm thinking a call to Defiance is in order.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Darryle, I have a Tenacity SA 308 and I'm having trouble mounting a scope, bolt handle hitting scope at ocular end, won't cycle, have you had any sort of similar problem?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Darryle, I have a Tenacity SA 308 and I'm having trouble mounting a scope, bolt handle hitting scope at ocular end, won't cycle, have you had any sort of similar problem?

I have had this issue, eliminating it on future builds. I am ordering with the 10* handle and using the Manners stocks with their new lightweight adjustable comb.

Short of sending the action back to Defiance for the upgraded new style bolt, you could try the swept tear drop bolt handle, it is .095" smaller in diameter and a considerable bit lighter

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not quite what I envisioned as far as a 'swept' bolt handle. I'll be watching, and hoping to see that swept handle installed and how it clears the scope.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Darryle, that's the same experience I had, I was going to order high rings but I got on the phone with Defiance and they said they would warranty the bolt and "make me a new one". I took apart the rifle yesterday, pulled the barrel and shipped the receiver off to Defiance, going with a "new" design and a 10 degree bolt. I really can't understand how this ever got out the door, I've mounted dozens of scopes on all sorts of rifles and never had a problem like this. I bought my action in January and when they looked up the serial #, they said "yeah, that's an older action". Anyway, they are going to make it right but it looks like I'll be set back a few months before I can use it. I will say their actions with pre-fit capabilities makes it super easy for a DIY rifle build. I bought the action, screwed on a Proof pre-fit, ran the head space gauges through it and was ready to go (or at least I thought until the scope arrived).

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bob, I think the Tenacity, Anti/AntiX came to market and this issue was overlooked for the most part because of the tendency to use big objective high power optics that as a general rule of thumb use higher rings. My Tenacity pictured above was with a 50 mm objective Leica and low Vortex rings. The stock had a low comb that exacerbated the issue.

As I said earlier, I am going forward using Manners LRH and EH1 stocks with their lightweight adjustable comb

At 30oz as pictured with the 1" Manners pad, ARCA mount and adjustable comb, it's not a hard choice to make.

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Darryle, that's the same experience I had, I was going to order high rings but I got on the phone with Defiance and they said they would warranty the bolt and "make me a new one". I took apart the rifle yesterday, pulled the barrel and shipped the receiver off to Defiance, going with a "new" design and a 10 degree bolt. I really can't understand how this ever got out the door, I've mounted dozens of scopes on all sorts of rifles and never had a problem like this. I bought my action in January and when they looked up the serial #, they said "yeah, that's an older action". Anyway, they are going to make it right but it looks like I'll be set back a few months before I can use it. I will say their actions with pre-fit capabilities makes it super easy for a DIY rifle build. I bought the action, screwed on a Proof pre-fit, ran the head space gauges through it and was ready to go (or at least I thought until the scope arrived).

Good to hear that Defiance is going to "make things right". That said, I have a anTi and had similar issues with scope/bolt handle clearance. I called Defiance and was told based upon the info I gave them that I had the 'old' design and that they would send me the longer bolt handle. Nothing was said at the time about a 'swept' handle. Now that the gun is together, Cerakoted, and shooting well, it's a little too late to add the swept handle, which IMHO is still not enough to solve the problem.

FWIW, and in Defiance's defense, they are not the only Rem 700 clone maker that needs to take a closer look at their bolt handle design. Christensen rifles, - at least the ones I have experience with (Mesa and Ridgeline) could use some 're-engineering' of the bolt handle. Surely the engineers at the various clone makers must be aware of the ever increasing size of scope oculars, and thus the need for scope/bolt handle clearance w/o the use of rings that defeat any chance of a good cheek weld on the stock.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lots of stock there for 30 ounces! I’d like to try one.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Bob, I think the Tenacity, Anti/AntiX came to market and this issue was overlooked for the most part because of the tendency to use big objective high power optics that as a general rule of thumb use higher rings. My Tenacity pictured above was with a 50 mm objective Leica and low Vortex rings. The stock had a low comb that exacerbated the issue.

As I said earlier, I am going forward using Manners LRH and EH1 stocks with their lightweight adjustable comb

At 30oz as pictured with the 1" Manners pad, ARCA mount and adjustable comb, it's not a hard choice to make.

