Absolutely one of my fav. cartridges

GB1

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Distridr
Bill Jordan said the .38 Special is the most powerful cartridge the average man could hope to master.
As a "fan" of magnum cartridges, I'd be disinclined to argue with him.
And remember, he said that back when the average man was a man - not the weak, fat and soft version we have now.

The argument here would be the mastered .38 Spl / 9mm vs the good enough 10mm or magnum
Hmmmm, Bill said that?

Elmer Keith said that a fresh pineapple was the best toilet paper - it's on the internet so it must be true.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Lots of 9mm duty ammo these days is heavy for caliber and subsonic.

So yes, we have circled back to the .38 Special and for good reason.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Shooting 147’s out of my converted G35 is sweet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here in Virginia, it's an essentially illegal handgun hunting cartridge. Centerfire handguns here have to generate at least 350 ft/lbs of muzzle energy by the factory specs. I don't know of any, save one, factory .38 Spl round that has that kind of energy. Buffalo Bore makes a 158 gr LSWCHP +P load that makes 351 ft/lbs. That's a shame. I think it would make a dandy small game round. My GP100 will break stationary clay pidgeons at 50 yards with 130 gr FMJ Federal range loads. I want to use it for squirrels but centerfire handguns with less than 350 ft/lbs of energy are out for hunting here.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Viking: Shooting 147’s out of my converted G35 is sweet.

The only 9mm Handguns I have are "T" model BHP's. I wouldn't shoot the heavies without modifications. which I don't do. I shoot weird .38 bullets in my Model 52 also. I guess I'm fuq'd. Thank god for revolvers.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yeah, I bought a Lone Wolf alpha conversion barrel, other than using a G17 magazine, no other mods.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its been decades since I've owned a 9mm, but by far the best was a 92G Centurion. Great reliable pistol which, for some reason,, grouped at 50 yards like a bullseye gun. I was a dumbass for letting a cop buddy talk me out of it.

In the days before widely available ballistic gelatin, we used that Centurion and a 3" S&W to compare Federal's 115 grain 9BPLE load against their 125 grain JHP 357 Magnum. We used water jugs to catch the bullets at 5 and 50 yards. If we hadn't marked the jugs for each load, you would never have been able to tell the difference from the visible impact or the degree of fragmentation or expansion at either distance. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.

So yeah, even old .40+ guys like me have to admit a good 9mm, especially with todays ammo, is a real decent combination.

Last edited by SargeMO; 07/03/22.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sarge, did y’all test the 357 Sig much?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No sir Viking, I haven't.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
10Glocks - can't use a .38 even for small game hunting? That sucks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To deprive a man of the simply joy of seeing a squirrel get punted off a high limb, by a 38 wadcutter, is downright inhuman.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
10 Glocks is mistaken

Hang on tight !
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Could he have be referring to deer season?

Idk if ND changed their rules, but a fella couldn’t use a 40 cal for deer.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SargeMO
To deprive a man of the simply joy of seeing a squirrel get punted off a high limb, by a 38 wadcutter, is downright inhuman.
So true! I’ll have to tell a little story… I was out scouting new spots last year and a target of opportunity squirrel came up. I shot him with a 158 Lrn at sharp angle. After passing through a squirrel the slug ricocheted off of a knot in the tree and then off of a branch and came right for me, passing within inches of me before hitting the ground. I was a bit disappointed I didn’t get hit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by SargeMO
So true! I’ll have to tell a little story… I was out scouting new spots last year and a target of opportunity squirrel came up. I shot him with a 158 Lrn at sharp angle. After passing through a squirrel the slug ricocheted off of a knot in the tree and then off of a branch and came right for me, passing within inches of me before hitting the ground. I was a bit disappointed I didn’t get hit.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The target load of a 148 gr. .38 wadcutter at about 750 fps from an accurate pistol is great on squirrels and rabbits.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MOGC
The target load of a 148 gr. .38 wadcutter at about 750 fps from an accurate pistol is great on squirrels and rabbits.

The S&W Model 52 is one of those pistols.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by Distridr
Bill Jordan said the .38 Special is the most powerful cartridge the average man could hope to master.
As a "fan" of magnum cartridges, I'd be disinclined to argue with him.
And remember, he said that back when the average man was a man - not the weak, fat and soft version we have now.

The argument here would be the mastered .38 Spl / 9mm vs the good enough 10mm or magnum
Hmmmm, Bill said that?

Elmer Keith said that a fresh pineapple was the best toilet paper - it's on the internet so it must be true.

Written and read pre internet.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AZtwins
10Glocks - can't use a .38 even for small game hunting? That sucks

Not legally.

Originally Posted by leemar28
10 Glocks is mistaken

That's what the law seems to say.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title29.1/chapter5/section29.1-519/

Code of Virginia

§ 29.1-519. Guns, pistols, revolvers, etc., which may be used; penalty.

C. In the counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and counties east of the Blue Ridge where rifles of a caliber larger than .22 caliber may be used for hunting wild birds and animals, game birds and animals may be hunted with pistols or revolvers firing cartridges rated in manufacturers' tables at 350 foot pounds of energy or greater and under the same restrictions and conditions as apply to rifles, provided that no cartridge shall be used with a bullet of less than .23 caliber. In no event shall pistols or revolvers firing cartridges rated in manufacturers' tables at 350 foot pounds of energy or greater be used if rifles of a caliber larger than .22 caliber are not authorized for hunting purposes.

G. The hunting of wild birds or wild animals with (i) weapons other than those authorized by this section or (ii) weapons that have been prohibited by this section is punishable as a Class 3 misdemeanor.

The above law makes no distiction between small and large game. It only states game birds and animals. According to the law, you may hunt with .22 caliber pistols for small game. If you step up above .22, it must be .23 caliber or larger AND generate at least 350 ft/lbs of enery. That leaves a gap in the legal use of pistols and revolvers. According to the law, a .38 special round generating 200 ft/bs of energy is an illegal pistol for any type of hunting except nusiance species.

And any pistol or revolver over .22 is illegal unless rifles over .22 are legal. There is no provision in the law for any pistols between .22 caliber, and pistols of .23 caliber or larger AND generating 350 ft/lbs.

It's dumb, but that's the law. And I confirmed it with a friend who is a hunter and a criminal defense attorney in northern Virginia. He's the one that pointed me to this law when I asked him if it would be legal to use a .44 magnum revolver for deer in a county that had an ordnance that says "No rifles for deer hunting." I also specifically asked if hunting with a pistol or revolver using a cartrtidge greater than .23 caliber and generating less that 350 ft/lbs is legal for small game and he told me the law isn't that ambiguous, and that paragraph G is the reason I probably don't want to chance it and argue my point in court.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 07/04/22.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

72 members (160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,047 guests, and 738 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,490
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.