-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I shoot in a local match where we shoot silhouettes from 80 yards out to 200 yards. All of the shooting is done from a bench and almost always using bipods instead of a front rest.

Typically, we shoot several matches, including:

Unlimited Class, where anything goes

Tactical Class, which is similar to Unlimited except the scope magnification can't be turned higher than 16X

Sporter Class, which is similar to Tactical except the barrel must have a taper to it

Semi-Auto

Magnum, can be a 22 WMR or 17 HMR...but no 17 WSM

An iron sight match has been talked about and I want to either set up one of my rifles for it...or buy one.

I've been debating on either a Remington 40X, a Winchester 52B or possibly even a 54 Anschutz of some sort.

I don't have any experience shooting with irons, but I've heard a few horror stories of shooters trying to dial the elevation on a rear sight to 200 and having a hard time doing so.

What rifle would you recommend for this type of shooting? I'd prefer magazine-fed over a single shot, but there is enough time to use either.

I've got several rimfires...from Anschutz and Coopers to Sako's and Vudoo's. CZ's, Remington 541's, and a bunch of others...

I've even got a Winchester 52B...but the barrel has been shortened so I'm not sure how I can add a front sight and no idea what to use for a rear sight...

If you've read this far...I appreciate the patience to read through my rambling!

So...what rifle and sight combo would you recommend?

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Shouldnt be a big deal for a smith to cut a dovetail for a front sight on that 52.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd be looking for an older set of Redfield sights for your application. The preferred mount for the front sight would mount on an a base that is mounted to the barrel with two screws. The bases can be had in different by heights to better fit your rear setup and there are also stepped bases made with two heights where the front is moved to the lower step for the longer yard stages.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, I'm just starting to look into this. I've seen a few clamp-on front sights that might work and would give me an excuse to start shooting that old 52B.

Any advice on where to look for sight options?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rolltide
Thanks, I'm just starting to look into this. I've seen a few clamp-on front sights that might work and would give me an excuse to start shooting that old 52B.

Do you have a good gunsmith where you live??? My old gunsmith retired, but I have his cell phone number. He specialized in everything Winchester. He still does gunshows and is enjoying the retired life. A lot of older gunsmiths have sights that they can make work. Like someone else mentioned, having a dovetail milled in your barrel is a simple process. As is drilling and tapping for a mount. That Anschutz would probably be a great rifle to use with Irons as well. They tend to be highly accurate. I've shot with guys using them and they do quite well. Sounds like you have enough rifles to choose from. I'd try to make one of those work, myself.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my gun smith is in Maryland, he does this for me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rolltide
Thanks, I'm just starting to look into this.

I've seen a few clamp-on front sights that might work and would give me an excuse to start shooting that old 52B.

If you are looking to start with a target type front globe and receiver rear for the 52, I'd look for an used Redfield Olympic or International front and rear set with the target block front base. If the barrel muzzle is .750 or .810, there are barrel bands that work with those same sight blocks. The muzzles are usually turned to that diameter at the time the barrel is installed though, and it eliminates the step of timing individual holes.

I'd check ebay or gunbroker for used parts, or Champions choice for new front sight blocks.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 56 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.