That's a great looking stock, would like to see photos when rifle is completed.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WiFowler

Good to hear that Defiance is going to "make things right". That said, I have a anTi and had similar issues with scope/bolt handle clearance. I called Defiance and was told based upon the info I gave them that I had the 'old' design and that they would send me the longer bolt handle. Nothing was said at the time about a 'swept' handle. Now that the gun is together, Cerakoted, and shooting well, it's a little too late to add the swept handle, which IMHO is still not enough to solve the problem.

FWIW, and in Defiance's defense, they are not the only Rem 700 clone maker that needs to take a closer look at their bolt handle design. Christensen rifles, - at least the ones I have experience with (Mesa and Ridgeline) could use some 're-engineering' of the bolt handle. Surely the engineers at the various clone makers must be aware of the ever increasing size of scope oculars, and thus the need for scope/bolt handle clearance w/o the use of rings that defeat any chance of a good cheek weld on the stock.

I have the same scope, Leupold 5HD, on 5 CA Ridgelines, medium rings, no problems. Mine were all built in the past 3 years or less.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's a great looking stock, would like to see photos when rifle is completed.

I ordered custom reamers from Manson, so we are 10-14 weeks out according to Leanne

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have had this issue, eliminating it on future builds. I am ordering with the 10* handle and using the Manners stocks with their new lightweight adjustable comb.

Short of sending the action back to Defiance for the upgraded new style bolt, you could try the swept tear drop bolt handle, it is .095" smaller in diameter and a considerable bit lighter

Any pics of the swept handle installed?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Did Defiance give you any idea of turn-around time?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Defiance received the receiver/bolt on 8/15, I called yesterday and the new bolt was complete it was in shipping to be sent our for nitride, pretty fast turn around so far. Said to be looking for it in third week of September. So far, they have been very consistent with what they said would happen and currently being on track to meet that timeline, I hope it holds! I hope the 10 deg bolt solves my problems.

Last edited by 257Bob; 08/30/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I sent the action back I just bought and I received it back within about 3 weeks with the 10* down sweep, still clears 3 different unmodified Manners LRH, EH1 and an EH1A even with the extra downward angle. I will never order another style of action, the 2 new Anti actions I ordered are coming with the 10* downward angle and the AntiX is coming with 5* downward angle. It's going in a Manners LRH with adjustable comb and will have a Swarovski Z6 56mm scope with the BRH reticle, so there will be plenty of clearance for the ocular?

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That's good to know! Are there any downsides to the 10*? You mentioned going with a 5* on your AntiX.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Now that you have me thinking about the stock, I'm hoping that won't be an issue, no clue. Stock is a McMillan Game Warden, https://mcmillanusa.com/stock/game-warden/

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's good to know! Are there any downsides to the 10*? You mentioned going with a 5* on your AntiX.

The Anti is going to have a 56mm objective in medium rings, didn't see the point of a 10* turn down, my current Anti has the original design and no issues with interference using low rings.

APR Altitude 280 Ackley

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just ordered my second Tenacity on Tuesday, thinking this one will be chambered in 6mm CM, stainless #4 barrel from Preferred Barrels for a DIY build, thinking McMillan Game Scout and Hawkins M5 DBM with a Trigger Tech.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds VERY Seekins HAVAK First Gen-ish. Hint..................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Sounds VERY Seekins HAVAK First Gen-ish. Hint..................

Stick, nice rig! My first Tenacity is back at Defiance, they warrantied my bolt handle, it hit my scope and could not cycle bolt. They are replacing the bolt with a 10* handle which they say should fix the problem but I have no idea what a "10*" bolt looks like, mostly concerned that it won't have trouble fitting the McMillan stock. I guess I'll have to wait and see when I get it and put the parts back together. I bought the first Tenacity in January of '22, they said it was an old model and has since been corrected. I think I'll mount the scope first to see if the handle clear before I finish the total assembly. I have a CA MPR in 6mm CM now that I put in a McMillan Game Scout, I really like the 6mm CM but will sell the CA when the Tenacity DIY is complete.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your proposed build sounds sweet and I LOVE said chambering,with (5) rifles so chambered running from a Barrett FC to a Ruger RAPER. Hint.

I've yet to see a CA of any flavor worth a fhuqk and you'll undoubtedly be tickled with said blueprint,which will make the CA easy to forget. Hint.

What are you gonna do for glass? I'm going Gen2 2-12x FFP Mil Lit Bitch,on the HAVAK. Hint...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Your proposed build sounds sweet and I LOVE said chambering,with (5) rifles so chambered running from a Barrett FC to a Ruger RAPER. Hint.

I've yet to see a CA of any flavor worth a fhuqk and you'll undoubtedly be tickled with said blueprint,which will make the CA easy to forget. Hint.

What are you gonna do for glass? I'm going Gen2 2-12x FFP Mil Lit Bitch,on the HAVAK. Hint...........

To be fair, I've bought 5 CAs over the last couple of years and they all have been fine, quality as expected and shoot well enough, all wear McMillans. I've sold off two and will eventually sell off the others as I'd much rather have something that I build DIY with a Tenacity or similar (pre-fits only of course). I've got a few remaining Win 70s that I built a few years ago that will be available in a pinch so it's mostly about entertainment these days. The Tenacity's machining makes it easy for someone like me without a lather or necessary skills to cobble together some parts and build a rifle.

The current 6mm wears a Leupold 5HD 3-15x44 so that's what's going on the new 6mm. I have a number of 5HDs but I haven't really twisted the turrets much to tell if they will track as hopeful.

Looks like you have a few Arkens that need a place to roost.

Last edited by 257Bob; 09/08/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I doubt I have more than (10) or so of the cited 4-16's and they are simply amazing mechanically. The reticle is killer too. Looking at the stack of unopened Mail,there might could be a few more. Hint............

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'll have to give them a look!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
35+ Mil's of erector,zero stop,close parallax,illumination,FFP and the reticle is SINISTER. Hint................

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They do not appear readily available, where do you buy them?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
An ounce per mil?

Lightweights they aren’t.

Xtr sig 34s on those too stick?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ARKEN Direct RINK

They don't fhuqk around and deal directly(only). Hint.

You want their rings too,which are fhuqking exceptional. Hint.

Hell...I may have more than I can remember?!? Hint...................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stick,

Low or medium rings?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Low's on a Turnbolt wearing a 1913 rail,will happily clear a PSS/VS/Sendero contour,with BC's on the glass. Hint.

If you go lower base height,such as Burris Extreme 2-piecers,you'll lose the ability for flip-up's,on said contours and can barely squeeze a M24 without,as Old Glory illustrates. Hint.

Everything pictured,is wearing their Low's. Hint............

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
ARKEN Direct RINK

They don't fhuqk around and deal directly(only). Hint.

You want their rings too,which are fhuqking exceptional. Hint.

Hell...I may have more than I can remember?!? Hint...................

I'd say you have a few...I'll have to try them out. No brakes or cans for your gear?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd be VERY impressed,if someone hated Loudeners more than I. The last thing that interests me,is danglin' something off the muzzle,to change POA/POI and DOPE. Hint.................

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I didn't like them either, then I got an Area 419 Hellfire and I really like it, except have to take hearing protection with me while hunting...still working out the kinks on that one. Will have a can soon enough, as soon as the ATF sorts things out on their end, February 2022 and waiting...

Last edited by 257Bob; 09/09/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had three cans for maybe two months and there's no going back for me. Many existing rifles will stay the way they are, some will be chopped/threaded (where rifle balance will not be unduly upset), but most new additions going forward will be planned for suppressed use. Nice to mitigate recoil and blast at the same time, especially when shooting is an impromptu affair. There are decent 10-12oz .30cal cans out there now for $500-700.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm more than a touch "comfy" with glass that tracks,modest case capacity and rather nice BC's,then incorporate The Chop to improve balance/handling. That as Daily Utility Platforms go. Hint.

For Ugly Atmospherics,I'll add case capacity to the BC. Just put another together yesterday,with a .796 BC at 2925fps from a 24" Sporter and spec'd freebore. Hint.

I'm always happy to give others the first shot and then bat clean up. Hint.(grin)................

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro
I've had three cans for maybe two months and there's no going back for me. Many existing rifles will stay the way they are, some will be chopped/threaded (where rifle balance will not be unduly upset), but most new additions going forward will be planned for suppressed use. Nice to mitigate recoil and blast at the same time, especially when shooting is an impromptu affair. There are decent 10-12oz .30cal cans out there now for $500-700.

I built a 308 with a Proof barrel at 20" just for the Harvester EVO that's been on the shelf since February, still waiting...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm more than a touch "comfy" with glass that tracks,modest case capacity and rather nice BC's,then incorporate The Chop to improve balance/handling. That as Daily Utility Platforms go. Hint.

For Ugly Atmospherics,I'll add case capacity to the BC. Just put another together yesterday,with a .796 BC at 2925fps from a 24" Sporter and spec'd freebore. Hint.

I'm always happy to give others the first shot and then bat clean up. Hint.(grin)................

7mm RM, nice!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At 20",I'm purty sweet on 6BR. Hint.

Fixing to mount another Barkin' Arken on another 2950fps .796 BC Flinger,here directly. Hint.

With a 250yd zero,the reticle alone,only gets it to the 1500yd line...though SuperSonic to 2050yds+ in this morning's atmosphere. Hint................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What powder are you liking in those 7RM loads? Practically .800BC at nearly 3,000fps is beyond an impressive package for that size case.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Being tall with long arms, I prefer a 24" tube when possible, the 20" 308 with the 6" can may be a bit much but I'll give it a go. Have always had one 7mm RM or another in the safe. The present 7mm occupants include a Win 70 (1990s vintage) with a Shilen barrel at 24 in a Brown Precision stock (back when Brownells had a few) with a Zeiss Divari. I've had this rifle going on 25 years and has never failed me. Most recent addition is a CA Ridgeline in a McMillan Game Warden stock. Fine as factory rifles go but untested so far. That BR handled that bear nicely! Bullet?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JP,

I'll grant ONE "guess". Hint.

LAUGHING!............

105 A-Max Smooch and for all I know,that bullet is still going. Broke shoulders and exited at 200yds+. One and done,if only obviously. Hint.

Tough to whoop a 700 L/A and their 3.690" COAL latitude. Hint.................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah, the RL26. I've been liking it with heavies in 6.5CM and .243Win, but haven't yet burned through my RL22 stash for the 7mmRM. Nice combo there, for sure!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not too shabby. Hint.

LOVE them 180's Hint...............

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That's a great looking rig, I gotta get one of those scopes! Bipod attached with a pic rail or studs?

Last edited by 257Bob; 09/09/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't care for a 1913 bipod attachment and will always greedily take a sling stud up front. Preferences dictate flush cups on the stern,especially for Krunchentickers. I always remove the rearmost of tandem bow studs,so as to not induce a poor release under recoil...no matter the chambering. Hint.............

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
10-4

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Case in point. Hint.

I reckon I should hurry up and toss a Barkin' ARKEN on there too. Hint..................(grin)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Am thinking,it'll do. Hint.

Prolly enough for today. Hint.................(grin)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Stick, What split bases are those? Low rings work ok with that setup or are those mediums?
Thanks,
BBQ

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everything thus far pictured,is wearing ARKEN Low's. Hint.

Haven't checked the Mail yet today. Hint.................

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Got it, Thank you.

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I rather like 'em and just ordered a few more. Hint..............

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Any love for the 6-24 Arken?? Went to order a 4-16 mil and what to my surprise, they’re out of stock. Must have been a run on them lately.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are an optical and mechanical hit,wearing more fickle parallax,which are simply the bane of increased magnification. I personally MUCH prefer the '16x. Hint...............

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks. Looks like I’ll either do a 16x MOA or go 24x MIL while waiting on improved inventory.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've not shot or got any in MOA/MOA and wouldn't. The 24x is at it's best,when a '16x ain't around and nothing is more intuitive than Mil's. They track,zero and repeat,which is a great portion in dot connecting. Hint.

'24x MIL/MIL. Hint.

Even yesterday early morning,with atmospherics on my side,I was shy of 16x on 1600yd steel with .796 BC's. Hint.

Bumped into a pard,who was chasing his tail with (2) Reupolds,playing make an adjustment and "tap" "tap" "tap",only to watch the erector do something different than it's input. Mechanical sanctity,sure is soothin' and it's nice to zero in (2) shots,then go to come-ups,with back to back rifles. Hint.(grin)

Long way of saying,the '24x gets the nod,due Miltitude. Hint...................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve got a 6-24 since they were on sale and a buddies was pretty slick. Haven’t even broke the seal on mine but it looks pretty decent at first glance using his a bit.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Put it on something FUN to shoot,so you get to rattle some rounds through it. 223 CTR perhaps,if only for extrapolation? Hint...................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sent the action back I just bought and I received it back within about 3 weeks with the 10* down sweep, still clears 3 different unmodified Manners LRH, EH1 and an EH1A even with the extra downward angle. I will never order another style of action, the 2 new Anti actions I ordered are coming with the 10* downward angle and the AntiX is coming with 5* downward angle. It's going in a Manners LRH with adjustable comb and will have a Swarovski Z6 56mm scope with the BRH reticle, so there will be plenty of clearance for the ocular?

Any pics of the installed 10* down sweep bolt handle on a rifle with a scope mounted?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Put it on something FUN to shoot,so you get to rattle some rounds through it. 223 CTR perhaps,if only for extrapolation? Hint...................

That’s the plan. I’ve got the 4-20 Helos on the CTR and I can’t see much moving that off it’s place. Might have to scrounge up something else to live on.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Such things come easily,with a 1913 interface and them side by each extrapolations,tend to reveal the most. Especially with something beloved,batting first. Hint...................(grin)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Such things come easily,with a 1913 interface and them side by each extrapolations,tend to reveal the most. Especially with something beloved,batting first. Hint...................(grin)

True enough. Been messing with the thought of a 2nd CTR anyhow.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Any pics of the installed 10* down sweep bolt handle on a rifle with a scope mounted?
WiFowler, I don't have it back yet, work completed by Defiance but they had to send out for nitride so that adds a couple of weeks, should be back in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by 257Bob; 09/12/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by beretzs

True enough. Been messing with the thought of a 2nd CTR anyhow.

I would NOT fhuqking Linger. HINT.................(grin)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I knew you'd be Johnny on the spot with that!

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You talked me into another,newest GrandBaby should be here in 3wks and may as well start him right,before he's even out of the egg. Hint.............. (grin)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You talked me into another,newest GrandBaby should be here in 3wks and may as well start him right,before he's even out of the egg. Hint.............. (grin)

Congrats on the new arrival when he gets here, and yea, ain't no kid gonna suffer having a decent 223 to shoot a bunch.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rut GrandBabies will be plum handy and rather a treat! The GOOD Old Days! Hint..................

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rut GrandBabies will be plum handy and rather a treat! The GOOD Old Days! Hint..................

Yes sir. Should be able to spend some good time with the boy!

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I’d like to see some as well.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Nope, still waiting for reamers, 1 action and 1 stock to arrive. I have 2 fast twist Sendero carbon barrels, bottom metal, triggers and 1 action here at the moment. As soon as everything is buttoned up I will be happy to post pictures.

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I got the receiver back yesterday, looks great but can't really tell what's different at this point, the rings I have don't fit the receiver even though I'm told they should so ordering another set this am and will hopefully see if the bolt clears as it should.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I attempted to mount the Leupold 5HD 3-15x44 30mm in Talley Medium lightweight rings on the recently modified and returned Tenacity receiver, the bolt (modified to 10 deg) cycles but will still hit the scope if you cycle without caution. I decided to go with high rings hoping to clear the scope all together. As my previous post stated, I bought the receiver in January of this year and Defiance said it was an old bolt design and they warrantied a new bolt at no expense and about five weeks. Defiance I must say has been very good to work with. I purchased and received a newly minted Tenacity and I mounted the same scope with the medium rings and the bolt would not cycle, I don't think high rings would help this one. It come with a pic rail and it looks like I will have to use the rail and pic rings on my next build, we'll see.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's the biggest fault I've found with Defiance actions. Rail with low (.82 or .75) 30mm rings work for me as long as the scope's eyepiece isn't to large.

I've got extra Hawkin's long range hybrid rings for both long and short Defiance actions. They are just a touch higher than a rail with low rings. If you'd like to try them I'll send them to you.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It's the biggest fault I've found with Defiance actions. Rail with low (.82 or .75) 30mm rings work for me as long as the scope's eyepiece isn't to large.

I've got extra Hawkin's long range hybrid rings for both long and short Defiance actions. They are just a touch higher than a rail with low rings. If you'd like to try them I'll send them to you.

I think I have posted this before but have any of you guys tried the Rebel actions?? I know the newer AnTi's are really a nice action and the Tenacity has been great but the Rebel spec'd out right might work as far as the bolt handle/scope mounting issues. This is a Rebel with the Modified bolt handle to fit a Remington inlet stock. The scope in the picture is a S&B PM II 10x42 and the rings/bases are Talley lows. The S&B doesn't have a huge back bell but its plenty big and even with the Butler Creeks I could clear the handle, not by much but it worked. Just a thought if anyone has any future builds in the works the Rebel is worth a look IMHO.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't want to be too hard on Defiance as they have been great to work with but I really don't understand how they can design a bolt handle that won't work with a common scope, they tell me the https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018704156?pid=381965 has a large ocular end but I have five of these on Christensen Arms actions (one Model 70) and never had a problem. I had to completely disassemble the rifle to send it back and it's still a problem and the new action is worse. I'll use the pic rail on project #2 but it's not my first choice. It does have me pondering other options for my next DIY/pre-fit project (7mm PRC) but I have some time to settle that one.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I appreciate the kind offer, I'm going to sit on project #2 for a bit until I get this one sorted, new rings from Red Hawk Rifles coming in the mail today.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well, the Talley high rings arrived yesterday, mounted the scope and the bolt handle clear by about at 1/8" which should be fine. The scope objective sits about 3/8" over the carbon barrel which is not ideal but it will have to do. Next step, to the range!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=257Bob]I don't want to be too hard on Defiance as they have been great to work with but I really don't understand how they can design a bolt handle that won't work with a common scope, they tell me the https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018704156?pid=381965 has a large ocular end but I have five of these on Christensen Arms actions (one Model 70) and never had a problem. I had to completely disassemble the rifle to send it back and it's still a problem and the new action is worse. I'll use the pic rail on project #2 but it's not my first choice. It does have me pondering other options for my next DIY/pre-fit project (7mm PRC) but I have some time to settle that one.[/quote

Given any thought to a Tikka. Don't get me wrong, Defiance is a great action, albeit bolt handle clearance issues. 60* bolt lift, voids all bolt handle clean e issues.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
WiFowler, I have sold more rifles than I currently own, I was an avid Winchester 70 collector in the 90s when they went back to CRF, since then I've sold off most of my collection and put the funds into new and interesting projects. I still have a safe full of rifles ready to hunt so these days I tinker simply for entertainment. I've had many rifles rebarreled and restocked by smiths but I really have not interest in that these days as the pre-fit barrels and actions are generally available so the opportunities exceed my willingness to spend money on them. This project was my first DIY where I sourced all of the parts and tools (action wrench, headspace gauges, barrel vise, etc) and enjoyed putting it all together, really quite simple after watching many videos on the subject. Going the conventional route with lather and chamber reamer is simply out of my realm. The headspace checked out fine, go-gauge chambered as it should, no-go did not, about half a handle down before it stopped. Time on the range this weekend will tell if it will shoot. I don't see myself buying any factory rifles in the future but if I wanted an off the rack shooter, I'd give Tikka a hard look.

Last edited by 257Bob; 10/05/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
257Bob, totally understand. Like you, I've bought and sold more guns than I care to think of - and some I wished I'd never parted with - and still have multiple safes full. That being said, I too have built my fair share. Whether it was threading, chambering, etc, myself on my lathe, farming it out to a smith, or of late, a few prefits.

FWIW, the days following Hornady's 'day in the limelight' (aka 'official' release date of the 7 PRC - Oct 26) I'd hazard a guess that any number of barrel manufacturers' will be releasing pre-fit barrels. I just have that 'gut' feeling. WIth that in mind, don't give up hope of a 7mm PRC pre-fit.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Preferred Barrels has the 7mm PRC option now https://preferredbarrelblanks.com/p...y-ruckus-anti-and-anti-x-1-061x16px-950/ I have a short action Tenacity that I just bought so I'm going to build a 6mm CM to replace the one I'm selling then start to looking for a receiver for the PRC.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gotcha. My 7 PRC should ready in a couple of weeks if all goes well.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looking forward to seeing photos of that, mine will be a bit delayed but hopefully ammo will be available by the time it's built. I do handload but my gear is packed away due to a recent move and not in a hurry to set it up.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Got out to the range at hunting camp, poor rifle rest but has potential. Bought a box of the cheapest ammo I could find, Federal 150 gr as I wanted to sight it in to hunt hogs for the evening but didn't want to shoot a bunch of ammo until I got the suppresser. Fired it 11 times, this is shots 9-11. Stock was drop in, no bedding, I think it has some potential with a little tweaking.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Custom Rifle and Wildcat (really, she's an outdoor cat that showed up as a kitten and stayed).

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U

Custom Rifle and Wildcat (really, she's an outdoor cat that showed up as a kitten and stayed).
Sweet setup! Side note, cat looks posessed by the devil. lol

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yep, cat not liking interruption, she's a good mouser though...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cat does look mean, maybe the mice just give up once they see her

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Forgot, nice looking rifle

Last edited by pullit; 10/17/22.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Added a bipod...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Cat doesn't look that mean.....maybe a little defiant.....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
(Groan!)
laugh

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,185 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.